Post-Game Talk: Oilers win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Eberle's shot % is 20.0. Is it sustainable?

unsustainable.png

;) :sarcasm:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
That "other D-man" is Whitney, not Potter. Potter is watching his man, who is at the far face off dot.

Here, let me make this very simple for you:
screenshot1_qnyeh02qbs.jpg

In the green circle is Potter and the player he is covering. In the red circles are Whitney and the man he is supposed to be covering. Plain and simple, the second goal was either Whitney or Gagner's fault, depending on the system and responsibilities; the coach tells us it's not Gagner, so we know it's Whitney.

Any questions?

Thank you.

I would have thought Gagner was the offender myself but if the coach says its not his fualt he let someone waltz right by him with no coverage in front of the net I can't argue with him.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like Potter as a 5th or 6th guy.

I went back and re-watched replay and Potter did not play it well. He had to pivot and skate to catch Lapierre coming out of the box is true, but it was obvious while Potter was still in neutral zone that (a) pass wasn't going to Lapierre (b) Lapierre was of no danger since he was straddling blue line, going away from the net and (c) he had help in the shape of Smid coming off the bench to take Lapierre.

Potter should've turn and pressured Edler andnot given up 20+ feet inside the blueline. A guy can make a bad read or a bad play a not be garbage. Chalk it up to being out of practice and timing is off a little bit.

I also considered calling part 2 " Are neutral zones shorter in North American Rinks? "

You know we could probably analyze Edler's errors leading to a goal as well... he's a top pairing guy that was walked around and it lead directly to a goal. **** happens.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
By the way thanks to all for fulfilling the prophecy of diagrams and slideshows highlighting the assassination events.

I expect a grainy film to follow shortly with witness testimony from the upper bowl that there was a second shooter.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I am baffled and amazed by the extent and diligence of some posters in attempts to highlight who was responsible for the goals against in a team win.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I am baffled and amazed by the extent and diligence of some posters in attempts to highlight who was responsible for the goals against in a team win.

It was an extremely long offseason, everyone will go back to half watching games soon enough.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Its gotta be the lockout and all the pent up demand in us all to see hockey again. It's been almost 10 months since they won a game so maybe we just don't know how to appreciate them anymore. :)

It's like picking on all the little flaws of a newborn baby when we should just be glad its got all its fingers and toes in the right places. :)

I'm sure if the Oilers would have shut out the Nucks we'd be analyzing which shots might have been goals if Dubnyk didn't make a lucky save or Potter hadn't "accidentally" blocked the shot with his ass. :)

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB

Taking 3 minutes to post based on facts is much better use of your time than taking 10 seconds to post some BS you came up with by not paying attention.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Potter still in... their only remaining physical presence out.

I assume Hordi would come in at least or is it time for yet another softy forward like MPS?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Taking 3 minutes to post based on facts is much better use of your time than taking 10 seconds to post some BS you came up with by not paying attention.

And you're not wrong by any means. But Potter chased the winger halfway to the blue line while the play was moving to the opposite low corner. He's assuming that someone is covering his position. It was a bad pinch forward on his part. A better dman ignores the red herring and gets back in position. Potter is not that dman.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
World's foremost Hemsky skeptic here to take my beating.

I thought he was really good overall last night, he has always been dynamite getting the puck into the o-zone on the pp and last night he was dummying the Canucks there.

As long as the kid line is taking the heat, Hemsky et al should be able to light up the 2nd string players from most teams.

Awesome however, that was Jordan Eberle last night. It was nice to see the Oilers able to match a line against the Sedin line and rack up some scoring chances. The sisters average something like 11 points per game against the Oilers and it usually looks like a 5 on 3 when they're on at es.

If the Oilers new elevated level of play sticks around for a whole season... way too early to say. But it sure was nice to overpower the Sedin line on a few shifts.

You know we could probably analyze Edler's errors leading to a goal as well... he's a top pairing guy that was walked around and it lead directly to a goal. **** happens.
The goal was the second time that Eberle walked around him, and the first time Eberle did it he drew a penalty. I thought it was nicer too.

I'd love to see RNH and Hall become better players than Eberle is right now, that would be obscene. It's hard to imagine that much skill on one team tho. And yakupov too? CRAAAAAAAAAzeeeeeeeeee...

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
That "other D-man" is Whitney, not Potter. Potter is watching his man, who is at the far face off dot.

Here, let me make this very simple for you:
screenshot1_qnyeh02qbs.jpg

In the green circle is Potter and the player he is covering. In the red circles are Whitney and the man he is supposed to be covering. Plain and simple, the second goal was either Whitney or Gagner's fault, depending on the system and responsibilities; the coach tells us it's not Gagner, so we know it's Whitney.

Any questions?

Late man belongs to a winger or centre. The d should be the first to cover the first in, usually wingers or centre
Gagner or yak is to blame whatever coach says to make em feel rosey.
Regardless 3 players followed the man with the puck and it wasn't Gretzky so no excuse.

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Late man belongs to a winger or centre. The d should be the first to cover the first in, usually wingers or centre
Regardless 3 players followed the man with the puck and it wasn't Gretzky so no excuse.

No, the center in this case should have been covering the high slot, like Gagner was doing. Whitney should have been covering the front of the net, not following his own player into the corner leaving the the slot completely open. That was quite obviously Whitney's zone to cover.

Edit: Gagner was a little low but that was because he identified Kassian coming through the slot. If Whitney had been covering that zone Gagner would have been higher up where he should have been. That's probably why Kassian looks like Gagner's man.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

You're wrong. If Gagner follows Kassian all the way to the net, the Van dmen are free to skate into the slot. That goal is 100% Whitney.

Anyone blaming Yakupov or Gagner or Potter have no idea what they're talking about.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Are we seriously dumping on Gagner for getting beaten by the Sedin line? Is that how far the bar has been raised for him?

I don't think anyone ever said that he'd be matching up against elite 1st lines in the NHL. DW was a premiere offensive center in the nhl and he was a mouse in Modano's paws.

I admit Gagner has to get better but he possesses enough offense that he doesn't have to be a shut-down center to be effective on the second line. The Oilers have a 1st overall on the first line to match up head to head and they have also have a 3rd line center to match up with players like the sedins.

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006

?????? Not sure where we went from talking about the Oilers to analyzing Canucks blunders. But whatever. Eberle made Edler look like a pylon. So what does that have to do the conversation about the Canucks first goal?

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
?????? Not sure where we went from talking about the Oilers to analyzing Canucks blunders. But whatever. Eberle made Edler look like a pylon. So what does that have to do the conversation about the Canucks first goal?

Not once, not twice, but three times did Eberle make Edler look like an utter amateur. Edler had no business gauging Eberle's outside speed, not to mention Eberle's ridiculous dangles.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So what the **** was the point of Fistric being traded for if they're giving that plug potter all the ice time?

Lol, Apple tried to change **** to FCC. Priceless.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Horcoff was great. Nice to see.

Was he? He looked exactly like Horcoff to me. Decent defensively and on the draw, fumbled a bunch of scoring chances.

Are we seriously dumping on Gagner for getting beaten by the Sedin line? Is that how far the bar has been raised for him?

Right. The Sedins just do stuff like that. That is why they are amongst the league leaders in scoring for the last handful of years. Sure Potter could have skated back to the net harder, or Gagner could have picked up Kassian, or Whitney could have not started to chase Sedin into the corner. But realistically, the Sedins make a play like that every game we play Vancouver. This was just the one for last night's game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Was he? He looked exactly like Horcoff to me. Decent defensively and on the draw, fumbled a bunch of scoring chances.

He still got those chances from playing well. Sure he didn't convert on them, but he was in the right position, and created chances for himself. It's not like everyone stopped the play and handed him the puck until he shot

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Last season the Oilers only beat the Nucks once in six games... so they've basically already equalled last years success against them. :)

They'll be beating them with scores like 5-3 and 6-4 in the future. You cant keep the Sedins off the board but you can outscore them if the Oil are rolling well across all lines... not just the top line and we saw some of that last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce