Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 3-1

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
After last nights game the sky was falling...perhaps that was a tad premature.

Who would have guessed that adding a couple of experienced dmen in Nikitin and Fayne and the addition of Hall would settle the team down.

Nikitin is much smoother than I expected...Fayne is Mr steady.

Fasth was very good as well.

Rookies...I thought Nurse looked good. Tkachev is like a pinball out there.

Yakimov was very quiet.

Still some things to work on but there are some encouraging signs.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Fasth was excellent.

The Oilers were a much better team with Nikitin-Fayne on the ice than they were the other pairings, to be expected. I liked Nurse's game as well for the most part, but he makes mistakes at a rate I want to see knocked down before he's an NHL player.

Not worried about the powerplay so much at this point. No Schultz, no Eberle. This same basic group has been top-3 on the NHL in the PP in the past, I'm going to give Craig Ramsay a few regular season games before I start getting annoyed. I loved their forecheck, particularly in the first period.

It was an okay game. Sloppy at points, but I didn't HATE anyone really.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the story of the game for me is Nikitin. He was a huge risk of a signing for that cap hit. If he can play like that I think he might actually earn his money, which would be huge for our D as a whole.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Kevin Westgarth couldnt make my div 5 mens team. He is the worst player I have ever scene. O.K. maybe not the worst but he is brutal

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
-Nikitin and Fayne looked solid.
-Nurse is raw, but man, tons of talent
-Nuge and Hall, awesome. can hardly wait to see what they do this year
- Fasth looked really solid
- Yakimov was pretty invisible, I think he might be coming back to earth. I think he will start in the AHL for sure.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I must be the only one who thought that Nikitin was subpar, lots of turnovers and was nervous handling the puck.
Fayne looked very good though. Exactly the type of steady presence that the Oilers need back there.
If Nurse works on his positional play, he's gonna be a beast. Loads of potential with that young man.

noeticfuzz

Nov 27, 2011
RNH... guy has found it... look for him to be a sly and subtle dirty cuss to play against this year... has edge.. now has confidence and size to use it

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
My thoughts..

Hall - Beastly.. best player on the ice
RNH - Also beastly, that pass was unreal
Pitlick - Didn't do a whole lot for me..
Pouliot - Really liked his game.. I think he and Yakimov would work well together.
Yakimov - Love what I'm seeing from him. His puck protection is so solid.
Tkachev - Yet another solid game.. made some great plays. Sign him already!
Westgarth - Just brutal
Moroz - Could have been his last game.. has been totally ineffective this pre-season
Ewanyk - Didn't mind his game tonight.. kept it simple and handled the puck alright
Pinnizotto - Strong game for him, definitely has an edge on Westgarth
Miller - Snip snip.. not doing anything
Acton - Ditto Miller

Fayne/Nikitin - So steady out there, great games from them
Nurse - Yet again he's going to make a case.. looks NHL ready to me, but there's no room
Hunt - He was so so.. still outplaying Aulie
Aulie - Brutal again.. just a bonehead out there. That play on the PK when he put the puck back into our own end instead of dumping it down was hilarious.
Musil - Stone hands and cement skates.. I like the character but he has a lot to work on

Fasth - Great game

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I wonder what time Tkachev's mom rolls by the rink to pick up her kid after the game?

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Did Westgarth think he was brought in to score goals? Gtfo. Good on Pinnizotto to stand in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad