Oilers Untouchables. #3 ‎

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Another aspect of my logic in choosing Klefbom:

He has more value to the Oilers than he probably has around the league. A potential top-3 defenceman is a gamble. Most teams have 2-3 of those guys at some point in their development system, so adding another one is a luxury, not a need. For that reason, his value suffers.

Nurse and Draisaitl are probably properly valued around the leaugue. That is, high-end "can't miss" top-flight prospects. Therefore, the return might be worth as much to the Oilers as their prospect value. They should not be moved for anything short of overpayment, but I wouldn't automatically hang up on teams inquiring.

Yakupov would almost certainly be selling low at this point, so the safe bet is to hold onto him and hope he shows a season or two at the level he's played after Christmas.

Schultz is the opposite of Klefbom, IMO. He's probably worth more around the league than he is to the Oilers. The prospect shine hasn't worn off, and the offensive numbers can't be denied. He's probably the most tradeable asset on this list in my mind, because the return might be worth more than his spot in the lineup (assuming a replacement RHD/Puck-mover can be found in trade or free agency.

Eberle is my favourite current Oiler (I can probably only say that for another 3-4 weeks). But again, his value in the league is established, and the return could be very very good.

But I don't think any of the guys on this list (except Schultz, whose value is most likely to diminish if held) should be traded for anything short of a top-pairing D or established number 1 goalie. Since that deal probably isn't happening, I'd be shocked if any of these pieces were moved before next summer.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
^don't get me wrong, I love Ebs and he's probably our third best player, but I wouldn't consider him untouchable.

Yeah, after Nurse, I don't know who else I'd consider untouchable.

True. I'm not sure if I consider any of these players untouchable now. Only one is, and he isn't on the team yet,

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If he proves to be a 35 point #1 defenseman clearly the tables turn. That said RNH is not just a 2C, he'd be a 1C on a number of teams in the league and he has yet to reach his peak. Hall is also not just a 1LW, he is one of the best scoring LWers in the league. If Nurse becomes our 1D by default and in reality is a Petry level guy but more physical is he worth more than the other two? With Nurse it's all about potential right now, until he realizes it there's no way that I put him ahead of the other two or Klefbom for that matter. He is not a McDavid-esque talent that warrants him being penciled in as our 1C for the entirety of his RFA years at the very least.

He's the most unique talent the Oilers have and happens to play D, a position that where the Oilers are deficiently deficient.

It's possible that he just turns out to be a run of the mill 2nd pairing Dman but right now, he is a physical, exceptionally fast 6'5" defenseman with unlimited potential and for an Oilers team that has been looking for a player with this type of potential and skillset since Pronger, that holds huge value.

The moment the Oilers drafted McDavid, RNH became the long term #2C just like when the Oilers drafted RNH, Gagner became the long term #2C. Not using a direct comparable, just a situation where a vastly superior player was drafted to eventually supplant the current #1C.

This is one of those situations where RNH probably holds more value on the trade market than he does to the Oilers while Nurse holds more value to the Oilers than he does on the trade market.
You lose RNH or Hall, you still have plenty of skilled forwards. If you lose Nurse, you have Klefbom and then a barren wasteland of nothingness.

However, when it all boils down to it, every player on the roster outside of McDavid is touchable in the right deal. I just think that outside of McDavid, Nurse is the player that they can ill afford to lose as the roster currently stands IMO.
I also want to clarify that I'm not advocating dealing RNH or Hall now. Just saying that they REALLY can't afford to deal Nurse right now, moreso than the others if they had to choose.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
a guy who has played 2 NHL games is the 3rd most untouchable player?
never change HF

A guy who is not even drafted is our #1 most untouchable player.

:P

deal-with-it-cat11.jpeg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
a guy who has played 2 NHL games is the 3rd most untouchable player?
never change HF

Ference has played hundreds of NHL games so is he the most untouchable Oiler now?
McDavid has played zero NHL games, zero pro games so is he the most touchable Oiler?

Why in your mind NHL experience the most important factor in determining touchability of young core players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad