Oilers will look to sign Klefbom long term this summer

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

I love Klefbom. I hope they sign him for 8. If they can lock him up in the 4 range I think that would be a fantastic deal down the road, even if it's an overpayment in the short term.

What are your thoughts?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If we get him at a cap hit at 4 or less for long term that would be awesome.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Probably looking at Brodin's 25M over 6 years as a comparable, maybe a little less.

I wouldn't have a huge problem with it, but I don't see how it would hurt to wait until next season? I mean, unless he absolutely knocks it out of the park, he won't get any more then that. And he could still struggle, like many young d-man do, and with the big ticket the pressure will be on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dude's played like 35 good games for the Oilers ... let him earn it before giving him some massive raise.

It's not always good for the player either to hand them such a huge contract and then they start to put major expectations on themselves and every time they make a mistake it becomes something that weighs on them.

I think Rishaug is out to lunch on this one.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Great, another long term contract based on potential before we have any idea what the potential of the player is.

Good thing Mact declared Kelfbom a future star, one immune to developmental stagnation or struggles. I'm sure that will help the franchise in contract negotiations :sarcasm::laugh:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'd want to see what he can do for a full season before handing him the keys to the new Cadillac...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like this. Klefbom is a good guy to gamble on, and we could use a few risky signings with potential to be cap bargains down the line

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Way too soon. Lets let him earn a contract rather than hope he lives up to one.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
I like this. Klefbom is a good guy to gamble on, and we could use a few risky signings with potential to be cap bargains down the line
If we want to keep the core long term, we will need a few value contracts. To create that, as you say, Oilers will need to take some risks. In this case though, I think we can wait until next summer.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

I love Klefbom. I hope they sign him for 8. If they can lock him up in the 4 range I think that would be a fantastic deal down the road, even if it's an overpayment in the short term.

What are your thoughts?

Right there with you. Barring a miracle FA signing, Klefa is the alpha dog on defense. Give him $4M per year long-term, at worst he stagnates as a middle-pairing guy who earns his money easily. At best and in reality, he's our 1D until someone develops into the guy that takes his post. That won't happen for several years.

Also re-sign Marincin for $1.5M.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
imo it's only too soon depending on what the cap number is. If it's an 'assume the best' type deal like Eberle, RNH got then it would be a bad idea (even though such a deal would be a lot less than 6 million I realize).

I suppose if we're expecting a bad season it might also be smart to wait since on a bad team his play wouldn't improve so much that his bargaining position would improve

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I really like Klefbom's game and think he can become a really good player soon but why the long term contract so quickly? He has got to prove himself to earn that long term contract in my opinion. The man has shown that he is capable of playing in the NHL in 4/5 role but he has only played 77 games. He's got to prove more than he has at the moment over a wider range of games that he is someone we should lock up long term.

I think he will prove that he is worthy of a long term contract later in his career but it doesn't make sense right now.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
If they can sign him to a similar deal to Josi (7yr/$28M) then I'd be thrilled with this move. Even if he completely stagnates $4M per year for a second pairing D is a good price.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I am in favour of long term deals where you can get a lower cap hit. At 4M Klefbom will be a deal even if he tops out at a 3/4 role. In a cap world you have to gamble on potential. The key is correctly identifying the guys that have the potential to outperform their cap hit.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
I would give him a bridge contract for two years then sign him long term if it were me.
Klefbom would be 24, almost 25 when the 2-year bridge contract would be up. In that situation, if you want to go long-term, you are going to pay for quite a few UFA years. Could be a really expensive contract, if he keeps developing.

It's a pretty tricky situation imo.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
I'd look to lock him up for 4 years. Start him in the 2m range then toward 4.5 at the end. Fair amount of risk, but could have a legit #3-4, quite possibly #2 d-man on a steal of a contract near/at the end of the deal.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Yup, sounds right.

Given his injury history until recently it's bold. Klefbom is about as poster-boy as you can get for arguing the merits of a bridge deal. It may work out, or it may not; there's no way to tell but jump.

I do really like the player, but a bridge deal is prudent. And it's not a fantastic idea to ridiculously pump a players tires in the media while you trying to negotiate a deal.

Bang up job guys, it's really encouraging to see that MacT has learned from the mistakes he made with Shultz's contract (which now has an asinine qualifying offer.

Klefbom is the new Schultz
As Shultz was the new Petry,
As Petry was the new Gilbert,
etc

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I think Klefbom is one of the few players one would be justified to gamble on. He's already proven he can play big minutes (still makes mistakes for sure), has size and skating and no glaring holes in the game. He will only get better. I'd say if they can lock him long-term at just over 4M per it's a win win for both sides. Klefbom gets a massive security blanket, the Oilers potentially save 15-20M over the course of the contract. At worst, they will end up with a 4D making 4M. Not the worst outcome for the club that is employing Nikitin and Ferrence at that rate.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
Nikitan $4.5 for another season
Schultz $3.675 - in negotiations right now
Fayne $3.5 for three more seasons
Ference $3.5 average for two more seasons

For some strange reason I do not trust Oilers management in assessing defensemen talent or paying them appropriately.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If were signing him long term it better be around 3M. I want to see the guy play a whole season first, on top of that he has a history of injuries.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
If were signing him long term it better be around 3M. I want to see the guy play a whole season first, on top of that he has a history of injuries.

I am not sure of the definition of long term, but since he is a RFA for 5 more years, long term better mean a 3 year contract at $2.5 million per season...

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Nikitan $4.5 for another season
Schultz $3.675 - in negotiations right now
Fayne $3.5 for three more seasons
Ference $3.5 average for two more seasons

For some strange reason I do not trust Oilers management in assessing defensemen talent or paying them appropriately.
That's what happens when you can't develop your own players, you end up having to overpay mediocre UFAs.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I am not sure of the definition of long term, but since he is a RFA for 5 more years, long term better mean a 3 year contract at $2.5 million per season...

He's an RFA for 5 more years!! Damn stupid management here, bridge deal is what he should get. 2 years 2M max.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad