Oilers Untouchables. #2

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
We know we have holes on this team that can be filled by making some painful trades. All of our top assets have been given arguments as to why they shouldn't be moved.

I'd like to know which players/prospects you would want to keep here the most. I'm going to do a poll every day.

Vote for who you want to keep the most on this team. I'm keeping McDavid off this list, as he is a no-brainer #1 (and we don't have him yet).

If you think another name should be on this list, please let me know.

Winner For Most untouchable Player is Taylor Hall. Who is next!?

1. Taylor Hall - 52.30%

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm voting RNH. I figure this will be a landslide victory for him. Hall is a guy I feel can be seen on the same status level as a Tavares, especially now as he might get to play with McDavid.

RNH is a #1C that many teams out there badly need. We have the luxery now of having him first shelter McDavid, then get the easy competition after McDavid takes off. I'm really looking forward to watching them as a 1-2 punch down the middle.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Nuge, Hall and McDavid should be the only untouchables on this team. Nurse in a few years could be that. ditto for Klefbom. As of now, nobody else should be.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
If McDavid isn't part of the decision, hard not to see it being Hall & RNH in the first 2.

I guess it's probably a good sign that Hall won with 52% of the vote. Closer than I expected. :handclap: Guess maybe we have some good players after all.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm pretty surprised that it's such a landslide.

Do most of you honestly think that Nuge will be more important to long term success than Nurse if both keep developing as we hope?
Next couple of seasons, sure, but long term?

I'm a big fan of Nuge but if it came down to the two, I'd say that he's more expendable and would garner a higher return as well. Not that I'm advocating dealing him by any means.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Do most of you honestly think that Nuge will be more important to long term success than Nurse if both keep developing as we hope?

I'm a big fan of Nuge but if it came down to the two, I'd say that he's more expendable and would garner a higher return as well. Not that I'm advocating dealing him by any means.

I voted nuge because I think right now he is unmovable, but barring a mcdavid bust this changes. How many players do you think are actually untouchable on a really good team? At best two and I bet one of those has a price. Mcdavid and hall will be ours down the road. Nuges untouchable status also depends on how drai develops, he could potentially leapfrog nuge. Nurse could be in that discussion but he would need to be a number 1 top d in the NHL which we will see in time if he makes it there he has the potential just harder to reach as a d man.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I voted nuge because I think right now he is unmovable, but barring a mcdavid bust this changes. How many players do you think are actually untouchable on a really good team? At best two and I bet one of those has a price. Mcdavid and hall will be ours down the road. Nuges untouchable status also depends on how drai develops, he could potentially leapfrog nuge. Nurse could be in that discussion but he would need to be a number 1 top d in the NHL which we will see in time if he makes it there he has the potential just harder to reach as a d man.

I think value to a team when it comes to a young core is projection and team fit long term.
Obviously RNH and Hall are their most valuable players now but in regards to identifying a core, you're looking at the big picture and projecting who fits the team best long term. If they dealt RNH, it would hurt, but they also have 2 elite prospects one generational to pin their hopes on. If they dealt Nurse? YIKES

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Who is more untouchable in MIN ? Parise or Dumba ?
RNH is 8yrs younger, plays C and scores at about the same rate.

Dumba might be important in long term success but is far from an untouchable especially with guys like Brodin (Klefbom) around.
Oilers without RNH would be lotto team again for another couple yrs. Nurse would be great in a couple yrs but is not an untouchable.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I will go with Nuge, I'm a big fan of his, and being #2 to McDavid might allow him to further develop into a Datsyuk type because he gets less pressure to be a go to offensive guy.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nuge

Where it gets interesting is where does Zacha/Crouse/Werenski/Rantanen rank in terms of untouchable when they fall to the 16th pick.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
CupofOil - we can project but if we're looking at who is untouchable at this current moment, surely Nurse isn't untouchable.

Or at least, not before McDavid, Hall, RNH, at the very least.

He hasn't cracked an NHL lineup and he doesn't have the pedigree that Ekblad or Jones have.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013

Nurse has to prove himself at the NHL level first before being considered untouchable.

birchy

Jun 30, 2014
This.

I think Nurse will for sure put himself in this conversation, but not just yet. At this point Nuge is the most untouchable on this list.

I was waffling back and forth between Nuge and Nurse.. voted for Nurse because I'm thinking "we need defense.." But yeah, Nurse isn't proven yet.. Nuge is.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I was waffling back and forth between Nuge and Nurse.. voted for Nurse because I'm thinking "we need defense.." But yeah, Nurse isn't proven yet.. Nuge is.

The "waffling" and the bolded makes sense if we were comparing Nurse and Draisaitl.
You pick the defenseman who looked solid in junior over the WHL MVP. Doesnt really work when comparing Nurse to RNH.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
CupofOil - we can project but if we're looking at who is untouchable at this current moment, surely Nurse isn't untouchable.

Or at least, not before McDavid, Hall, RNH, at the very least.

He hasn't cracked an NHL lineup and he doesn't have the pedigree that Ekblad or Jones have.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm just projecting when it comes to value and I'm sure the Oilers brass looks at it the same way.

I know that Hall and RNH currently have more value and might always have more value on the open market but as far as organizational importance is concerned thinking long term, I think Nurse holds more value to the Oilers than RNH does simply because the organizational strength lies at center.

Also, Nurse has such a unique skillset with the combination of size, speed, aggression and endurance. The player I saw at the WJC and in the OHL playoffs would be more valuable to the Oilers than anybody outside of McDavid if he plays like that at the NHL level. I was just supremely impressed with the huge strides that he took in his development this season, was kind of meh on him before this season. He will be huge for the Oilers if brought along properly.

Furthermore, CupofOil no longer works here anymore. It's McCupofOil :p:

Oct 15, 2008
I'm voting RNH. I figure this will be a landslide victory for him. Hall is a guy I feel can be seen on the same status level as a Tavares, especially now as he might get to play with McDavid.

RNH is a #1C that many teams out there badly need. We have the luxery now of having him first shelter McDavid, then get the easy competition after McDavid takes off. I'm really looking forward to watching them as a 1-2 punch down the middle.

He is a potential #1C.

And probably not ever on this team.

I wouldnt hang the #1C tag on him yet.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
he now has 93 votes... his number is 93 ...
its a sign that this poll should be ended.

I have a feeling that #3 would be a heated one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad