Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Guys like Laraque who bleed Oil colours and is in Edmonton all the time I get.

Smid who works for Oil Kings and pretty much was an Edmontonian even while on LTIR with Calgary I get.

But a guy that kinda used the KHL as leverage against the team and wasn't even here a full season just seems odd.
The first two are also retired players. Not odd at all to see retired players in the building (though even they seldomly wear team gear), but a current NHLer repping team colors is certainly odd to see unless it's a situation like Brady Tkachuk that year in Calgary as it was cheering on a family member on a team in a completely different Conference.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
We’d just have to find a third team who isn’t going to spend to the cap

There's always the chance they just buy him out as he'd only cost 1/3 instead of 2/3 because of his age. That said I don't foresee them needing the space so I don't see why they'd do it unless it was just because they were pissed about something like this.

Reactions: McDoused

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pretty crazy that he has the record for the longest time between playoff goals. Not necessarily his fault, as he hasn't been on a lot of good teams. Only 29 playoff games (including last night) under his belt in a career spanning back to 2010.

Getting another chance to show his shit here.
This is his 3rd playoffs ever. First he went to the finals. Second he got swept.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
We’d just have to find a third team who isn’t going to spend to the cap
it also means we have to give them an extra draft pick for them to do retain on a 4th line forward.

Not sure its a good idea to spend draft capital to get one year of Kostin when you could just resign Carrick or someone in free agency for that one million dollars.

Reactions: McDoused and K1984

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
it also means we have to give them an extra draft pick for them to do retain on a 4th line forward.

Not sure its a good idea to spend draft capital to get one year of Kostin when you could just resign Carrick or someone in free agency for that one million dollars.
Only way I see him in a trade is if it involves Campbell going the other way and they are trying to even out some salaries.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Solid defence...the PP...and the Mcdavid line won this game.
Nice snipe by Henrique too, Hell of a one time by Drai.

Solid win.

Skinner was excellent and this is a pefect example of when sv% lies.
Skinners sv% was 0.892.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Solid defence...the PP...and the Mcdavid line won this game.
Nice snipe by Henrique too, Hell of a one time by Drai.

Solid win.

Skinner was excellent and this is a pefect example of when sv% lies.
Skinners sv% was 0.892.
His GSAA for the game was 0.18. So he was there, above average. If Nurse and Ceci didn't have those dumb goals near the end his stats would have looked much better.
Expected goals against was 3.5, he allowed 4, but bad luck and a few bad dplays made it 4 instead of 3. No complaints really.

Reactions: McDoused and guymez

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Dominant win but we really need to stop beating ourselves. It's something that I hoped we had moved on from last year.

Flex your sticks before each faceoff. This shouldn't even need to be said - you're a professional hockey player.

Stop turning your skates into the net. This isn't the first time Nurse has scored on himself and it certainly won't be the last.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Dominant win but we really need to stop beating ourselves. It's something that I hoped we had moved on from last year.

Flex your sticks before each faceoff. This shouldn't even need to be said - you're a professional hockey player.

Stop turning your skates into the net. This isn't the first time Nurse has scored on himself and it certainly won't be the last.
At this point you can't expect more from Nurse. This is who he is.

Reactions: McDoused

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
His GSAA for the game was 0.18. So he was there, above average. If Nurse and Ceci didn't have those dumb goals near the end his stats would have looked much better.
Expected goals against was 3.5, he allowed 4, but bad luck and a few bad dplays made it 4 instead of 3. No complaints really.
He makes 2 saves, the breakaway on Arvidsson and the sequence of saves in the 3rd, without those this game is very different.

He was excellent.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I hold the exact same take. There aren't any guarantees to a professional athletes career. Get money when/where you can, set yourself up in what is a profession that has a shorter timeline and expiry date. The idea of hometown discounts and whatnot are easy when you're already established.

Love that he's coming to these games. Shows how impactful this dressing room/culture is right now, not to mention the city/fans.

Yep. These guys really aren’t making that much on AHL/2 way deals. You’ve got to get your bag when you’ve got such a small window to make the bulk of your lifetime income

There's always the chance they just buy him out as he'd only cost 1/3 instead of 2/3 because of his age. That said I don't foresee them needing the space so I don't see why they'd do it unless it was just because they were pissed about something like this.

Ya with them moving Hertl who’s only 30, they’re clearly not planning on spending to the cap and trying to compete any time soon.

Or do both? Nobody should care about draft picks at this point. If you can improve the team, do it

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I'm hesitant to be too critical because we played a great game and it isn't worth the negativity, but if "puck deflecting off defender's skate and into the net" was a tracked statistic, Nurse would probably already be an all time leader. Currently it only happens occasionally, but his in his first couple years it was chronic.

I think the message from that are those are details that matter and players need to pay attention to. Didn't matter tonight, but both plays could have been catastrophic detail errors in a different type of game.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Skinner really was great.
Both of those goals against were the fault of Ceci and Nurse. All Nurse has to do is lift his skate.
He is such a dummy.
I dont know wtf Ceci was trying to do...lol
I don’t know what Ceci thought was going to happen when he threw the puck into the middle of our own zone. Could have thrown it anywhere else and it probably doesn’t end up in our net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad