Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You're cherry picking what I said. I said he turned his offense around in San Jose. That Team was one of the worst dressed Teams in NHL history. Of course his +/- took a hit. I even touched on that on earlier postings. In Edmonton, he was pretty damn fooking good. He deserved more playing time. He earned it. He produced. He was reliable.

You said he only produced in pond hockey type meaningless games. That was a complete farce. He was great in his limited playoff time here. Very productive in fact for the limited minutes Woody allotted him. He was also very defensive minded
Okay you are entitled to think that. I don’t agree. 3 organizations (so far) don’t agree.

Reactions: capazzo

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
"Just because Kane is on the 4th line that doesn't necessarily mean he won't see 12-15 minutes. I'm sure Henrique isn't going to share every 5-on-5 shift with McDavid. Kane will get ice time, maybe a shift or two, with McDavid."

Looks like I got Kane's and Henrique's ice time predictions mixed up. And I got the lines mixed up. But I figured Evander would play a big role in game one.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Kostin is under contract with the Sharks until the end of the 2024/25 season.

Honest question...why does the status of the player matter? So if Hyman did exactly the same thing that Kostin did then it would matter....but with Kostin it doesnt matter?
Not following you here.

I think you are 100% correct sir.
I'd go bat shit crazy even if Ernie did that stunt. It's awesome on this side of it but....!
Plus when you're contractually obligated that is just unacceptable.

But... I like Klim!!

Reactions: guymez

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think you are 100% correct sir.
I'd go bat shit crazy even if Ernie did that stunt. It's awesome on this side of it but....!
Plus when you're contractually obligated that is just unacceptable.

But... I like Klim!!
If the Sharks would eat some of his contract I'd trade for a year of Klim.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Why are there so few elite goaltenders in today's game? 10-15 years ago there were Brodeur, Luongo, Thomas, Miller, Lundquist, Fleury, Rask, Kiprussoff, Quick, you name it. These days only Vasilevski and Helleybuck seem to be in that tier. The rest are more like Skinner, mas o menos.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
If the Sharks would eat some of his contract I'd trade for a year of Klim.

Oh I'd love to have him back. At a certain price point and defined role. He was never a negative presence here, loved the team and fit in nicely. Those can be hard to find gems some time.

But... he ain't no rock star like some seem to think! Hes an adequate perhaps above average player. I actually wouldn't be surprised if SJ cut ties with him.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Why are there so few elite goaltenders in today's game? 10-15 years ago there were Brodeur, Luongo, Thomas, Miller, Lundquist, Fleury, Rask, Kiprussoff, Quick, you name it. These days only Vasilevski and Helleybuck seem to be in that tier. The rest are more like Skinner, mas o menos.
Wasn't 2018 or so when they had some equipment size reductions which made a pretty big difference?

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh, did they actually reduce the equipment? I did not know.
Looks like it first came in in 2017, with some further changes to the chest protector a bit later. The NHL goalie equipment saga continues

You see a pretty quick jump in scoring in 2017. I'm not sure why it's continued to go up, but I wonder if there was some philosophy changes in offenses and lineups that took a few years to percolate.

1713935975839.png

The last time we had goal scoring above 3 per game was 05-06 which had a big bump with more powerplays (obstruction calls). Before that was 95-96.

Not to take anything away from the players. I think it's a bit of a copy cat league, but I remember when it was "holy crap McDavid broke 100 points!" and now we're getting back to with a bit more goals (and more total game) giving more opportunities for players to put up points. I am not complaining!

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Guys like Laraque who bleed Oil colours and is in Edmonton all the time I get.

Smid who works for Oil Kings and pretty much was an Edmontonian even while on LTIR with Calgary I get.

But a guy that kinda used the KHL as leverage against the team and wasn't even here a full season just seems odd.
I’d be betting that negotiation was all his agent not so much him. But the fringe guys need to go for everything they can while they can

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Looks like it first came in in 2017, with some further changes to the chest protector a bit later. The NHL goalie equipment saga continues

You see a pretty quick jump in scoring in 2017. I'm not sure why it's continued to go up, but I wonder if there was some philosophy changes in offenses and lineups that took a few years to percolate.

View attachment 858719

The last time we had goal scoring above 3 per game was 05-06 which had a big bump with more powerplays (obstruction calls). Before that was 95-96.

Not to take anything away from the players. I think it's a bit of a copy cat league, but I remember when it was "holy crap McDavid broke 100 points!" and now we're getting back to with a bit more goals (and more total game) giving more opportunities for players to put up points. I am not complaining!
Yes. I remember how dominant Crosby was in his early years, but his point totals look pedestrian now. And he was way better than the likes of Kucherov and MacKinnon. Even Pastrnak and Forsberg are now pretty much 100 point players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad