Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

Victor?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
f*** yah Whit. Always said it’s nice to have allies in the media for a change.
Allies like Whitney I could do without. He's carved this org, and this team more times than I care to count including this season.

he was one of the first to jump the ship this season and talk about how awful and doomed this club was.

Don't care for Biznasty either. Sad day when village idiots became the sporting media.

Reactions: rboomercat90

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
God f***ing damn it

8p7qa8.jpg

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Allies like Whitney I could do without. He's carved this org, and this team more times than I care to count including this season.

he was one of the first to jump the ship this season and talk about how awful and doomed this club was.

Don't care for Biznasty either. Sad day when village idiots became the sporting media.
I know that was bs when he left. Buts he made amends, called himself an idiot over it, and apologize profusely. It’s not ideal, but the Oilers don’t have enough allies in media. It’s nice to have one.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Scott Oake isn’t fit for figure skating. He always has his little digs about the Oilers. He’s terrible.
I won't comment on Figure Skating as I don't watch it!! But no one is worse than Gene, not even Leah H.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I know that was bs when he left. Buts he made amends, called himself an idiot over it, and apologize profusely. It’s not ideal, but the Oilers don’t have enough allies in media. It’s nice to have one.
We have a bunch of posters on our own site that quit the team multiple times every period. ;) Whit knows he made a dumb comment in the heat of the moment, apologized profusely, and he’s publicly a huge Oiler advocate. Enough people hate our guts, we shouldn’t complain when somebody actually is cheering for us and despises our opponent.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We have a bunch of posters on our own site that quit the team multiple times every period. ;) Whit knows he made a dumb comment in the heat of the moment, apologized profusely, and he’s publicly a huge Oiler advocate. Enough people hate our guts, we shouldn’t complain when somebody actually is cheering for us and despises our opponent.
That’s a good point. He’s a fan. And fans can act irrational and reactive at times. We know all too well around here.

Reactions: bellagiobob

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Canucks are a weird example though. After a few year run of 2-2 season splits, Edmonton had gone on a pretty nice 12-5 run vs. Vancouver or 6-1 over the previous two seasons. In some ways, maybe Vancouver sweeping this year was balancing an untypically successful run for Edmonton against post-Covid.

Those wins were never lay ups though.

Despite the talent differences, the position in standings, etc it seems that we have had to grind out most (maybe even all?) of those games. Off the top of my head I can’t remember any time we really took them to the woodshed.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The canada day riot was absolutely fueled by the Weight trade. So many of the rioters were wearing Oil silks. I was on the strip and witnessed it myself. They obviously didn't anticipate the masses moving from Jasper to Whyte hence the lack of police presence.

I got the Pocklington incident mixed up.

The 2006 playoff riots absolutely did happen.

Youtube has plenty of old clips too. Old school. Lol

That riot had literally nothing to do with Doug Weight no matter how much you want it to for whatever reason.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That riot had literally nothing to do with Doug Weight no matter how much you want it to for whatever reason.

Yup, and then aside from that, the 'riots' were related to celebration of wins.

Vancouver is alone in burning down their city (much more widespread and dangerous riots) for losing (twice). What's the most recent sports related riot in Canada? Toronto? It was because the Raptors won.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The canada day riot was absolutely fueled by the Weight trade. So many of the rioters were wearing Oil silks. I was on the strip and witnessed it myself. They obviously didn't anticipate the masses moving from Jasper to Whyte hence the lack of police presence.

I got the Pocklington incident mixed up.

The 2006 playoff riots absolutely did happen.

Youtube has plenty of old clips too. Old school. Lol
Those weren’t riots. They were rowdy celebrations.

Reactions: AM and Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
So, you're telling me I don't have to put up with Gene anymore...

Oakes isn't great but Gene, uggghh
You're the first person I've encountered that doesn't like Gene Principe.

He’s fine when doing interviews or atleast being serious but when he does his opening schtick it’s painful.
I don’t care for the prop clown show.
To each their own of course.
#2 wtf

Gene Principe seems like the most affable and good-tempered person you could meet.

I bet the players appreciate him.

Last edited:

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I hope the team isn’t as overconfident as some of the fans seem to be. Vancouver has the Oilers’ number and when we had the chance to redeem ourselves late in the season and potentially take the division lead the Canucks prevailed. That has to be in the Oilers heads even if they’ll deny it.

For me 3 things need to happen for the Oilers to win:
1) Skinner needs to maintain a svp of .900 or better over the course of the series
2) Special teams need to continue operate at at least a combined 105% or better, ie 25% PP/80% PK
3) McDavid’s line needs to outscore Miller’s line at even strength. He was often stifled at 5v5 vs LA with only 3 ES points, and the Canucks will be studying the tape thoroughly.

If these 3 things happen the Oilers will win, if not the Canucks will take this series.

Reactions: oljimmy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad