Oilers to Become First NHL Team to Use Pride Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

oiler-dude

Mods, if this belongs within another thread, please feel free to move.

Edmonton Oilers to Become First NHL Team to Use Pride Tape
(Edmonton, AB) – We’re all on the same team. This message of inclusiveness is behind Pride Tape – an idea that originated right here in Edmonton. Pride Tape is rainbow coloured, professional-grade hockey tape that is a physical representation of support from the teammates, coaches, parents and pros to young LGBTQ players. It shows every player that they belong in the game.

Members of the Edmonton Oilers will be the first in the National Hockey League (NHL) to utilize Pride Tape during the sold-out Skills Competition presented by Rogers on Sunday, January 24 at Rexall Place. The Skills Competition is an annual, fan-favourite event where the players go head-to-head in a battle of skill, speed and accuracy.

Full article at: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=799085&navid=DL|EDM|home

Good to see the Oilers step up and take a larger role in promoting equality in the sport. They've been pretty good already with their support of You Can Play, Ference & Scriven's appearances, etc., but hope this is the first of many steps to this kind of thing no longer being news.

:handclap:

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
=Good to see the Oilers step up and take a larger role in promoting equality in the sport. They've been pretty good already with their support of You Can Play, Ference & Scriven's appearances, etc., but hope this is the first of many steps to this kind of thing no longer being news.:handclap:

Agreed, good on the Oilers org and players for this. Even a small gesture like this can be meaningful and go a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I know this isn't a big deal. Not a big statement.

But I love it. This is one of those one small step for man things.

Plus it looks kinda cool.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think it looks awful but anything the oilers/ a hockey player can do to be a positive influence on hockey or the community is great.

The org should be more progressive and put captain moneybags to use.
(katz)

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Good on Ferrence and the guys doing it for the right reasons but let's be honest this is just a marketing ploy for the Katz money machine. The LGBTQ community is growing and they have money too. It's a demographic that has largely been ignored by professional sports. It's inexpensive and will get lots of media play, and could reel in some people who could care less about hockey or the Oilers but would like the team because they did something like this. Hell when I started dating my gf I told her she had to pick a NFL team to cheer for cause we watch football on sundays, she picked the Seahawks cause she liked their navy/lime green uni's. They went on to win the Superbowl that season lol.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Petr Klima, not because of his sexual orientation, but his love of crazily taped sticks back in the day, would approve of this.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
Good on Ferrence and the guys doing it for the right reasons but let's be honest this is just a marketing ploy for the Katz money machine. The LGBTQ community is growing and they have money too. It's a demographic that has largely been ignored by professional sports. It's inexpensive and will get lots of media play, and could reel in some people who could care less about hockey or the Oilers but would like the team because they did something like this. Hell when I started dating my gf I told her she had to pick a NFL team to cheer for cause we watch football on sundays, she picked the Seahawks cause she liked their navy/lime green uni's. They went on to win the Superbowl that season lol.

Andrew Ference is behind this, which mean's it's not a marketing ploy, Andrew is one of those descent human beings out there still, who actually gives an F about everyone.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I was hoping we could keep this on the topic of what's actually happening. If you want to have some political discussion, this isn't the place

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I hope Ference sticks around as a sort of community ambassador or something even if he's bought out/ retires next offseason.

Proud of the Oilers for being at the forefront of a great cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad