Oilers will win the cup next season (Article from Oilers fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Came across this article today. What do other Oilers fans think? And neutral ones?

Can Connor McDavid do the same when he is 21? That would mean the Edmonton Oilers winning the Cup at the end of the 2017-18 season, about 18 months from now.

Of course, there’s no sure science when it comes to predicting such things, just people making bets, guesses and predictions. My own prediction is that McDavid and his teammates will do it and win the Stanley Cup not this spring but next spring.

Why make such a prediction? Well, of course, I’m an Oilers fan, so there’s that.
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...ton-oilers-will-win-the-stanley-cup-next-year

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
No number 1 D man, average goaltender and their bottom 6th depth is filled with way too many young players that will be experiencing the playoffs for the first time this year or next. Though that can be fixed at the deadline.

Their secondary scoring also sucks. Please shut this thread down for the love of god.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
mjl.gif

illpucks

May 26, 2011
No number 1 D man, average goaltender and their bottom 6th depth is filled with way too many young players that will be experiencing the playoffs for the first time this year or next. Though that can be fixed at the deadline.

Their secondary scoring also sucks. Please shut this thread down for the love of god.

Didn't Gretzky's Oilers get a first taste, and the following year win it all?

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Lets just try to make the playoffs this year. One step at a time.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This thread is going to go well.

David Staples shouldn't be taken seriously.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Honestly, never say never. The Oilers gave holes on the team, but at this point they are a top 6 team talent wise in the west. McDavid is mcdavid nothing to be said, but they have a strong supporting core behind him now. Eberle I laying some great hocker, rnh while I think overated, has been getting better as the season has gone. Leon Draisaitl is currently the best player from 14 draft class. And most importantly they have 3 are giving at worst the number 3 dmen level play. Larsson, sekera, and klefbom are 2/3 . Having Russell and there rookie benning as depth is great for them. I wouldn't bet money on the Oilers winning the cup, but I wouldn't bet against it either. If the Oilers can find a offensive minded rhd somehow than there team will be complete for years to come with just the need to retool every once in a while.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Please close this thread, and send angry emails to the editor of the journal!
Edit: Oilers are a beautiful hard working team right now. But here are at least 15 teams just as good. Parity makes it hard to guess a winner

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Oh boy what a change it is from the early 2010s, when everyone and their mother was giving a cup to the Oilers in no later than 2014 or 2015.

I think McDavid is good enough to bring at least a cup to Edmonton, but they're not there yet.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
Staples is a blatant Oilers homer, that's no secret. He writes some pretty click-baity stuff sometimes but he loves his team and as an Oilers fan I applaud him for having the courage to put this out there haha. I do think this team will start to make some noise but I can't quite bring myself to that level of optimism yet. The window to win with McDavid starts now - that part is true, but this is a tough league to win in. I can't even bring myself to call them a playoff team until I see the * beside their name in the standings. I've been hurt too many times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad