Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Well you are probably happy that the team didnt sign him then. :D

Seriously...I guess I just dont beleive in double standards. If its the wrong thing to do then its wrong regardless of the player.
I liked him in the limited role at under one million. Would be happy if he was back under the same terms. 2 million for two years is too much for 10 points and subpar defensive play.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Yeah...its a no brainer and Kostin apparently left his brain at home yesterday.

I know what you are saying. Kostin had his best time playing hockey here. He made a mistake when asking for too much in a new deal.

I don't blame him for missing the players. SJ will waive him. He can go back to the KHL if he wants. I don't really think he cares about SJ.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I know what you are saying. Kostin had his best time playing hockey here. He made a mistake when asking for too much in a new deal.

I don't blame him for missing the players. SJ will waive him. He can go back to the KHL if he wants. I don't really think he cares about SJ.
He obviously cares about the money first and foremost. Cant blame him for that though.
Although Struds made a good point in the GYB podcast.
He basically said that Kostin (if he really believed that he was an NHL player) would have been better off staying here and building his game and then the team would have been more likely to invest in him as an NHL player on his next contract.

All that aside...I wouldnt blame the SJ players (his teamates) for having an WTF moment when they saw that.
Very poor form by Kostin.

Last edited:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
As I said...just change the scenario to Zack Hyman.
So apparently you would be fine with Hyman going to a Leafs playoff game with a Leafs jersey?
Frankly it’s sickening, I liked him in his time here but he can rot in SJ or the K.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He obviously cares about the money first and foremost. Cant blame him for that though.
Although Struds made a good point in the GYB podcast.
He basically said that Kostin (if he really believed that he was an NHL player) would have been better off staying here and building his game and then the team would have been more likely to invest in him as an NHL player on his next contract.

All that aside...I wouldnt blame the SJ players (his teamates) for having an WTF moment when they saw that.
Very poor form by Kostin.

I bet he got a call from Grier or Couture.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The Caps have Connor McMichael. I guess the closest they can come to the generational player these days.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I hear you.
I was disappointed too (seemed like a good dude) but the team absolutely made the right choice by not signing him for more than $1.5M.
I can understand wanting more loot but he absolutely crossed the line last night, you don’t pull that shit in pro sport.

Reactions: guymez

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I can understand wanting more loot but he absolutely crossed the line last night, you don’t pull that shit in pro sport.
Lolz, this is nonsense. He's paying to watch his former team and many friends play an important game while his team is SUPER out of things. If the Sharks are mad, fine, they can buy him out, but lets chill out.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Lolz, this is nonsense. He's paying to watch his former team and many friends play an important game while his team is SUPER out of things. If the Sharks are mad, fine, they can buy him out, but lets chill out.
He was sporting an Oilers jersey, that’s where he f***ed up

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He can watch the game in person...no problem. No one cares nor should they.

The problem comes with the jersey.
Thats a brain dead move by Kostin.
You just dont do that shit when you are under contract to a different team.

I promise if that if the tables were reversed and a current Oilers player did that the tolorance level by Oilers fans would be close to nil.
I am quite sure that his Oilers teamates wouldnt just blow it off either.

Oilers players be like....

"Hey look....so and so was at a NHL playoff game sporting the other teams jersey."
"What a good idea...I was a Leafs fan as a kid so I think I will go to the next Leafs playoff game sporting a Leafs jersey!"

Thankfully that would never happen.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I might be in the minority when I say this; I strongly believe Kostin is a top 6 forward. He didn't thrive in Detroit because he played mostly on thier 4th line..he moves to San Jose and he's playing a top 6 role on a real shitty team and he's turned everything around. He's the type of player that needs to be engaged. Play him where Foegele is and I'll wager an 8 pac of beer that he scores 20 and gets 10 fights and leads the team in hits. That's exactly what this team needs. Plus he's a glue guy.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Perhaps, but I’m blunt and he’s not an Oiler so who cares
Once an Oiler, always an Oiler. ;)

I might be in the minority when I say this; I strongly believe Kostin is a top 6 forward. He didn't thrive in Detroit because he played mostly on thier 4th line..he moves to San Jose and he's playing a top 6 role on a real shitty team and he's turned everything around. He's the type of player that needs to be engaged. Play him where Foegele is and I'll wager an 8 pac of beer that he scores 20 and gets 10 fights and leads the team in hits. That's exactly what this team needs. Plus he's a glue guy.
He doesn’t play top 6 on non shitty teams because his defence is terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad