Post-Game Talk: Oilers Still Can't Beat The West and Lose 4-1

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
The Eberle sucks trend on this board is hilarious. Every one here makes this game sound so easy. The whole line is getting paired against the best players for the most part, and all 3 are having success right now. Its our secondary scoring thats the issue. Our PP is actually a huge issue to. Players like Perron, Purcell, Yak, really need to come through on games like tonight. They didnt get a sniff of Weber all game, and did nothing with it. Our first line actually had a very strong game to get a goal against Weber and Josi.

2/3 of the top line barely does anything. That line only works because Hall is on it. RNH and Eberle can't do anything on their own and all of them act like babies when they get split up. None of them are particularly good defensively either so that's another problem of having that line together and also, if they lose puck possession it's difficult for them to get it back.

We've seen this line combo many times in the past under Krueger and even Renney. It wasn't effective for more than a few games because of the major holes they all share. Really, the fault mainly lies with RNH and Eberle. They have not done anything these past few seasons with the roles they've been given. #1C and #1RW and they both play like crap without the best player on the team on their line. It's a joke.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Best part of last night's game at rexall - talking baseball and frantic updating of Score mobile when the World Series was in bottom 9.

2nd best part of last night's game at rexall - Craig Smith's variety and exuberance in celebration. One kneed fist pump, then stick twirl and sword sheath. Loved em both

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Craig Smith played 79 games last year, had 52 points, and finished with a +16 on a team that wasn't very good (in fact he was one of the few forwards that didn't finish the year with a minus). If he had played for the Oilers last year with those kind of numbers, he'd be hailed as the second coming of Doug Weight or something. He's already got 5 points this year (in 9 games). You can also play him on the wing, or at center. Right now, I would take have him over any of the following forwards: Purcell, Pouliot, Perron, Arcobello, Joensuu, Hendrix, Gordon or Acton. Pouliot and Perron have been absolute junk so far this year, and Purcell hasn't been much better.

Agree totally. C. Smith is a quality player and had a really good game last night. Not a lot of talk around the league, but such as life as a Predator.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
2/3 of the top line barely does anything. That line only works because Hall is on it. RNH and Eberle can't do anything on their own and all of them act like babies when they get split up. None of them are particularly good defensively either so that's another problem of having that line together and also, if they lose puck possession it's difficult for them to get it back.

We've seen this line combo many times in the past under Krueger and even Renney. It wasn't effective for more than a few games because of the major holes they all share. Really, the fault mainly lies with RNH and Eberle. They have not done anything these past few seasons with the roles they've been given. #1C and #1RW and they both play like crap without the best player on the team on their line. It's a joke.

Yep Hall does it vs the other 5 players on the other team all by himself. hahahhahahah

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
If an injury is contributing to Eberle's play right now he should be sitting until he's healthy. I don't care how many points he's got this year, he does not look good out there at all. He looked good in the one game against Carolina, other than that he's looked like an anchor for Hall and Nuge.

PensOil

Sep 4, 2014
I'm certainly no expert, but how do the Oilers plan on scoring when there is nobody in front of the net? They break down the ice in a line like a train and then if they make it they split up with one on each side way on the boards and another behined the net. Am I not understanding the plan lol?

lampshade*

Your going to have the first line trying to do to much, and turning the puck over at times if they are down and not getting any help from other lines. Common hockey knowledge.

So for the last yrs and this one currently the first line gets a pass in regards to turnovers because they are "pressing" . Like I said before the entire team is accountable and the first line players know this, puzzling that you don't.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I don't care if we win 4 in a row or what. Is it just me or did the team have more magic under Renney/Krueger. Etc the 8 goal blowouts of Chicago? Or Nail becoming the 2nd highest scoring player in the game after ovechkin hte last month of his rookie year?

When Eakins says "we are not a high scoring team" it raises concern to me. This teams offensive stars just look so lame duck and sad compared to the same players under previous coaches. Remember RNH rookie year?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't care if we win 4 in a row or what. Is it just me or did the team have more magic under Renney/Krueger. Etc the 8 goal blowouts of Chicago? Or Nail becoming the 2nd highest scoring player in the game after ovechkin hte last month of his rookie year?

When Eakins says "we are not a high scoring team" it raises concern to me. This teams offensive stars just look so lame duck and sad compared to the same players under previous coaches. Remember RNH rookie year?

Extra confusing is that this year Eakins is pushing a system where we cheat for offense and has his guys saying stuff like they won't give up what they want to do offensively to prevent more quality chances against. Eakins is just all over the map and we have to hope Ramsay can save the day...because the alternative might be another rookie HC in Messier, and probably Buchy after that. In Eakins/Ramsay we trust!! because the alternative might be a whole new low.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
So for the last yrs and this one currently the first line gets a pass in regards to turnovers because they are "pressing" . Like I said before the entire team is accountable and the first line players know this, puzzling that you don't.

Now your taking it way out of context.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
This team will continue to get dominated by the West. The game plan against the Oilers is simple. Be as physical as possible against the Nuge line to shut them down and win the game. The Oilers have no counter. They wasted their cap space on useless plugs like Benoit Pouliot. They could have signed actual useful players like Ribeiro for a third of the cap hit. With the worst management and coaching in the league, this team will finish below the Calgary Flames in the standings. Maybe next season the Oilers will magically be better with their new draft pick?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
This team will continue to get dominated by the West. The game plan against the Oilers is simple. Be as physical as possible against the Nuge line to shut them down and win the game. The Oilers have no counter. They wasted their cap space on useless plugs like Benoit Pouliot. They could have signed actual useful players like Ribeiro for a third of the cap hit. With the worst management and coaching in the league, this team will finish below the Calgary Flames in the standings. Maybe next season the Oilers will magically be better with their new draft pick?

How dare you insult Pouliot. He is #1 all time in the ratio of how good he looks by advanced stats vs how good he looks by normal stats.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
The predators are not the Oilers. Their defense is so much better than ours it's scary.

The Predators have 5 defensemen that are better than the Oilers best D. Let that sink in. They also have better goaltending and forwards than the Oilers. The Preds are playoff contenders and the Oilers are going to miss the playoffs for nine straight seasons.

lampshade*

This is a joke, Craig Smith is a very good player. They won because of how skilled of a goalie they have, how skilled a defense they have and how deep they are at forward. No superstars on the team but plenty of skill in Neal, Forsberg, Riberio, Cullen, Weber, Jones, Josi etc.

I'm aware of that. I meant superstar forwards.

Ok, kind of hard to decipher that from the quotes above.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
The Predators have 5 defensemen that are better than the Oilers best D. Let that sink in. They also have better goaltending and forwards than the Oilers. The Preds are playoff contenders and the Oilers are going to miss the playoffs for nine straight seasons.

BS...

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'll give the nod to the goalie and D men, the Oilers have better forwards. Unfortunately for us everything starts from the back end and ours is lacking.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Why is Hunt still here? That's one management move I just can't wrap my head around. There are much better options.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Why do you figure Ribeiro was coming in at such a low cap hit? Couldn't have anything to do with him being a head case and fired from his last position. The season is still young we'll see how things pan out for him but I don't think MacT needs to be ripped a new one for passing on this guy.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Not even close.

If you gave the Predators the Oilers forward group, it would be THE cup favourite.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Why is Hunt still here? That's one management move I just can't wrap my head around. There are much better options.

I suspect he is still the designated sitter with Klef playing well in OKC. I'm thinking Nikitin is pretty close otherwise they'd probably be calling Klef up.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Oilers were schooled last night. That game wasnt nearly as close as the score indicated. A veteran Preds team educated the younger Oilers team.

I have no doubt that it wont be the last time that happens this season.

That being said I think how they come out Saturday against the Canucks will speak volumes about how much this team has matured. Hopefully Nikitin plays in that game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why do you figure Ribeiro was coming in at such a low cap hit? Couldn't have anything to do with him being a head case and fired from his last position. The season is still young we'll see how things pan out for him but I don't think MacT needs to be ripped a new one for passing on this guy.

Cullen was also available in the summer too, no?

Lets be honest they picked Draisaitl with the intention of him filling the 2C spot from the get go.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
It isn't just picking up skill that allows teams to win. You criticize for MacT picking up Pouliot but that is precisely what this lineup needs. The only negative was his cap hit and getting players to come to Edmonton that is just reality. IMO we have seen bits and pieces of what this roster can do, I actually like the forward mix (outside of a genuine 2C). It is the backend that continues to be the problem, we don't have a top pairing dman. Petry plays with no sense of urgency, Schultz is a horrible point man on the PP and Hunt belongs no where near an NHL roster. Fayne is by far my favourite D man and even he needs to execute better. Ference and Nikitin could be average defenders on a better team but for us they don't stand out as positives. Why the coaches continue to roll with Schultz on the PP, we have probably created close to as many chances against as for on the PP. I would put actual dmen (Fayne, Petry and Nikitin) on the points and put Hall, Nuge and Yak up front. And PS Ribeiro would look like a hot mess on our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad