Oilers Untouchables. #4

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
After 3-4 "untouchables," there should be an option for nobody.

Klefbom, Draisaitl, and Eberle are close to it. But there are deals for each of them I would consider. Klefbom is probably the least touchable though.

There should have been an option for nobody at the start. How can there be untouchables on a team that hasnt sniffed the playoffs in almost a decade? Whatever it takes to make this team competitive you do it.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
There should have been an option for nobody at the start. How can there be untouchables on a team that hasnt sniffed the playoffs in almost a decade? Whatever it takes to make this team competitive you do it.

Agree - McDavid is the only piece I wouldn't move no matter what right now. All others could be fair game.

Might have been better to set-up a poll of who is the most valuable.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Agree - McDavid is the only piece I wouldn't move no matter what right now. All others could be fair game.

Might have been better to set-up a poll of who is the most valuable.

I think that's how we should read it, but also in terms of who is most valuable in the mid-to-long term. I see a few choosing Klefbom over Nurse and maybe they believe that Klefbom honestly will top out better than Nurse, but personally I think Nurse has all the tools and mindset to be a true #1... I also think he has a good shot of achieving it. Klefbom, at his reasonable ceiling, I see as a very, very solid #2 or a terrific #3.

Now, I also have no doubt Klefbom will be better than Nurse next year. Still, so will Fayne. Is Mark Fayne untouchable? Not really.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I read this poll as Chiarelli asking Yzerman that he wants Bishop in a 1 for 1 trade and Yzerman telling him the 3 possible names he would take for him.

Klefbom for Bishop vs Eberle for Bishop vs Draisaitl for Bishop

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
1. McDavid
2. Nugent-Hopkins
3. Hall
4. Nurse
5. Draisatl
6. Eberle
7. Klefbom
8. Yakupov
9. Pouliot
10. Yakimov/Lander/Brossoit

My list, not really an "untouchable list" anymore. More just who I think will be the most important to the team in the future.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
1 in 3 still consider small, non-physical, scoring winger untouchable. sigh.

The poll should be most valuable, not most untouchable. We're getting to the point where nothing is untouchable. Actually, think we passed that after RNH.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

exactly. I'll trade anyone or anything (other than McDavid) if it makes sense. Allegiances, favourites, and supporting the original plan have gotta go.

The core failed, the plan failed.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Clearly it isn't. If it was, Eberle wouldn't end up behind Nurse (not an NHLer) and Klefbom (a 3rd pairing NHLer).
Nah, being selected to play on Crosby's wing for team Canada doesn't mean much.
I'd much rather go with guys who haven't even got their feet wet in the NHL over the guy who just led the team in scoring, again.
Remember when MPS was untouchable? And how this board loved J Schultz when he was ripping up the AHL in the lockout? He was totally untouchable too. Good times.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think a good way to look at this list too, is that we are building a team around McDavid. Who do we want to be a part of that? Who would we be fine moving away from. If it remains this close by morning, I might put both Klef and Ebs through (in whatever order).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
1 in 3 still consider small, non-physical, scoring winger untouchable. sigh.

yeh we are talking about Eberle and not Purcell here. He is much more than your description. Led the team in Goals and Assists and even had more hits than the wonder kid who has more votes than him.

Klefbom is projecting nicely but Eberle is a legit top line RW in this league.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
I don't understand people who are voting for Eberle at 6M over Yakupov at 2.5M.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
I voted for Klefbom because Eberle would at least draw a huge return. Klefbom may be equally as important to the Oilers success but is not worth much in a trade.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
No more untouchables.

Everyone on this list is trade-able for an upgrade on Defense (even if 2 of them were packaged for a #1).

The kind of trade like:
Klefbom+Eberle for OEL should be done in a Heartbeat.

(Phoenix would not do this).

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
My top 10 by value to the Oilers (and their anticipated long term contributions):

McDavid
Hall
Nugent-Hopkins
Yakupov
Nurse
Eberle
Draisaitl
Klefbom
Lander
Marincin

I truly don't believe I'd deal any of the top 6 from that list at this point. Maybe in the future, but plug our holes with non-core pieces, we have plenty of assets IMO. That PIT1 should be good for something for one example.

And rationale for my list, where many would swap Klef for Yak directly, is their upside. Yakupov has it in him to be a 40-50 goal scoring forward that can throw some hits around to boot. Klefbom, at best, is an Adam Foote type player. While this would be great news for the Oilers, that's still not a top pairing guy for a contender. Top PK perhaps, but not ES or PP. I liked Nurse heading into his draft and do believe he has #1 dman Pronger like upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad