Oilers WIN/LOSS Deserved Result

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
1-6-1 Not the start any of us hoped for but for those who watched every game is it deserved?

OPPONENT RESULT W-L-OL GOALIE SF-SA PP PK DESERVED?
vs Winnipeg L 5-4 0-1-0 Dubnyk 38-28 2-5 3-4 --> WIN?
@Vancouver L 6-2 0-2-0 Dubnyk 23-44 0-3 5-6 --> LOSS?
vs New Jersey W 5-4 SO 1-2-0 LaBarbera 27-25 1-4 2-3 --> WIN?
vs Montreal L 4-1 1-3-0 Dubnyk 28-27 1-4 1-2 --> LOSS?
@Toronto L 6-5 OT 1-3-1 Dubnyk 31-26 1-4 2-3 --> WIN?
@Washington L 4-2 1-4-1 LaBarbera 30-20 0-3 1-3 --> WIN?
@Pittsburgh L 3-2 1-5-1 LaBarbera 22-28 0-3 2-3 --> LOSS?
@NY Islanders L 3-2 1-6-1 Dubnyk 29-40 0-3 4-5 --> LOSS?

I think with average goaltending and a little better luck we have played .500 hockey. I had hoped for a better start but with a new coach / new system I think most of us would have been content with 4-4 to start. Based on the Oilers play (scoring chances for vs scoring chances against) not actual results what do you think the Oilers record should be? (Win or Loss no Overtime)

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Probably should have won vs Toronto and Winnipeg and lost vs NJ. 2-6 is about where they should be.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
This is pointless.

Just because the Oilers are 1-6-1, people will say we are destined for a top 5 pick and the Oilers have regressed since last year. They don't really understand how Hockey works though and just know how to look at the scoreboard.

This team is improving, give them a chance to get going with a new coach.

Do you honestly think Dubnyk's regressed to a .855 SV%?

Do you honestly think we have regressed to a 69% PK?

Do you honestly think we will average 4.38 GAPG all year?

Do you honestly think this team isn't hurting with Gagner out?

Allow things to settle out, maybe Eakin's is finding out he needs to change some strategy in his systems, maybe he see's that the team just needs more time to get used to it. He doesn't seem like a stubborn person, I'd bet he's willing to shake things up on the strategy side of things, if the team is still struggling.

I get as pissed off about losses as the next guy, I'm not part of the "step away from the ledge" crew, I'm just saying we should have a better record than we have now. 4-4, as the OP said seems about right.

Yeah, we've lost some we should of won, but you know down the road, we will win some we should have lost.

I'm sure, come January we will be in a good position to fight for a playoff spot.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
Probably should have won vs Toronto and Winnipeg and lost vs NJ. 2-6 is about where they should be.

I thought we out chanced New Jersey significantly. The only games I thought we lost the scoring chances battle was versus Vancouver and Islanders.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
I think we deserve to be exactly where we are.

Say what you want about goaltending, but our defense are still giving up too many shots in the slot and we're having too many turnovers/breakdowns.

We are scoring goals, but this team should be absoultely killing it on the PP and we are not.

Our PK has also been bad.

We played 1 period vs New Jersey and luckily our skill got us the win in the SO (after blowing a late lead)

We could easily be winless right now.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I thought we out chanced New Jersey significantly. The only games I thought we lost the scoring chances battle was versus Vancouver and Islanders.

We didn't out chance NJ significantly, we had a whole bunch of shots from the outside. Luckily they collapsed in the 3rd and we were able to win in the shootout.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
This is pointless.

Just because the Oilers are 1-6-1, people will say we are destined for a top 5 pick and the Oilers have regressed since last year. They don't really understand how Hockey works though and just know how to look at the scoreboard.

This team is improving, give them a chance to get going with a new coach.

Do you honestly think Dubnyk's regressed to a .855 SV%?

Do you honestly think we have regressed to a 69% PK?

Do you honestly think we will average 4.38 GAPG all year?

Do you honestly think this team isn't hurting with Gagner out?

Allow things to settle out, maybe Eakin's is finding out he needs to change some strategy in his systems, maybe he see's that the team just needs more time to get used to it. He doesn't seem like a stubborn person, I'd bet he's willing to shake things up on the strategy side of things, if the team is still struggling.

I get as pissed off about losses as the next guy, I'm not part of the "step away from the ledge" crew, I'm just saying we should have a better record than we have now. 4-4, as the OP said seems about right.

Yeah, we've lost some we should of won, but you know down the road, we will win some we should have lost.
I'm sure, come January we will be in a good position to fight for a playoff spot.

:handclap: Exactly the type of comment I was hoping for. With all the doom and gloom threads that have been popping up some rational thinking is nice to hear. We were a bubble playoff team to start the year and this start significantly decreases the odd's but there is still a lot of hockey left.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
We didn't out chance NJ significantly, we had a whole bunch of shots from the outside. Luckily they collapsed in the 3rd and we were able to win in the shootout.

Significantly was an overstatement. The first 2 periods featured only a few scoring opportunities on both sides and were about even. We outplayed them in the third and eventually got the win. Overall I think we out chanced them that game.

Last edited:

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Significantly was an overstatement. The first 2 periods were few scoring opportunities on both sides and about even. We outplayed them in the third and eventually got the win. Overall I think we out chanced them that game.

The NJ scoring chances were open shots from the scoring areas, that they promptly buried. No idea how you can look at a game where the Oilers are down 3-0 in the 3rd period and say they deserved the win. They deserved to lose and somehow pulled it out of the fire. A 1 in 100+ type game.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
The NJ scoring chances were open shots from the scoring areas, that they promptly buried. No idea how you can look at a game where the Oilers are down 3-0 in the 3rd period and say they deserved the win. They deserved to lose and somehow pulled it out of the fire. A 1 in 100+ type game.

If you look at it as going into the third down 3-0 did they play well enough to score 4 in the third and win... NO

Oilers had there chances in the first 2 periods it probably should have been 2-1 for the Devils going into the third with the Oilers winning 3-2 in the shootout.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Winnipeg and Toronto games deserved to be wins.

Vancouver and NYI games deserved to be a loss.

Washington and Pittsburgh are both toss ups. A good goalie would have been a game changer.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
Winnipeg and Toronto games deserved to be wins.

Vancouver and NYI games deserved to be a loss.

Washington and Pittsburgh are both toss ups. A good goalie would have been a game changer.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Played 2 really good games, 2 bad games. The other 4 were close enough to be dictated by goaltending.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Please do this for every year. Last year DD was on the plus side of winning games with tending than losing them.

In years we had Salo, Cujo, Roloson the oilers deserved to lose a monumental amount more than they did. Hell Rolosons last year here we were out shot in over 75% of the games.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
Please do this for every year. Last year DD was on the plus side of winning games with tending than losing them.
In years we had Salo, Cujo, Roloson the oilers deserved to lose a monumental amount more than they did. Hell Rolosons last year here we were out shot in over 75% of the games.

Although shots are often indicative of play they do not tell the whole story. A team can be badly outshot and still have more scoring chances than the other team. For the most part though when Oilers get 30+ shots in a game they usually have generated a lot of scoring chances as they are not a shoot first / take a lot of outside shots team.

Dubnyk seems to be at his best when he faces a lot of rubber and can absolutely steal a game where we give up 40+ shots. He seems to struggle in tight low chance games though where shots end up 25-25 and ends up losing those games more often than not. Overall last year I thought in games where goaltending was the deciding factor he won us about as many as he lost on us.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Every one is ready to jump of a bridge, but given dubs struggles, injuries and a new coach this isn't the end of the world. This team will get going. They will be 500 by Christmas..

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'll say 3-5.

New Jersey the only actual win, but goaltending sunk us vs Winnipeg and Toronto so those are the other 2 wins.

Montreal and Vancouver games we got handled. Last 3 (Washington, Penguins, Islanders) weren't beatdowns, we actually came close, but the team only showed up for about 1/3 of the game.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well they deserve the record they have as that's what they have achieved from playing like they have. Any different result is just wishful thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad