Oilers win 6-3 (You Didn't Look Like You Were Playing For Something Mr. Couture)

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
If you want a cheerleader perhaps you could listen to the radio broadcast?

You would never know the team was dead last in their tenth consecutive year of missing the playoffs.

There's a balance between being a 'cheerleader' and continuously crapping on your 'own' team, even when they're playing good.

I'd rather listen to the other teams play-by-play. At least most try and see a balance and actually know what they're talking about.

Remenda is wrong more times than he's right.

It's fine if you're a fan of his though...

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Again I agree, but some of his comments earlier in the year made you question if he was even watching the game.

Remenda was also bizarre last night. I don't think I heard a "Wow!" or him go off on a tangent about the way a player ties their skates.
Normally it seems like he wants to just make Oiler fans feel bad, so it was a welcome change.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
WOW. Maroon actually said on TV that "This team (Sharks) folds". That's harsher than what Couture said, but nice to see the team do something with that knowledge. I'm so sick of them commenting about the other team being on a back to back and wanting to take advantage only to continuously be outplayed in the third period by said team on a back to back.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure why people are harping on Remenda for not polishing up the Oilers all year. They're right at the basement, there should not be a lot of good comments about them. They've been terrible most of the year and their record reflects that. You may not like the guy, but I don't want him gushing about them like some of the other goofs out there. Last night they were great in the 2nd and 3rd and I heard him giving them lots of deserved praise. Ray Ferraro used to do the same thing. Different style obviously, but he was dammed harsh on them. If there's anything I can't stand it's the sickening cheerleading stuff.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
Not sure why people are harping on Remenda for not polishing up the Oilers all year. They're right at the basement, there should not be a lot of good comments about them. They've been terrible most of the year and their record reflects that. You may not like the guy, but I don't want him gushing about them like some of the other goofs out there. Last night they were great in the 2nd and 3rd and I heard him giving them lots of deserved praise. Ray Ferraro used to do the same thing. Different style obviously, but he was dammed harsh on them. If there's anything I can't stand it's the sickening cheerleading stuff.

The truth is that in any other serious hockey market the figurative pitchforks and torches would have been out long ago-10 years of bottom feeding is not acceptable-many assume the cheerleader role and externalize their disappointment with attacking external issues-like Remanda-the refs-Couture etc.... Maybe this is a healthy response to so much disappointment and wanting to retain sanity and cheering for this team. It also blinds us to flaws in the core and makes some want to continually go after assistant coaches-3rd and 4rth liners etc. Hopefully they fix this rot but focusing on the peripheral issues and ignoring reality isn't going to get that done. We are helpless top change anything but we should be honest. The honest people on this site make it better then some other sites. Hopefully Chia's eyes are wide open. We deserve way better.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

My only issue with him is not that he is critical of the Oilers but he seems very obtuse when it comes to commenting on penalties, last game was the first time all season where you wouldnt have thought that her was the CC for the other club. Its like he tries extra hard to not show any bias and maintain a professional approach, that he actually sways too far the other way. Like in the Phoenix game when Smith sprawled across the crease and "hurt" himself, Remenda immediately was yelling about how the Oilers ran him over, even though no Oiler player came within 5 feet of Smith. I dont want him to be Kelly Hrudey where the Flames are losing 5-1 and all he can do is fawn over how well every Flame player is playing and call it bad luck that they are losing.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
WOW. Maroon actually said on TV that "This team (Sharks) folds". That's harsher than what Couture said, but nice to see the team do something with that knowledge. I'm so sick of them commenting about the other team being on a back to back and wanting to take advantage only to continuously be outplayed in the third period by said team on a back to back.

He said they fold when they get pressured down low.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yep. Maroon stated that the Sharks fold when an opponent is able to take the game downlow to them and pressure them in critical areas. Ducks and Kings both realize this, and both do it. Sharks have very little answer for it. Sharks game is try to dictate terms offensively to opponent and establish insurmountable lead. They like to be front runners in games just like the other night. But when they can't build enough off of that or when opponent bounces back they have little answer.

Short version is sharks are great in offensive zone and bad in own zone. people have always attributed this to goaltending but it isn't just that. Sharks don't bend, they break, in own zone play. Still do apparently.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Do we not have enough apologists on our local radio? I also don't get why people get mad at him for rightfully criticizing a bad hockey team.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Do we not have enough apologists on our local radio? I also don't get why people get mad at him for rightfully criticizing a bad hockey team.

It's because people tend to think in black or white. If he is criticizing the Oilers, he must be cheering for the other team.

You can see it in every thread on this forum, especially the more contentious ones where Hall/Yak fanboy/hater gets thrown around a lot as people divide everything into "us vs them".

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
I'm not sure this board blows anything out of proportion more than Remenda's supposed negativity towards the Oilers. And that's saying something.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not sure this board blows anything out of proportion more than Remenda's supposed negativity towards the Oilers. And that's saying something.

The board is jerking in the opposite direction now.

Remenda sucks to listen to. His catchphrase is annoying, his analysis is rarely insightful and the fact that he harps on the team constantly is just the cherry on top.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

If he is doing the CC for tonights game I will point out every time when he is overly negative or biased against the Oilers for you.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

I don't care if he is negative about the Oilers. I care when all he can talk about is how amazing the other team is. It's annoying

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Not what bothers me about him. Half the time he's just out to lunch. He'll go on some agenda just like any of us on hf. Except hes a paid, supposed, expert commentator.

He's not particularly astute and goes on and on in Ray Ferrraro mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad