Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win Game 1! Broken sticks and lucky deflections be damned!

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
PLD was atrocious tonight.

his goal tonight was pretty much the epitome of his entire season. Low effort.

That contract/trade seems like a big oopsie.
Makes Chevy look like a genius. They robbed LA. Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, and Rasmus Kupari, and a second-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft.Jul 4, 2023. Those players have helped Winnipeg. They then signed him to a 8 year 68 mil. That could be a GM killer

Kane announcing to the NHL he has a sport hernia.

giphy.gif
did she have a hip replacement? Thats the way I move now

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
This is what henrique affords the Oilers now. People sleeping on how good he is with the right situation. henrique so intelligent, strong on pucks, can make quick cycle passing plays. he not only completes that line he allows us to drop Nuge with Drai. So that we have two centers on each of our top two lines. its hard to deal with.
Great points. I love the ability to have 2 centers out there each time. Someone mentioned earlier that Henrique is a mini version of Nuge and I agree 100%. Henrique plays a smart efficient game. We were shittting all over Holland for this trade at first but it looks good now. Go figure, Holland knows more then us Armchair GM's

TheGingaNinja

Edmonton Ex-Pat who still loves his hometown team.
Sep 26, 2019
Imagine being gifted 3 utterly flukey, completely unearned, goals from the hockey gods and still end up being trounced, and giving up a touchdown.

They'll never admit it, but that has to be living rent free in their heads right now. They are a pretty shameless team, but having that much go your way and still getting thrashed this way can't be easy to handle, especially when they really didn't have a moment the whole game they can hang heir hat on.

We play the rest of the series this way, it should be a short one.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Imagine being gifted 3 utterly flukey, completely unearned, goals from the hockey gods and still end up being trounced, and giving up a touchdown.

They'll never admit it, but that has to be living rent free in their heads right now. They are a pretty shameless team, but having that much go your way and still getting thrashed this way can't be easy to handle, especially when they really didn't have a moment the whole game they can hang heir hat on.

We play the rest of the series this way, it should be a short one.
BIG key is going to be adjusting for the emotional rebound that the Kings could try to leverage next game. We saw that last night in the Boston / Leafs series; after dominating in Game 1, the Bruins were hibernating for most of Game 2. Can't afford to do that against LA.

15 wins to go.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
That's how you start your playoff journey!
I really do hope that's all the lucky bounces the hockey gods gave LA for this series, Stu looked quite annoyed by the end of it.. :laugh:
Nice one by Moore on Vinny, as much as I like violent hockey revenge, beating the Kings on the scoresheet first is what I want to see from them on wednesday.

Go Oil!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Great points. I love the ability to have 2 centers out there each time. Someone mentioned earlier that Henrique is a mini version of Nuge and I agree 100%. Henrique plays a smart efficient game. We were shittting all over Holland for this trade at first but it looks good now. Go figure, Holland knows more then us Armchair GM's
I always liked Henrique, and he was giving the Kings some trouble as early as 2012 when he was with Jersey. Never forget that SC final. Elias and Henrique were Jerseys best forwards. You probably mean it differently but Henrique isn't a mini Nuge, he's a stronger more physical player that protects pucks well and has got a bit more battle. Needs to be remembered sometimes that other players, till they come here, they don't get the benefit of playing with great players every day. They get that when they arrive here.

EV Henrique is a fundamentally excellent player that contributes well offensively. Remembering as well this is older Henrique, far from prime, and he still looks this good. Good for KK to manage his minutes a bit. SC playoffs are a marathon, not a sprint.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Makes Chevy look like a genius. They robbed LA. Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, and Rasmus Kupari, and a second-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft.Jul 4, 2023. Those players have helped Winnipeg. They then signed him to a 8 year 68 mil. That could be a GM killer

did she have a hip replacement? Thats the way I move now
Chevy getting half of that for a guy that was handpicking his spot would've been genius. Regardless of who well Dubois played.

At the hindsight and all of those assets and he looks like the smartest man ever

Im just happy our board is not like Leafs board. FIrst game, fire everyone, trade this player, trade this player. Second game, that player is the greatest, we are going to the cup
If we would've lost it would've been like that lol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thinking back to last night, and I meant to mention it then, the sequence where Arvidsson gets the breakaway with the Oilers up 2-0, Skinner forces him to miss (or he misses the net depending on how you want to see it), then the Oil go right back, Hyman gets his 2nd and they're up 3-0

That swing was massive and this team never looked back after that.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Thinking back to last night, and I meant to mention it then, the sequence where Arvidsson gets the breakaway with the Oilers up 2-0, Skinner forces him to miss (or he misses the net depending on how you want to see it), then the Oil go right back, Hyman gets his 2nd and they're up 3-0

Skinner actually got a piece of it. Though it grazed the top of his pad so ultimately Arvidsson really just missed his shot by half an inch.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One benefit under Knoblauch is he rolls his lines which Woody refused to do. Part of that is they have 4 competent lines and even some competent guys in the press box. The biggest difference being Knoblauch will do it when they're trailing where as Woody would just shorten his bench at the first sight of they team trailing. The better minute distribution and quality press box options like Stetcher, Brown, Ryan, and Broberg give this team a major advantage of not running out of gas.
Yep. KK is not a bench active coach in terms of pulling goalies, time outs, that sort of thing but in deployment and where to put guys and how to arrange minutes and best utilize players he's a lot more gold standard than Woody was.

I love pointing out how astute he's been. His decision to but Henrique top line was highly critiqued. There were hundred posts here "why would you break up the best line in the NHL, what an Iddyiot" ;)

It was a masterclass move because it makes the topline even harder to strip pucks from. Nuge is great on PP but Henrique is a slightly better EV player and less prone to get conservative. If theres a play there to go for blood he'll make it.

The move to insert the pace of Holloway and Janmark is masterclass. Its not something Woody would have done.

The paring of Kane and Perry at times, the usage of guys like McLeod with these guys to give them pace, these are best usages of players.

Of course when you rotate lines like this and distribute minutes everybody is involved, your shifts are more energetic, and the team more playing not only closer to 60minutes but could be better staying power as well going on as playoffs progress.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Chevy getting half of that for a guy that was handpicking his spot would've been genius. Regardless of who well Dubois played.

At the hindsight and all of those assets and he looks like the smartest man ever

If we would've lost it would've been like that lol
Chevy is a great GM

Agreed, when we lose, our fan base comes undone as well. You would think we are better hockey players then the players we are complaining about.
I just wanna win, is that too much to ask? I have about 100 different Oilers jerseys and Ill wear them every day if we win. My wife and daughter are Oiler fans, albeit they had no choice. There have been some rough days and we got laughed at but we stuck with them. With them so long, some of my jerseys dont fit anymore. Go Figure

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Skinner made the stop with his pad. It just skimmed off his pad wide. It was a massive swing. It was a huge sequence, for sure the defining one in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad