Oilers win 6-3 (You Didn't Look Like You Were Playing For Something Mr. Couture)

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Has there been a thread on the terrible officiating on here ( or do they get shut down for whatever reason)? It seems to be a huge huge issue esp in light of what happened last night on the two calls against Kassian.
The referees were bizarre last night. They seemed like they actively trying to make the Oilers lose and/or feel bad in the 1st. Even so that Debrusk had a mini rant about it during the intermission. Then the rest of the game they were fair. Must've got a call from somebody.

The Kassian game misconduct was bull. Ive heard players say some pretty vulgar things to the refs without a single penalty.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Clendening has one good game and people want him signed for next season. What about all the other games prior that he looked awful?...

Clendening is a little bit more interesting than that though. He's a guy that Chiarelli has been tracking since before he was GM here.

We will want to add some low level guys for camp competition and injury call up, and it would be good if they had NHL experience. Clendening is a RHD with a great shot. Guys who already know our coach, players and system would get some advantage I would think.

Avenger*

Clendening is a little bit more interesting than that though. He's a guy that Chiarelli has been tracking since before he was GM here.

We will want to add some low level guys for camp competition and injury call up, and it would be good if they had NHL experience. Clendening is a RHD with a great shot. Guys who already know our coach, players and system would get some advantage I would think.

I just think it's extremely fickle that he's compared to Justin Schultz last week and then has one good game and should be signed. There's a reason he hit waivers so many times this year. I would put him in the "last resort" category personally. We need to have higher standards to begin with.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Personally I wouldn't re-sign Clendening. He's been a good soldier, and done whatever he was asked. Didn't complain, and put his work pants on, but he's just not good enough, even to be depth. I would hope we can acquire more useful depth this summer.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
TIL that Haley absolutely obliterated Nurse. :amazed:

Some people so badly want to believe that they got their pound of flesh, that they stretch the truth to make themselves feel good. It was a pretty lame fight. Haley got one shot in, and held on for dear life until the refs saw that Nurse was about to unload.
Dressing a goon who landed one good punch (that did nothing to Nurse) was worth wasting a roster spot on said goon and passing up a chance to clinch a playoff spot. Good coaching by Pete DeBoer, I can't imagine why he got fired by two NHL teams in less than four years.

If there's any team that can blow this opportunity it's those chokers down in San Jose.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Dressing a goon who landed one good punch (that did nothing to Nurse) was worth wasting a roster spot on said goon and passing up a chance to clinch a playoff spot. Good coaching by Pete DeBoer, I can't imagine why he got fired by two NHL teams in less than four years.

If there's any team that can blow this opportunity it's those chokers down in San Jose.

Haley played 8.4% of the game. How much did you play bud guy?

:sarcasm:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I'd be ok with the Oilers re-signing Clendening to a 2-way deal (with the intention of using him in Bako and as an injury call-up), if only because he's one of the only RHD in the system - I think Bear is the only other one, and I'm guessing the Oilers keep him in junior for another year.

He's a horrible skater, but he does have some offensive ability - I'm completely ok with him replacing Brad Hunt as the main offensive D-man.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
TIL that Haley absolutely obliterated Nurse. :amazed:

Some people so badly want to believe that they got their pound of flesh, that they stretch the truth to make themselves feel good. It was a pretty lame fight. Haley got one shot in, and held on for dear life until the refs saw that Nurse was about to unload.

I've never seen people so highly overrate the result of a fight. He got a quick one-two in and then Nurse even landed a few of his own and it was a grappling match after. They also tried to pretend people were saying Nurse was "the toughest guy in the NHL" when all people were saying is he would likely hold his own with anyone on the Sharks, like he did against Lucic. It's ridiculous. It was truly hilarious that he ws a +4 after all of them saying he's only a goon and a future career AHLer, "just look at his points". They even tried pretending Haley isn't a career goon. Hahahaha

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like how one of the already changed their username to "HaleyDestroyedNurse."

I guess if it means that much to you......

Yeah Nurse will never be the same! :laugh: Too bad Gazdic didn't do what he's paid for and show Haley what a real beat down looks like.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Yeah Nurse will never be the same! :laugh: Too bad Gazdic didn't do what he's paid for and show Haley what a real beat down looks like.

Yeah, I don't know what happened to Gazdic, but he seem's like he wants to be an actual hockey player, when his job is to fight unfortunately, cause he's not a very good hockey play.

Although I will say this, Gazdic is an awesome person from running into him in person, really likeable guy. Only if he had more use.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I like how one of the already changed their username to "HaleyDestroyedNurse."

I guess if it means that much to you......

I saw that poster in a totally different thread and started laughing so hard I had a coughing fit. :laugh: He landed one half decent shot and Nurse was turning the tide when the refs jumped in.

Whatever takes the pain away from being dominated by a bottom 5 team I guess.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

DeBoer is a terrible coach. Sharks fans deluded themselves into thinking he's worth a damn. Can't wait to see their inevitable early playoff exit. It'll be fun cheering against them.

I've never seen people so highly overrate the result of a fight. He got a quick one-two in and then Nurse even landed a few of his own and it was a grappling match after. They also tried to pretend people were saying Nurse was "the toughest guy in the NHL" when all people were saying is he would likely hold his own with anyone on the Sharks, like he did against Lucic. It's ridiculous. It was truly hilarious that he ws a +4 after all of them saying he's only a goon and a future career AHLer, "just look at his points". They even tried pretending Haley isn't a career goon. Hahahaha

Yeah, it's a total joke. No one deemed him the best fighter in the NHL, just that he could take the Sharks players. Which is why they brought up a scrub goon from the AHL. But whatever they need to fuel the righteous indignation. :laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
After a day to think about it here are my thoughts:

From Maroon and Haley's post game comments it seems like Nurse wanted to handle it himself. I get the impression that Nurse was adamant to his teammates that he wanted to take care of his own business.

Big props for stepping up. I'm sure Kassian or Gazdic would have fought Haley if he asked them to. No one would blame him, this was between Nurse and Polak. But Nurse answered the bell and was willing to be held accountable for his beat down on Polak.

It was really a lose-lose for the Sharks. If Nurse had won, his rep grows. He loses but handles it well and he earns the respect of his opponents and teammates. Win-win for Nurse. Even Haley and the Sharks coach gave Nurse credit for stepping up.

I have no problem having Gazdic as a negotiator and peace keeper we call up a few times a year to keep things under control. Gazdic is a bright guy and good influence on McDavid.

Nurse didn't want someone else fighting his battles. Unlike Polak that little *****. He'll be public enemy #1 in Edmonton. I hope we give him hell when he comes to Rogers Place and hates playing us.

I can't wait until Nurse hits 26/27 and grows into his body. Oh yeah, he also got an assist and was +4. Arguably his best game in an Oiler uniform.

No one from the Oilers said he was the toughest player in the league or even in the heavy weight class. That was a straw man created by the Sharks.

Polak is a big boy who can more than handle himself. It's not like Nurse went after Pavelski or Couture. No one is advocating running the stars. I really think if a team took a shot at McDavid the Oilers would go ****ing ballistic. Multiple suspensions would take place.

If anything, Nurse, Gazdic, Maroon, Kassian provide more utility as a deterrent factor opening up the ice for McDavid. Teams would be stupid to take a shot at McDavid. And likewise, the Oilers aren't going to target other teams stars. It's a mutual deterrent factor.

In the big picture, this made Nurse better and helped him grow.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The referees were bizarre last night. They seemed like they actively trying to make the Oilers lose and/or feel bad in the 1st. Even so that Debrusk had a mini rant about it during the intermission. Then the rest of the game they were fair. Must've got a call from somebody.

The Kassian game misconduct was bull. Ive heard players say some pretty vulgar things to the refs without a single penalty.

Even Remenda went off when Hertl layed down to attempt to block a shot that Eberle never took and took out both his legs, which was a blatant missed trip. Then again Remenda was pretty pro-Oil for most of the night. Didn't seem to like the Sharks calling up a guy to fight Nurse. He's been a little better of late tbh, I just couldn't stand him gushing about other teams for most of the season, and some of the ridiculous things he'd say, but when he's not doing that he's not half bad.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Even Remenda went off when Hertl layed down to attempt to block a shot that Eberle never took and took out both his legs, which was a blatant missed trip. Then again Remenda was pretty pro-Oil for most of the night. Didn't seem to like the Sharks calling up a guy to fight Nurse. He's been a little better of late tbh, I just couldn't stand him gushing about other teams for most of the season, and some of the ridiculous things he'd say, but when he's not doing that he's not half bad.

I like when announcers talk about other teams. The Sharks announcers gushed about EDM all night especially McDavid and it was awesome. But they were smart and said that Chiarelli should break up the old core, keep McDavid, Drais etc and bring in some good defensemen. They knew their stuff which was refreshing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I like when announcers talk about other teams. The Sharks announcers gushed about EDM all night especially McDavid and it was awesome. But they were smart and said that Chiarelli should break up the old core, keep McDavid, Drais etc and bring in some good defensemen. They knew their stuff which was refreshing.

When its called for then yeah for sure I'm all for it, but some of the things Remenda was saying earlier in the year were just out to lunch with reality.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

I don't think it's any coincidence Remenda has been praising the Oilers a bit more now that we've put a good string of games together. You don't want a commentator who polishes the turd and you don't want a commentator who only has bad things to say about your team.

When we were struggling, Remenda had no problem pointing that out and being harsh. Now that we're (sort of) winning, he is beginning to praise the players who have improved over the year.

Remenda is one of the better commentators.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think it's any coincidence Remenda has been praising the Oilers a bit more now that we've put a good string of games together. You don't want a commentator who polishes the turd and you don't want a commentator who only has bad things to say about your team.

When we were struggling, Remenda had no problem pointing that out and being harsh. Now that we're (sort of) winning, he is beginning to praise the players who have improved over the year.

Again I agree, but some of his comments earlier in the year made you question if he was even watching the game.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

Meh..He was let go by the Sharks so of course he's going to crap on them. He has an 'axe to grind'.

Crapping on the Oilers team all year, even when they had a few good stretches, sealed it for me.

If he changes his 'tune' for next year, I may change my mind but too late this year.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
After a day to think about it here are my thoughts:

From Maroon and Haley's post game comments it seems like Nurse wanted to handle it himself. I get the impression that Nurse was adamant to his teammates that he wanted to take care of his own business.

Big props for stepping up. I'm sure Kassian or Gazdic would have fought Haley if he asked them to. No one would blame him, this was between Nurse and Polak. But Nurse answered the bell and was willing to be held accountable for his beat down on Polak.

It was really a lose-lose for the Sharks. If Nurse had won, his rep grows. He loses but handles it well and he earns the respect of his opponents and teammates. Win-win for Nurse. Even Haley and the Sharks coach gave Nurse credit for stepping up.

I have no problem having Gazdic as a negotiator and peace keeper we call up a few times a year to keep things under control. Gazdic is a bright guy and good influence on McDavid.

Nurse didn't want someone else fighting his battles. Unlike Polak that little *****. He'll be public enemy #1 in Edmonton. I hope we give him hell when he comes to Rogers Place and hates playing us.

I can't wait until Nurse hits 26/27 and grows into his body. Oh yeah, he also got an assist and was +4. Arguably his best game in an Oiler uniform.

No one from the Oilers said he was the toughest player in the league or even in the heavy weight class. That was a straw man created by the Sharks.

Polak is a big boy who can more than handle himself. It's not like Nurse went after Pavelski or Couture. No one is advocating running the stars. I really think if a team took a shot at McDavid the Oilers would go ****ing ballistic. Multiple suspensions would take place.

If anything, Nurse, Gazdic, Maroon, Kassian provide more utility as a deterrent factor opening up the ice for McDavid. Teams would be stupid to take a shot at McDavid. And likewise, the Oilers aren't going to target other teams stars. It's a mutual deterrent factor.

In the big picture, this made Nurse better and helped him grow.

Which is doubly awesome since gameday I read a few people wishing Nurse to have a bad game, and someone specifically wanting Nurse to have a horrible game and be -4. So good, so good.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I just want a gif/photoshop of rockets attached to Maroon's skates on the play where he blew Polak's doors off where McDavid fed him for the goal.

Oct 15, 2008
Meh..He was let go by the Sharks so of course he's going to crap on them. He has an 'axe to grind'.

Crapping on the Oilers team all year, even when they had a few good stretches, sealed it for me.

If he changes his 'tune' for next year, I may change my mind but too late this year.

If you want a cheerleader perhaps you could listen to the radio broadcast?

You would never know the team was dead last in their tenth consecutive year of missing the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad