Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
His GSAA for the game was 0.18. So he was there, above average. If Nurse and Ceci didn't have those dumb goals near the end his stats would have looked much better.
Expected goals against was 3.5, he allowed 4, but bad luck and a few bad dplays made it 4 instead of 3. No complaints really.

The Excpected goals also likely drops considerably without those two gifts late. It feels like that game was really moreso 2 GA on an expected 3. Overall, the keys to the game for me Skinner played a big part.

First was the breakaway save that turned into an Oiler goal. Could have been 2-1 instead of 3-0 there. Shortly after that, Hyman takes a pretty dumb penalty which is often a catalyst for a comeback for teams down 3-0 especially as LA had controlled the flow of play early in the second period, but on that powerplay, Stuart sucked up any shot on net and didn't allow any chaos to build which in turn allowed Edmonton to get the fourth goal when LA took a undisciplined penalty going after Hyman once he got out.

That five-ten minute sequence in my opinion won the game as LA was the better team for that stretch, but Skinner allowed the team to pull away.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don’t know what Ceci thought was going to happen when he threw the puck into the middle of our own zone. Could have thrown it anywhere else and it probably doesn’t end up in our net.

Really with the time left on the clock and the score being what it was, even closing his hand on the puck to throw it into the neutral zone would have been a decent play. He literally did the worst option available to him at the time.

That said, I can appreciate that it was a split second decision under duress and he's likely just trying to get the puck to the closest teammate, but I'm concerned that his instinct wasn't to just get it out of the zone instead of worrying about getting it to a teammate.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Really with the time left on the clock and the score being what it was, even closing his hand on the puck to throw it into the neutral zone would have been a decent play. He literally did the worst option available to him at the time.

That said, I can appreciate that it was a split second decision under duress and he's likely just trying to get the puck to the closest teammate, but I'm concerned that his instinct wasn't to just get it out of the zone instead of worrying about getting it to a teammate.
I think that’s the biggest issue with that pairing in general is under duress neither guy has strong instincts and then just decide to make a dumb play. They won’t think it’s dumb in the moment but having to split second think bites them.
Most really solid defenders are beasts of habit and repetition who just do the right thing cause they don’t think, they just react with instincts. Neither Ceci or Nurse are guys who I would say are strong systems players which leads to stuff like that often. They think too much.

Reactions: McDoused

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Only thing that could stop Dubois is himself.
Thats my issue with him. He is on his 3rd team now and there seems to be attitude problems. I remember he played in Cape Breton and you could see he was gonna be a power forward. If you read the Kings board, they want him gone. They figure Blake is gone after this series
Theres fans here that have suggested they wan't Drai gone rather than taking on his next contract. Kings board isn't that positive about any of their players.

People hated Jeff Carter for the same reasons they hate Dubois and didn't want Carter at the time either. But look how that turned out. Now Jeff Carter is an ahole, but thats actually not the worst thing in competitive pro sports to be a jerk.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh and I guess a 1st and a 5th for Henrique and Carrick doesn't seem so bad now. Didn't know that Henirque was one of those 'playoff performers'
I told people when we got him that Henrique is an underrated scorer. Has a great shot and is good at getting into the high slot for tips. On top of that he plays a responsible defensive game.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
The thing that worries me is the Kings have a bunch of just total sadistic losers who have no issues injuring our players to get ahead. With Moore and his antics and whomever tried to break Hymans wrist, if the refs don’t get a hold of this we need a response.

Insert gags whom probably wont get a sniff and he gets the go ahead to go full Bobby Clarke on one one of their best if they even attempt any more garbage like they do.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Called out the clipping on the mains:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Draisaitl with meagre two points looks like a whiny wimpy kid compared to the superman Hyman! Also Iglesias off to a great start. Brown on the other hand...

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Called out the clipping on the mains:
It’s the Kings. We need Hollywood in the playoffs, even if their GM trades half their depth for Dustin Penner

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Moore's feels worse than Archibald to me but it might just be because Stanley saw him cut in front of him and had a chance to try and avoid it a bit. Moore just submarined him from the side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad