Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
On Edmonton, he was one of the best goals for ratio 5v5 on the team on the 3rd line, if notbthe best. On shit ass Detroit, sure. He was a perfect fit here.

Edit: with limited minutes played I should add.
He's a limited player. I like his size, physicality, and shot. Those are great assets for a 4th liner. But he's also slow and is often out of position. Those are pretty significant holes to fill.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
He's a limited player. I like his size, physicality, and shot. Those are great assets for a 4th liner. But he's also slow and is often out of position. Those are pretty significant holes to fill.

In Edmonton again, try and refute this fact. Was he or was he not for the minutes played overall in his time here the best best net positive player on the 3rd line? He wasn't a liability at all, for the vast majority of the time. That's a fact. He far produced far more than being a liability.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I did! I watched him here. I watched him in San Jose. Looked like a Rockstar! Maybe you should watch him.

On the Sharks it was a complete tire fire.
I already had this debate. He thrives in meaningless pond hockey. Constant missed assignments and defence being optional I guess don’t factor in to your assessment.

There’s a reason multiple teams were hesitant to load up his ice time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I already had this debate. He thrives in meaningless pond hockey. Constant missed assignments and defence being optional I guess don’t factor in to your assessment.

Yeah...this has been talked about endlessly.
Kostin proabaly wont even be in the NHL in 2 years.

Its amazing the level of lattitude a fan will give a player just because they like the players personality.
Saw the same thing with Jesse and Nail.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton

I call complete bs.

He was great in many meaningful hockey games especially when it counted, especially in the playoffs. He was great defensively in Edmonton. His effort was top notch. His momentum swinging abilities were tremendous. His play here proved it. I think the coaches mismanaged his time. He's at least a strong 3rd line forward. All his stats prove it in Edmonton. I seen it. He was better at getting the puck out of our own zone than McLeod, Holloway, Foegele, Ryan, Yamo, Bjugstad, Pulji..

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I call complete bs.

He was great in many meaningful hockey games especially when it counted, especially in the playoffs. He was great defensively in Edmonton. His effort was top notch. His momentum swinging abilities were tremendous. His play here proved it. I think the coaches mismanaged his time. He's at least a strong 3rd line forward. All his stats prove it in Edmonton. I seen it. He was better at getting the puck out of our own zone than McLeod, Holloway, Foegele, Ryan, Yamo, Bjugstad, Pulji..
How are his defensive numbers in San Jose? You know the place you said he turned into some star because he was finally used properly.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
How are his defensive numbers in San Jose? You know the place you said he turned into some star because he was finally used properly.

The entire team was an AHL team, especially after he was traded there. I see you have nothing else to debate especially his time here where it's far more relevant. He was still very productive in San Jose offensively. If Drai was playing there, he'd have a black-hole +/-.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I haven't seen this kind of bickering over an ex-Oiler since the Pulju trade.

Let Klim move into Hall's new house if he wants to come back... :sarcasm:

Reactions: AM

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Once an Oiler, always an Oiler. ;)

He doesn’t play top 6 on non shitty teams because his defence is terrible.
Its like somebody started the story and everybody sticks to it. his GAA here was low. Of course its high in SJ, that team sucks.

I watched several of the games with him there. he's even collecting pucks and skating out of zone and getting pucks deep. he looked like the best Shark on some nights.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The entire team was an AHL team, especially after he was traded there. I see you have nothing else to debate especially his time here where it's far more relevant. He was still very productive in San Jose offensively. If Drai was playing there, he'd have a black-hole +/-.
You brought up SJ in the first place? I already said I’m focusing on it because you said he turned into a stud there.

Being productive offensively is great but it means nothing if you give up way more. I never said anything about + / - but yah that sucks too.
He was constantly at the bottom (below his AHL team mates) defensively. You can get mad at me or go check it out.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Its like somebody started the story and everybody sticks to it. HAS GAA here was low. Of course its high in SJ, that team sucks.

I watched several of the games with him there. he's even collecting pucks and skating out of zone and getting pucks deep. he looked like the best Shark on some nights.
Yes if his GAA is high on a shitty team it means very little. If it is higher than his team mates on a shitty team then it means something.

Would you not agree?

Why do you think he got limited or no ice time on every single decent team he’s been on? I’m not challenging I’m asking.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I dont think thats the issue. The issue is that he is now under contract to an NHL team that isnt the Edmonton Oilers.
If he wants to just go to a game thats one thing...for him to have the jersey of the team that didnt sign him to that contract is another thing altogether.

I have no doubt that his teammates were looking at that going...WTF?

Just reverse the situation. What if after Hyman signed here and then (if the Oilers missed the playoffs) Hyman goes to a Leafs game with a Leafs jersey?
This board would have a freaking meltdown...lol
Comparing Klim to Hyman?? Oh my. Different issue altogether.

But let’s say Connor Brown was at a Washington capitals game tonight…doubt anyone would give a flying f***. I know I wouldn’t.

Klim clearly is a player that is on the periphery at this point . Him cheering and wearing his old jersey draped, simply suggests that he knows he had a good thing here. I said it earlier today, if he can find a way back here on a modified AAV, come on down.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes if his GAA is high on a shitty team it means very little. If it is higher than his team mates on a shitty team then it means something.

Would you not agree?

Why do you think he got limited or no ice time on every single decent team he’s been on? I’m not challenging I’m asking.
The player is playing on a new team with tremendous GAA problems. Most of the team had given up. I watched half a dozen of the games with Klim down there. Try it some time instead of assuming some counting numbers in very limited sample and duration tell the whole story.

Last time we talked about this you were denying even that Kostin has a shot and can score. now you've moved to different goal posts. In his duration in SJ he scored and produced as much as anybody on the team albeit even with limited minutes and not dressing every game. The Fans there quickly loved him. Just as many did here.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Comparing Klim to Hyman?? Oh my. Different issue altogether.

But let’s say Connor Brown was at a Washington capitals game tonight…doubt anyone would give a flying f***. I know I wouldn’t.

Klim clearly is a player that is on the periphery at this point . Him cheering and wearing his old jersey draped, simply suggests that he knows he had a good thing here. I said it earlier today, if he can find a way back here on a modified AAV, come on down.
Of course the magnitude of the player makes a difference but that isnt the point.
The point is a player under contract sporting his former teams jersey at playoff game.

Pick the player...its a very bad look.

Reactions: JordanGalhanth

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The player is playing on a new team with tremendous GAA problems. Most of the team had given up. I watched half a dozen of the games with Klim down there. Try it some time instead of assuming some counting numbers in very limited sample and duration tell the whole story.

Last time we talked about this you were denying even that Kostin has a shot and can score. now you've moved to different goal posts. In his duration in SJ he scored and produced as much as anybody on the team albeit even with limited minutes and not dressing every game. The Fans there quickly loved him. Just as many did here.
That’s because you keep saying Kostin is a sniper. He’s not and NEVER was.

Anyways I’m done. Sure you are right he’s amazing.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Yeah...this has been talked about endlessly.
Kostin proabaly wont even be in the NHL in 2 years.

Its amazing the level of lattitude a fan will give a player just because they like the players personality.
Saw the same thing with Jesse and Nail.
I would bet against this only 24-good skater with good shot size and respectable numbers in his career for games played and minutes played, he is better than a ton of tweeners who bounce back and forth on the waiver wire, I can see him getting better year by year and settling into a 20 goal top 6to 9 forward in the future with a better defensive game

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
You brought up SJ in the first place? I already said I’m focusing on it because you said he turned into a stud there.

Being productive offensively is great but it means nothing if you give up way more. I never said anything about + / - but yah that sucks too.
He was constantly at the bottom (below his AHL team mates) defensively. You can get mad at me or go check it out.

You're cherry picking what I said. I said he turned his offense around in San Jose. That Team was one of the worst dressed Teams in NHL history. Of course his +/- took a hit. I even touched on that on earlier postings. In Edmonton, he was pretty damn fooking good. He deserved more playing time. He earned it. He produced. He was reliable.

You said he only produced in pond hockey type meaningless games. That was a complete farce. He was great in his limited playoff time here. Very productive in fact for the limited minutes Woody allotted him. He was also very defensive minded.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I would bet against this only 24-good skater with good shot size and respectable numbers in his career for games played and minutes played, he is better than a ton of tweeners who bounce back and forth on the waiver wire, I can see him getting better year by year and settling into a 20 goal top 6to 9 forward in the future with a better defensive game
I agree but the bolded is critical.
If he doesnt do that then the fact that he is strictly a 5x5 player isnt going to be sustainable in the NHL IMO.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I agree but the bolded is critical.
If he doesnt do that then the fact that he is strictly a 5x5 player isnt going to be sustainable in the NHL IMO.
He will figure out it will be what he needs to do to stay in the league and get better ice time and opportunity, he has all the tools to be an NHL regular and was drafted in 1st round because of these credentials

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I can absolutely see why his current team would be angry about it.

It also seems to be a not so subtle hint that he wishes he was never traded. It feels like his "trade me right f'ing now" moment.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He will figure out it will be what he needs to do to stay in the league and get better ice time and opportunity, he has all the tools to be an NHL regular and was drafted in 1st round because of these credentials
We shall see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad