Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 7-5

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think Drai keeps up forever. And as the Flames are showing us tonight, the Rangers are awful defensively. Think the Bruins do that next game?

The rangers are not awful defensively. Their game is predicated on being able to outwork opposition all over the ice. They have some of the most consistently hard working players in the league that just bring it on every shift.

The great thing last night is the oilers match the grit enough to allow their talent to influence the outcome. If you don't match the Rangers work ethic, which is hard to do, you're in for a long night most nights. They can grind down teams pretty well. Didn't do it to us. Kudos oilers.

Flames get them on back to back so its easier. One more word. EC teams like NY are not used to travel like this. Sometimes I think that too impacts their play. lol people have even postulated circadian rhythm is off. Its really hard for East coast clubs to come a few time zones west and win here. Just doesn't seem to happen a lot.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm enjoying the hell out of the players like Drai, Hall, Nurse, Klef, who are giving Oilers fans a lot of hope we haven't seen in years.

When McDavid comes back its going to be special because Hall and Drai were actually able to carry this team for along while and keep them at least close.

So what are your final thoughts on the Penner trade now that year have passed?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You didn't notice that McDavid used word 'special' in almost every interview?

No, oddly I haven't watched a lot of his interviews. I tend to watch interviews when I need some help answering questions regarding players. I like to see how they present and what they're saying.

I have no questions of McDavid and thus tend not to watch his interviews. He's a player that has my complete trust.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So what are your final thoughts on the Penner trade now that year have passed?

klefbom did pan out. Turned out to be a good value trade although with benefit deferred several years. I didn't like the trade at all at the time because we were giving up a good current player for years down the road and that club was horrible to watch as it was at the time.

Its hard to defer benefits when you're starving. Kind of what I feel like as a fan the past number of years. Always frustrating getting futures. I wanted live bodies that could play.

What I think few of us figured out is that the timeframe for the rebuild would be offset the way it has been with the McDavid win. This basically means that Klefbom, Nurse now fit the timeframe of this clubs expected zenith. Without McDavid, and that reset, our D are too young and too inexperienced to be there at our prime.

Everythings changed with McDavid. What I didn't expect is that everything would change with Draisaitl.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Giving up 11 goals to the two Alberta teams is not a good sign. Expect the Bruins to take the body hard against Hall and Drai.

Well good luck with that. The Oilers have just finished playing some of the biggest forwards in the NHl with Dallas and SJ. Both Drai and Hall are holding up damn well to incoming. Its gotten to the point that Drai is just staring down players from the bench and they don't want anything to do with him. Drai is getting Mark Messier type space out there right now. Probably because he's making most players look silly by either dominating them or flying by them.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Dear Teddy Purcell, sorry for calling you bad names, we can be friends again.

Hall is a straight up franchise player, Him and Drai are on another level and are so exciting to watch.

That game was one of the most exciting games since the lockout year when Yak did his slide thingie.

I really am so happy we are still playing meaningful games, as a fan who's watched a lot of bad Oiler hockey the last 5 years I feel like we are starting to turn the page to a new and brighter future.

The best thing is still to come when Connor comes back.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well good luck with that. The Oilers have just finished playing some of the biggest forwards in the NHl with Dallas and SJ. Both Drai and Hall are holding up damn well to incoming. Its gotten to the point that Drai is just staring down players from the bench and they don't want anything to do with him. Drai is getting Mark Messier type space out there right now. Probably because he's making most players look silly by either dominating them or flying by them.

Boston is a very airtight team that won't give you the open space. Plus I hear that Rask guy is pretty good.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Boston is a very airtight team that won't give you the open space. Plus I hear that Rask guy is pretty good.

Don't get me wrong, Bostons best play is to try to be very physical with us and finish checks all over the ice. Rangers actually play a pretty similar game and tried. The Oilers just weren't laying down like expected.

lol at Nurse just beaking the Rangers bench repeatedly. The whole message from the Oil last night is were here, we're not backing down for nothing, hit us as much as you want.

That had to be a demoralizing loss for the rangers. Especially the way it ended. Oddly enough the Oilers beat the Rangers same way Tampa did and by speed, fast breaks and scoring in bunches. Rangers appear to have some trouble with teams with this kind of speed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Or, you know, the Rangers aren't that good. Lots of fancy stats showing how bad they really are.

haha.

not going to write another essay on my feelings about that. Rangers are good enough to get by most teams. They would have more trouble in the WC. A team that goes deep in the playoffs every year is probably a good team. :D

I'd give that more weight than Corsi wins..

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Don't get me wrong, Bostons best play is to try to be very physical with us and finish checks all over the ice. Rangers actually play a pretty similar game and tried. The Oilers just weren't laying down like expected.

lol at Nurse just beaking the Rangers bench repeatedly. The whole message from the Oil last night is were here, we're not backing down for nothing, hit us as much as you want.

That had to be a demoralizing loss for the rangers. Especially the way it ended. Oddly enough the Oilers beat the Rangers same way Tampa did and by speed, fast breaks and scoring in bunches. Rangers appear to have some trouble with teams with this kind of speed.

It's a typical Vigneault coached team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
haha.

not going to write another essay on my feelings about that. Rangers are good enough to get by most teams. They would have more trouble in the WC. A team that goes deep in the playoffs every year is probably a good team. :D

I'd give that more weight than Corsi wins..

This is a conference that the Oilers beat for fun...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's a typical Vigneault coached team.

Yeah, if the pushback is enough you beat them. That said Vigneault gets the most out of his teams and all anybody can really ask. Nobody goes up to Rangers players after games assessing what they have left in the tank. They play games like a collection of buzzsaws. It overwhelms teams that are not ready to go. Rangers skate so hard it often looks like they have too many men.

Looks like more and more clubs are figuring them out though. Rangers will still be near top in EC.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

You must be thinking of the Bruins of 2-4 seasons ago. This isn't your older brothers' Bruins team. They are more of a speed team that opens it up than a big heavy team that shuts teams down with physicality. I'm more worried about the Oilers containing their forwards than I am about them containing the Oilers forwards namely Hall and Drai.

It's like this misconception from some folks here in the Rangers pre-game that they are some kind of defensive juggernaut that's going to shut down the Oilers when in reality, they have been Hank or nothing most of the season.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I know it's a small sample size but after watching the Rangers these past two nights, I can't believe they are 18-9-4.

Must be nice being in the East.

Aug 10, 2015
I know it's a small sample size but after watching the Rangers these past two nights, I can't believe they are 18-9-4.

Must be nice being in the East.

They are 8-4-1 versus the West.
They are 10-5-3 versus the East.

Looks to me like they are playing equally well against both sides of the NHL, perhaps Alberta is not a place people can have an easy couple of games in anymore (not quite a that point yet, but it appears we are working on it).

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Take a look at the PGTs on the Rangers board from the past two nights. It's a madhouse over there. They're more doom and gloom than us after that Leafs game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad