Oilers will play in outdoor game in Winnipeg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hoping we'll see some guys from the 90s/early 00s on the team too. I wanna see Smytty-Weight-Guerin re-united. And get Cujo or Roli out there.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
It would be cool to see the current squad play a game in these jerseys

1306295279015_ORIGINAL.jpg

However, it's probably much more likely that they choose something orange and blue.

Gotta Jet

Aug 25, 2011
Behind the net
Not sure if I`ll be going but I would certainly entertain hosting some Oiler fans for some pregaming prior to the event. We are within walking distance of IGF.

This sounds like a lot of fun and I believe the alum game may be the prize here.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Looking forward to this. Interesting that Wayne was never interested in any alumni games until being convinced to do the one at Commonwealth, and now he's doing a second one.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I didn't know the league was capable of holding outdoor games without Chicago's involvement.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Hoping we'll see some guys from the 90s/early 00s on the team too. I wanna see Smytty-Weight-Guerin re-united. And get Cujo or Roli out there.

Nichols-Damphousse-Murphy line
Niiniima, Ranford and Cujo please.

the loved ones!

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
if Janne Niinimaa plays for the alum, can we get him to keep his gear on for the regular season game?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
These games have been overdone and the uniqueness has been completely destroyed. The NHL, always good at doing things the wrong way and ruining them.

NHL is at "milking it" stage right now.. They will keep doing it til the $$$ stop going in their pockets or until they find a better way to make even more $$.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
NHL is at "milking it" stage right now.. They will keep doing it til the $$$ stop going in their pockets or until they find a better way to make even more $$.

After the inaugural one by the Oilers, these outdoor games have always been about milking it more than celebrating anything.

That said, at least we aren't stuck with the same 6-7 teams year in year out.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
We're going to get asked to be in a lot of outdoor games now because of other teams want to cash in on that McBonanza.

Guessing the Oilers will rock the white Alberta Oilers uni (the away version of our current orange thirds).

I think Oilers will wear their current orange thirds. I expect Jets to embrace the white out and wear white.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
These games have been overdone and the uniqueness has been completely destroyed. The NHL, always good at doing things the wrong way and ruining them.

Tough to say it's not worth it though if the events still make gobs of money and sell out (not sure if they do every time or not)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
how can we get tickets for this ?
I wanna go , road trip !

Realistically theres no way to get face tickets for this. When the Oilers had this it was next to impossible for anybody but STH to get their hands on any tickets.

Unless you can pay markup resale price which would go for probably 1K. The Edmonton game was a really big deal. This one will be as well. The Alumni game makes all the difference in terms of creating market demand.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Having the alumni game is the right thing to do imo. It increases the appeal and marketing buzz around the outdoor classic theme. Without the Alumni component its mostly just another game.

Nice that Winnipeg picked Edmonton due to the WHA roots connection but weirdly enough that Jets team is in Arizona. This Jets team hails from Atlanta.

Kind of confusing but I still get the Winnipeg/Edmonton connection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad