News and Blog Report: Oilers Unique Team Traits

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
It's nice to see an good explanation on why we suck.

Rather then the usual of just being told we suck.
While I agree with their general premise that the breakout of the Oilers was pretty poor I am not sure about some of the arguments.

In particular I feel like there is value to one winger springing up ice quickly in that it creates a hole for another forward to skate into. In some of those frames if David Perron or Jordan Eberle had hung back near the blue line for a pass they would be compressing the ice and allowing the other team to really stand us up. Instead they've created space for someone to skate into.

I definitely do agree with their assessment of guys not stopping in the D-zone (heck they could learn this lesson in the O-zone as well). Way too much floating going on with this forward group (which is a symptom of being mesmerized by the puck as opposed to focussing on your mark).

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
While I agree with their general premise that the breakout of the Oilers was pretty poor I am not sure about some of the arguments.

In particular I feel like there is value to one winger springing up ice quickly in that it creates a hole for another forward to skate into. In some of those frames if David Perron or Jordan Eberle had hung back near the blue line for a pass they would be compressing the ice and allowing the other team to really stand us up. Instead they've created space for someone to skate into.

I definitely do agree with their assessment of guys not stopping in the D-zone (heck they could learn this lesson in the O-zone as well). Way too much floating going on with this forward group (which is a symptom of being mesmerized by the puck as opposed to focussing on your mark).

Considering how weak our D is defensively and how piss poor our goaltending is/was, I don't think we can have/deserve that "luxury" of having one man cheat.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria

Kind of glad he called out Perron too (not stopping), because I saw this a lot from him last season as well. They better change their habits or else were looking at a bottom 5 finish again.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Didn't read it, but from some of the comments it sounds like it goes back to weak coaching, again.

Btw, am I alone in not being able to take any comments from Eakins seriously, this year? I shake my head every time I hear him talk. He reminds me of a con-man who talked his way into a really good job that he has zero qualifications for.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Didn't read it, but from some of the comments it sounds like it goes back to weak coaching, again.

Btw, am I alone in not being able to take any comments from Eakins seriously, this year? I shake my head every time I hear him talk. He reminds me of a con-man who talked his way into a really good job that he has zero qualifications for.

No. It's not just coaching. It's piss poor habits by our forwards and their offense only mindset over playing responsibly.

Not everyone will be a Patrice Bergeron/Pavel Datsyuk but you still have to be smart.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

:shakeheadWell perhaps you should have read the article. Because it doesn't support your conclusion…FAIL

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I dont know, you could cherry pick a few plays every year to make any argument against any player, picking on Perron and Eberle is a little harsh.

I do agree we need a little bit better puck support (closer players) not just Eberle or Perron, like in example 1, Nuge is the center man and needs to be supporting way closer than what he is, other than that its a 4on3 for us, so Perron isnt in that bad of shape where he is actually.

What we really need is better decisions with our dmen, making better plays, we are in decent shape on the defensive side of the puck in all the examples, we are out numbering the other team. Dmen just gotta quick trying to force pucks!

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I dont know, you could cherry pick a few plays every year to make any argument against any player, picking on Perron and Eberle is a little harsh.

I do agree we need a little bit better puck support (closer players) not just Eberle or Perron, like in example 1, Nuge is the center man and needs to be supporting way closer than what he is, other than that its a 4on3 for us, so Perron isnt in that bad of shape where he is actually.

What we really need is better decisions with our dmen, making better plays, we are in decent shape on the defensive side of the puck in all the examples, we are out numbering the other team. Dmen just gotta quick trying to force pucks!
Absolutely true…I think if you watch any team you can witness the same breakdowns. The biggest difference is that the Oilers make more mistakes. IMO this is because of inexperience and coaching/roster turnover.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Nice article. I think it explains pretty well why we aren't succeeding yet despite all the talent up front. People like to blame the D instead of the young guns but it's not easy playing defense when your forwards are coasting and not providing puck support etc. I felt this especially about Eberle last season so I'm not surprised he was targeted as the main example here. I don't even know how valuable his scoring is if he doesn't play defense like, at all. I was even thinking the other day that maybe we should trade him for a #2C. The guy is 24 now, you'd think he'd have learned a little something more about the game than just how to score by now.

Obviously Eberle isn't the only culprit. Perron does this too, Yakupov is completely lost, RNH had issues last year and Hall's first half was quite bad from a defensive perspective as well. Hall picked it up in the other half though, Perron was a strong player overall and RNH is three years younger. It may sound drastic but honestly I don't want a guy like Eberle on the team if he doesn't start playing in all three zones. It's not for naught strong two-way teams like Hawks, Bruins and Kings are successful in this league. I'd rather have a hard-working 50pt two-way guy than a 65pt floater. I'd be willing to trade him. I wonder what teams would be willing to give for him. Probably not much. Guys like him tends to trail off quite quickly as they get closer to 30 as well.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
:shakeheadWell perhaps you should have read the article. Because it doesn't support your conclusion…FAIL

Bad habits, bad breakout and coaching has nothing to do with it and cant be expected to correct, huh.

Ok. Thank you very much. Have a nice day.

Oct 30, 2011
Nice article. I think it explains pretty well why we aren't succeeding yet despite all the talent up front. People like to blame the D instead of the young guns but it's not easy playing defense when your forwards are coasting and not providing puck support etc. I felt this especially about Eberle last season so I'm not surprised he was targeted as the main example here. I don't even know how valuable his scoring is if he doesn't play defense like, at all. I was even thinking the other day that maybe we should trade him for a #2C. The guy is 24 now, you'd think he'd have learned a little something more about the game than just how to score by now.

Obviously Eberle isn't the only culprit. Perron does this too, Yakupov is completely lost, RNH had issues last year and Hall's first half was quite bad from a defensive perspective as well. Hall picked it up in the other half though, Perron was a strong player overall and RNH is three years younger. It may sound drastic but honestly I don't want a guy like Eberle on the team if he doesn't start playing in all three zones. It's not for naught strong two-way teams like Hawks, Bruins and Kings are successful in this league. I'd rather have a hard-working 50pt two-way guy than a 65pt floater. I'd be willing to trade him. I wonder what teams would be willing to give for him. Probably not much. Guys like him tends to trail off quite quickly as they get closer to 30 as well.

Agreed about Eberle. He's really at his most effective when he's providing puck support. If you look at RNH's goal from the last game, Eberle provides RNH and outlet up the boards. Because Eberle doesn't have the breakout speed of Hall or RNH to make defenders back up, he should be acting as the relay man to start the breakout. Once they have established possession in the offensive zone, Eberle just needs to get open and use his shot.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

It dont matter where are forwards are, if our defense are going to force the puck to areas they shouldnt be.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Agreed about Eberle. He's really at his most effective when he's providing puck support. If you look at RNH's goal from the last game, Eberle provides RNH and outlet up the boards. Because Eberle doesn't have the breakout speed of Hall or RNH to make defenders back up, he should be acting as the relay man to start the breakout. Once they have established possession in the offensive zone, Eberle just needs to get open and use his shot.

The frustrating thing with Ebs is that he has games where he plays the right way, provides support, is strong on the puck, takes a hit to make a play and actually bothers with the D zone. He has the hockey smarts to do it, he could probably be an actual two-way guy if he did it every night, but it just happens so seldom. Far too many nights he takes the road of least resistance, picks up some points due to his skill, shot and ridiculous offensive IQ but only plays one zone. The odd thing is that no coach has gone tough on him to teach him. Because to me he seem like exactly the guy who'd actually answer well to being put on the bottom line and be told he won't move up until he plays a full ice game. At least if it's a coach he respects.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Bad habits, bad breakout and coaching has nothing to do with it and cant be expected to correct, huh.

Ok. Thank you very much. Have a nice day.
I didn't read any of this but based on other comments I'm going to assume everything supports my own biased agenda.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm really glad this article was made. I never noticed that about Perron. We've gotta get them to cut that **** out.

If there's a turnover, sure Perron or Eberle can turn on the jets to try to get a quick offensive opportunity after receiving a stretch pass or something... but that crap just shouldn't fly.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm really glad this article was made. I never noticed that about Perron. We've gotta get them to cut that **** out.

If there's a turnover, sure Perron or Eberle can turn on the jets to try to get a quick offensive opportunity after receiving a stretch pass or something... but that crap just shouldn't fly.

It's also a good thing we got rid of Hemsky too. It's already bad enough that we had 2 players cheating for offense [Perron and Eberle] but having a 3rd do it as well, :shakehead

Granted Hemsky was probably just being Hemsky since he was used to being the de facto offensive player for the Oilers. The Phil Kessel for the Oilers...score and whatever else you do, turn blind eye

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Good article. Glad it exposes Eberle. You're a 6 million dollar man, for that money I want to see a 200 foot game. Hall finally bought in the final 30 games or so, Nuge adding 10lbs of muscle should mean he's more effective down low, if Ebs can commit as well we could have one of the best lines in hockey.... or we can continue this trend and have our entire team compete for the green jacket.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Somebody posted a link to this in another thread (cannot remember which one).

I found the article quite eye opening and informative myself. I even caught myself watching for this in the last pre season game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00