Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Oh I'd love to have him back. At a certain price point and defined role. He was never a negative presence here, loved the team and fit in nicely. Those can be hard to find gems some time.

But... he ain't no rock star like some seem to think! Hes an adequate perhaps above average player. I actually wouldn't be surprised if SJ cut ties with him.
I'm the same. I would rather of had Bjugstad back for this postseason but it was against the rules to have Arizona retain. I was looking to see how to spell his name correctly, he scored 45 points this season.

Nothing wrong with having Kostin for a year at 1M or a little more than that.

Reactions: RegDunlop

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think you are 100% correct sir.
I'd go bat shit crazy even if Ernie did that stunt. It's awesome on this side of it but....!
Plus when you're contractually obligated that is just unacceptable.

But... I like Klim!!
I hear you.
I like Klim too and would enjoy seeing him grow his game here.
The thing is it would have to be at the right price.
$2M isnt the right price.

Its possible that San Jose trades him to the Oilers and retains some salary but Klim is an RFA after next season. His salary isnt likely to go down.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
You guys are stuck in nostalgia with Klim imo.

He was a really good player for the oilers, but his usage in SJ showed why Lalonde and Woodcroft were deploying Klim 5-8 mins. He needs to produce like a 16 min player in 8 mins to have value, which he did in Edmonton, but on an elc. Overpaying for someone who needs sheltering is not worth, on an elc he was 8 mins of gold.

Reactions: JordanGalhanth

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Found this on YouTube this morning and figured it belonged here: Brian Boyle and Mike Rupp with an incredible breakdown of Hyman's goals from Game 1.

More insight in a 10-minute clip than in a whole season of "analysis" from Sportsnet:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

He was a really good player for the oilers, but his usage in SJ showed why Lalonde and Woodcroft were deploying Klim 5-8 mins. He needs to produce like a 16 min player in 8 mins to have value, which he did in Edmonton, but on an elc. Overpaying for someone who needs sheltering is not worth, on an elc he was 8 mins of gold.
lots of players in the minors that can provide the same elements as Kostin... need a pro-scouting department that can identify them and management that can pry them loose for the right price

no use using a first round pick to draft the next Kostin or Schaefer, who could end up better or a Kostin duplicate

wait until these players have to clear waivers then offer a mid round pick or trade a like valued prospect that also has to clear waivers... these players already have 3 years of pro-development

My gut says Holloway out and Brown in
probably, and it isn't a negative development path for Holloway. he'll get another opportunity this postseason. build that hunger

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

also the Oil maximized Kostin's value by using him as trade bait to dump Yamamoto, so we had cap space to sign Brown

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
no the claim was that they were targeting important players, i said if thats the case then why go after desharnais lol. the team would be arguably better with broberg in
Desharnais was efficient last game, if he's healthy and not making mistakes no use taking him out of the lineup.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
My gut says Holloway out and Brown in

I'm not sure, With Kane being a tweak away from being in pain I don't mind having Holywood in the lineup to be his stunt double for a shift or two. Same with McLovin, who (although he's white-hot right now) isn't a true top 6'er.

Unless an injury forces their hand, Carrick or Janmark (far less likely) will be the ones to tag out for Brown.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
no the claim was that they were targeting important players, i said if thats the case then why go after desharnais lol. the team would be arguably better with broberg in
They absolutely would not, and because it was clear Desharnais was a "problem" for the Kings.

Are we STILL doing the "Desharnais sucks" nonsense? He's clearly established himself as a quality NHL defenseman.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They absolutely would not, and because it was clear Desharnais was a "problem" for the Kings.

Are we STILL doing the "Desharnais sucks" nonsense? He's clearly established himself as a quality NHL defenseman.
I'd add Broberg isn't even getting in if they do happen to pull Desharnais. They'll be going to Stecher

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'll keep beating that drum of that integrity issue the league seems to have.
The DoPS is the most corrupt, garbage run department of the NHL. It’s ran by an ex neanderthal on skates who made a living being a bruiser. Maybe Lucic should take over after he’s done.

They have proven time and time again that they don’t care about safety and are consistently inconsistent. It’s a joke and every fan base knows it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Personally I thought the hit was dirty and should've been a major, but not really suspension worthy especially in playoffs.

Fines, whatever. Those might be the biggest waste of time. Probably costs them more money reviewing the play than the fines amount to

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The DoPS is the most corrupt, garbage run department of the NHL. It’s ran by an ex neanderthal on skates who made a living being a bruiser. Maybe Lucic should take over after he’s done.

They have proven time and time again that they don’t care about safety and are consistently inconsistent. It’s a joke and every fan base knows it.

Media exposure of incidents largely fuels what they do.

Oiler player does it to a Jet on a play that is in the headlines and sparked a Jet comeback? Suspension because everyone saw it.

Kings player does it to an Oiler, and it doesn't even make the highlight reels? No need to bother.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

an effective #6 dman does not equal "important" to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad