:edmonton

18-22-3, 6th in Pacific Division
9-10-2 on Road
4-5-1 Last 10
2 game losing skid, Lost last game 4-1 in Chicago
Leading Scorer:
Connor McDavid 47 pts (14G/33A)
Key Injuries: None
Interesting Stat: McDavid is without a goal in his past 7 games.

Oilers Projected Lines per Oilers.com

Maroon-McDavid-Drasaitl
Lucic-RNH-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Cammalleri
Cagguilla-Letestu-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Benning
Sekera-Russell

Starting Goalie
Cam Talbot
(15-15-2 / 3.12 GAA / .902 Sv%)

:nashville

24-11-6, 3rd in Central Division
12-4-2 at home
4-4-2 Last 10

Won last game v Los Angeles 4-3
Leading Scorer:
Filip Forsberg (15-19-34)
Key Injuries: Filip Forsberg
Interesting Stat: Nashville has won 10 consecutive games against Edmonton, its longest active winning streak against an opponent.

Preds Projected Lines based on Preds.com

Forwards
Pontus Aberg - Ryan Johansen - Viktor Arvidsson
Kevin Fiala - Kyle Turris - Craig Smith
Scott Hartnell - Nick Bonino - Colton Sissons
Miikka Salomaki - Calle Jarnkrok - Austin Watson

Defense
Roman Josi - Ryan Ellis
Mattias Ekholm - P.K. Subban
Alexei Emelin - Yannick Weber

Starting Goaltender
Pekka Rinne (20-8-3 / 2.43 GAA / .922 Sv%)

:nhl

Referees
Francois St.Laurant (38) Francis Charron (6)

Linesmen
Scott Cherrey (50) Shandor Alphonso (52)

Quotes
Oilers head coach Todd McLellan said that the time away from the rink on Monday - the team's first day off in 11 days coming out of a Christmas break that's seen them win once in seven tries (1-5-1) - was helpful for two reasons. "One, just for the physical fatigue, we need an opportunity to rest our bodies a little bit. But also the mental part. Just to get away from the rink, get away from the media and the questions and get some therapy that way."​

"Having the day off yesterday, it's easy to bury the last two. You watch clips to review your game and where it's at but you're coming into this one very fresh," Letestu remarked.

Sekera missed Sunday's game because Coach McLellan wanted to give him a break after he hadn't missed a game or practice since returning just before the Christmas break.
"There's three parts to it," McLellan said of sitting Sekera on Sunday. "There's the injury and the ability to give it a rest. It's taxing, the amount of hockey he's played coming back. We were in four games in six nights, we were in a back-to-back situation. Also, the rest of his body. You can't just focus on his knee. There's other parts of the body that get sore and you get worn down a little bit. So think the day did him well. It wasn't the best situation for us as a group because we like how he plays and what he brings to the table but we have to look at the big picture. We've got 40-some games left and we need him healthy."

As for Caggiula, the head coach said he was looking for more consistency out of him.
"Drake will come back and play and he can be a real factor. Some of his best games came after he came back into the lineup in early December. For a young player that's entering his second year and been injured a few times, he's got to learn to be a lot more consistent. We're talking a lot about the players that come in and out of the lineup; we need that from everybody."
McLellan added he wants that consistency out of everybody.
"Not just Drake Caggiula or Anton Slepyshev, the ones that go in and out. We need it from the ones that are playing 17, 18, 19 minutes a night on a consistent nightly basis to provide it, too.
"Often the focus is on the guys that go out and come back in. It needs to be on some others as well."

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnoutboi

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Is this still considered a must win? Or have we entered the don't f***ing embarrass me anymore territory?

Oilers 8
Preds 4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So glad I don't watch games live. Will catch this one on NHL TV, probably skip enough of it to be done watching in half hour.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I call this parody (Butt)Hurt, and dedicate it to all the Chia haters. RIP Johnny.

What have they become
We were supposed to contend
Every skilled winger I know goes away
In the end
And you had Ebs and Hall
But Chia lifted his skirt
Pete will let you down
Pete will make you hurt

Reactions: McFuhryous

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The last time the Oilers played the Preds they went on a 4 game winning streak after being beaten 4-0... hoping for a repeat except hopefully it'll be a 40 game winning streak this time.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This was the game when I looked at the schedule like 5 games ago, that I thought was a guaranteed lost. Knowing the Oilers they will probably win this game after losing the previous 5 or w/e.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I’m cautiously optimistic the good Oilers might show up for today’s tilt.

Key word is might.

After a CBA mandated day off in Nashville? I'm not holding my breath. I guess we'll see what the team thinks of McClellan at least. If they have any desire for him to stay behind the bench they should come out with a strong effort after Chia had to face the heat yesterday.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Nashville eats Oiler flakes for breakfast.

They're polar opposite teams.

One is a hard working, quick decision making, fast first step team that has a game plan and never deviates.

The other is a fragile egg that cracks under the first hint of adversity.

I wonder how long it goes before some moron on the Oilers poops his pants and blows his coverage so some no name Nashville player scores the easiest back door tap in ever.

Team Try to win vs Team scared to lose
Team stick to the plan vs Team omg what's the plan again.
Team quick decisions with puck vs Team no decision (aka wrap that bitch around the boards yikes yikes yikes!)
Team drive to the net vs Team take the outside shots.. they're easy to rack up.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's (mildly) interesting that even though the Oilers have shit the bed over the last 7 games... just 1 win and have scored just 3 goals in their last 5 games (tangential... has any Oilers team ever only scored 3 goals over a 5 game stretch? Must be close to the record for futility.)... they are still just 7/8 pts back of 4 teams in the West that they would have to catch for a wildcard spot.

Over the last 10 games the Oilers have only lost 1 point in the race with Minny and 2 pts in the chase with Calgary/Chicago/Anaheim.

Point being that those teams were just sitting there ripe for the picking and if the Oilers wouldn't have shit the bed over their past 7... they would likely be right there with those teams in that chase.

Yes I know... ifs and buts... candies and nuts...

Bad news is Colorado is on a heater and if they keep playing well... there's no way the Oilers are going to get it together enough to make a difference barring a McJesus miracle.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
It's (mildly) interesting that even though the Oilers have **** the bed over the last 7 games... just 1 win and have scored just 3 goals in their last 5 games (tangential... has any Oilers team ever only scored 3 goals over a 5 game stretch? Must be close to the record for futility.)... they are still just 7/8 pts back of 4 teams in the West that they would have to catch for a wildcard spot.

Over the last 10 games the Oilers have only lost 1 point in the race with Minny and 2 pts in the chase with Calgary/Chicago/Anaheim.

Point being that those teams were just sitting there ripe for the picking and if the Oilers wouldn't have **** the bed over their past 7... they would likely be right there with those teams in that chase.

Yes I know... ifs and buts... candies and nuts...

Bad news is Colorado is on a heater and if they keep playing well... there's no way the Oilers are going to get it together enough to make a difference barring a McJesus miracle.
One big problem is after our Vegas game we will only have 3 games in 16 days....all those teams will probably pull ahead. For some reason we have two 5 day breaks close to each other.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This is a game they should lose, so they should win.

But I won't fall for the double fake out anymore.

100% loss.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
One big problem is after our Vegas game we will only have 3 games in 16 days....all those teams will probably pull ahead. For some reason we have two 5 day breaks close to each other.

3 games in 18 days... 4 games in 22 days... it's going to be a long boring stretch alright... at that point we'll likely just want it all over with and on to the draft/summer/firings/AA meetings.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nashville is a prime example of what can happen when the GM tries to improve the team.
And they have Tolvanen just destroying the KHL too.

3 games in 18 days... 4 games in 22 days... it's going to be a long boring stretch alright... at that point we'll likely just want it all over with and on to the draft/summer/firings/AA meetings.
This team also takes a few games to remember have to play after breaks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad