5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
This thread...

zl8Be3w.gif

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
If we all start flaming each other, will that get this thread shut down? Or should it just be shut down because it's SO off-topic?

McStanley

Dec 8, 2005
I've got nothing to add to the .500 discussion other than isn't .500 another representation of 50% ? If so then 82-0-0 is not 50% is it? I don't think any sports analyst would refer to a team that is 82-0-0 as being 82 over .500. They would say this is a perfect team.

Getting back to topic, I think Yakupov was the winger we were all dreaming of when Hemsky was younger and we were all trying to find the perfect linemates for him.

Those passes that they were making to each other were sublime...They didn't capitalize on many of them, but wow were they fun to watch.

Maybe we should keep them together indefinitely and then look to re-sign Hemmer for next year!

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
NAF:

Listen man, you are being so obstinate and stubborn it is driving me wild.

Your math is fine. The definition you are using to guide your math HAS NEVER BEEN USED IN HOCKEY EVER.

.500 came about to describe how many more wins than losses (or vice versa) you have accrued. For this reason, ties are completely ignored. The only math you need to know is x wins minus y losses equals games above or below .500. Seriously. You derailed this entire PGT on a night where the Oil actually WON.

Get a grip buddy.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
NAF:

Listen man, you are being so obstinate and stubborn it is driving me wild.

Your math is fine. The definition you are using to guide your math HAS NEVER BEEN USED IN HOCKEY EVER.

.500 came about to describe how many more wins than losses (or vice versa) you have accrued. For this reason, ties are completely ignored. The only math you need to know is x wins minus y losses equals games above or below .500. Seriously. You derailed this entire PGT on a night where the Oil actually WON.

Get a grip buddy.

Yeah, I was the only one who had a problem with the guy's math. But whatever. I accept that the majority of hockey folks seem to agree that (38 x .500) + 19 ≠ 38. Because hockey math is different.

hF033C1B9

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I'm still not convinced Gagner is any kind of long-term answer to 2C on this team. I know he had the PPA to Smyth and almost scored, but he just mostly doesn't seem to be an impact player at either end to me.

I imagine Yak and Hemsky playing with Grabovski...

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
I'm still not convinced Gagner is any kind of long-term answer to 2C on this team. I know he had the PPA to Smyth and almost scored, but he just mostly doesn't seem to be an impact player at either end to me.

I imagine Yak and Hemsky playing with Grabovski...

I'm glad they didn't get Grabovski, not because I don't think he would've been a good fit, but because I've just been so damned impressed with Arcobello.

Gagner is still a hell of a hockey player though. His main issue is his draws, the rest is just rust and having your mouth wired shut.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
I think since the Oilers are playing

ducks
avs
kings
nucks

Wild Card Race
------------------
Western Conference:

Central G|W|L|OT|PTS|GRvs.Oil|OilPos.Pts.|Pos.Stol.FrmOpp.|OppOTL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago 22 14 4 4 32 2 | 4|4|2|
St. Louis 20 14 3 3 31 3 | 6|6|3
Colorado 20 15 5 0 30 3 | 6|6|3

Pacific GP W L OT PTS
Anaheim 23 15 6 2 32 4| 8|8|4
San Jose 21 13 3 5 31 3| 6|6|3
Phoenix 21 14 4 3 31 4| 8|8|4

Wild Card GP W L OT PTS
----------------------------------------------
LA 22 15 6 1 31 3| 6|6| 3
Minnesota 22 13 5 4 30 3| 6|6|3
Vancouver 23 11 8 4 26 4| 8|8|4
Dallas 20 11 7 2 24 2| 4|4|2
Winnipeg 23 10 10 3 23 2| 4|4|2
Nashville 21 10 9 2 22 3| 6|6|3
Calgary 21 7 11 3 17 4| 8|8|4
Edmonton 23 6 15 2 14

So heres the chart of what the Oil have to play the rest of the way
We can still manage to make the playoffs if we can steal some points and prevent the other teams from stealing OTL points against us, and by managing to steal some L into OTL along the way as well.

In the Wildcard race, we play Ana, Pho, Van, and Cgy, 4 times each, and Nsh, Min, LA, sj, stl, col 3 times each, which means that if we have a possibility of playing well against those specific teams, which we do, then it won't be as difficult a challenge as the .750 pt% would make it seem, because of the other factors involved. so its not as uphill a battle as the numbers suggest in this case.

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
Can anyone explain the wildcard? Since the whole realignment, I didn't look into how playoffs are done now. Is it still top in each division are automatically in, then the rest are in only if they are in the top 8 of the conference?

No cross conference transfer to compensate for more teams in the East than West? What does wildcard have to do with anythnig?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Funniest thing about this thread and the math involved in .500 is the thought that this discussion has been unique at all. The exact same discussion has occured several times before on this board, by different participants bringing up the same areas of disagreement and indeed on many of the boards on hf. This conversation has crept up ever since the NHL introduced 3 pt games.

This conversation has nothing to do with this thread.

How about them Oilers eh? Score almost as many goals in one game as they have all season at home.

Can we just invite CBJ to the prom every second date? I love this dance partner. I'm sure the feeling isn't mutual:p:

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
Funniest thing about this thread and the math involved in .500 is the thought that this discussion has been unique at all. The exact same discussion has occured several times before on this board, by different participants bringing up the same areas of disagreement and indeed on many of the boards on hf. This conversation has crept up ever since the NHL introduced 3 pt games.

This conversation has nothing to do with this thread.

How about them Oilers eh? Score almost as many goals in one game as they have all season at home.

Can we just invite CBJ to the prom every second date? I love this dance partner. I'm sure the feeling isn't mutual:p:

Maybe we've just been here for too long but I have seen every post in this thread word for word numerous times.

Hilarious. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe we've just been here for too long but I have seen every post in this thread word for word numerous times.

Hilarious. :laugh:

Yep, even the way it evolved, one side taking hold, then the other, accusations of abuse to math all over the place, and un knowningly participating in a debate where there is no resolution.
Although thats a large part of what occurs here naturally. :D

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Can anyone explain the wildcard? Since the whole realignment, I didn't look into how playoffs are done now. Is it still top in each division are automatically in, then the rest are in only if they are in the top 8 of the conference?

No cross conference transfer to compensate for more teams in the East than West? What does wildcard have to do with anythnig?

the wildcard makes little sense.

It really should be cross-conference to make up for the inequality in the conferences.

It's only between divisions. So, the top three teams from each division make the playoffs, and then the final two spots go to the teams with the most post points, regardless of division but still within the conference only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad