GDT: Oilers vs. Canucks - Preseason Game 6/8 - October 3rd, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its an interesting line up.

I cant help but wonder if its foreshadowing on JP.

Interested to see if Holloway has chemistry with Draisaitl.

I think Benson and Virtanen are likely in the mix for the #14 forward.

If Samo has a good game wonder if it changes Nemo/Broberg discussions. Probably his last chance to really make a mark I think.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Its an interesting line up.

I cant help but wonder if its foreshadowing on JP.

Interested to see if Holloway has chemistry with Draisaitl.

I think Benson and Virtanen are likely in the mix for the #14 forward.

If Samo has a good game wonder if it changes Nemo/Broberg discussions. Probably his last chance to really make a mark I think.

Benson should be on the opening night roster based on his pre-season imo.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Would not do this line. Would be high GA line. Outscoring rather than just scoring is a better goal. This is not the ideal combo.
Is it? Hyman was one of our better wingers defensively last season, and Holloway by all accounts is very responsible defensively his entire junior/college career and both players are puck hounds who force turnovers and forecheck like crazy. The only actually defensively irresponsible player on this line is Drai.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is it? Hyman was one of our better wingers defensively last season, and Holloway by all accounts is very responsible defensively his entire junior/college career and both players are puck hounds who force turnovers and forecheck like crazy. The only actually defensively irresponsible player on this line is Drai.
Interesting take. Drai could be in the Selke convo in some years and is a past MVP player. But Drai knows he has to produce. he's a production player who sometimes forces offense. But he outscores in spades even despite high GA. Both McD and Drai have high GA. But the production they bring more than makes up for that. The trouble for Hyman is he's on ice for way more EVGA/60mins than our star players and while being a support player. 65EVGA for Hyman is a lot. 65EVGA for a 54pt player can be seen as not justified GA. Pulju with almost identical deployment had only 31EVGA. The two players play differently. Hyman is much more likely to get caught high.

This is not knocking Hyman. He's a scoring winger, but he makes the team better if he picks his spots better. Pulju is probably a better match on that line. Somebody that is going to be back.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Looks like we get to see Holloway with Drai and Hyman!

salute.gif

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Interesting take. Drai could be in the Selke convo in some years and is a past MVP player. But Drai knows he has to produce. he's a production player who sometimes forces offense. But he outscores in spades even despite high GA. Both McD and Drai have high GA. But the production they bring more than makes up for that. The trouble for Hyman is he's on ice for way more EVGA/60mins than our star players and while being a support player. 65EVGA for Hyman is a lot. 65EVGA for a 54pt player can be seen as not justified GA. Pulju with almost identical deployment had only 31EVGA. The two players play differently. Hyman is much more likely to get caught high.

This is not knocking Hyman. He's a scoring winger, but he makes the team better if he picks his spots better. Pulju is probably a better match on that line. Somebody that is going to be back.
You can have the best stickchecking/positional play ever it wont matter if you're not even in the defensive zone. The reality is McDrai take a lot of massive risks in the offensive zone that lead to scoring chances against, it just doesn't matter b/c they are the two best offensive players in the world and make up for the goals against and then some. Also part of it is obviously they're not going all out in regular season, McDavid's defensive game in playoffs was strong, Drai got injured by that clown Anderson so his defensive issues in playoffs weren't his fault.

Also I do agree Puljujarvi is better defensively than Hyman but it's not as if we're trotting out Phil Kessel on right wing. Our weakest defensive winger is probs Yams. Hyman's GA stats from last year, like a lot of Oilers, is inflated by Tippett being an absolute donkey. His defensive metrics and goal differential and goals against in Toronto were always above average.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Benson may have had a better preseason so far, but Virtanen has shown he is 10x the player Benson is at the NHL level. I think the brass are willing to give Virtanen all the time he needs to get up-and-running in hopes he can be a similar player to what he was before he left the NHL. He has shown to be world's ahead of Benson at the NHL level so I don't blame the club for letting him get back into game shape as much as possible and hoping he can be a serviceable 4th line guy for us in a way Benson has NEVER shown.

Excited to see Holloway with the big boys.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Benson may have had a better preseason so far, but Virtanen has shown he is 10x the player Benson is at the NHL level. I think the brass are willing to give Virtanen all the time he needs to get up-and-running in hopes he can be a similar player to what he was before he left the NHL. He has shown to be world's ahead of Benson at the NHL level so I don't blame the club for letting him get back into game shape as much as possible and hoping he can be a serviceable 4th line guy for us in a way Benson has NEVER shown.

Excited to see Holloway with the big boys.
Virtanen hasn't shown shit so far, and he should be considering it's a PTO. He's no where near a lock at this point, and I'd take Benson over him easily for our 4th line.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

JP hasn't earned the right to be a top 6 so far. Holloway is getting a chance here to cement that fact. If he does well, then for sure Jesse is bumped down (Woody even said that the 2nd line RW is being auditioned). Problem being if that line of McLeod RNH Foegele kills it again, where does that leave Jesse?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
JP hasn't earned the right to be a top 6 so far. Holloway is getting a chance here to cement that fact. If he does well, then for sure Jesse is bumped down (Woody even said that the 2nd line RW is being auditioned). Problem being if that line of McLeod RNH Foegele kills it again, where does that leave Jesse?
Where do you want it to leave Jesse?

Look, the Oilers have no trouble scoring goals. That isn't often the issue with this club. The chief area of improvement to become an elite club is to limit GA. Pulju was the best answer to that question of any of the forwards last season. In probability Holloway will bring more offense. I was just mentioning that with this line specifically it could be high GA with Drai centering Hyman and Holloway. Its not where I would want it to land.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Where do you want it to leave Jesse?

Look, the Oilers have no trouble scoring goals. That isn't often the issue with this club. The chief area of improvement to become an elite club is to limit GA. Pulju was the best answer to that question of any of the forwards last season. In probability Holloway will bring more offense. I was just mentioning that with this line specifically it could be high GA with Drai centering Hyman and Holloway. Its not where I would want it to land.
Actually Holloway has been good defensively overall too - hence the copious PK time so far (unlike someone else who is supposed to be a defensive juggernaut).

As to where I want Jesse? It's time to move on I think. He's a vet now, and still looking awkward. He needs to adjust his game to be successful in the NHL, and has shown flashes but keeps going back to his default habits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad