Oilers: Sink or swim...which will it be?

HometownHockey

Oilers: Sink or swim...which will it be?

130925_Oilers_L.jpg

With their season hanging in the balance, the Edmonton Oilers will kick-off a seven game homestand against the Vancouver Canucks on Friday night at Rexall Place. If by some chance, Dallas Eakins' squad cannot come out of this stretch will at minimum a .500 record, they can basically kiss this season good-bye and start preparing for another lottery pick at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

READ MORE, HometownHockey.ca...
http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/EDM0136.php

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
My god, HF's little crew of blog writers sure is all over the Oilers this week. We get it, we suck, you guys don't need to post 3 articles a day in our sub forum to remind us about it, our fans take care of that pretty good themselves.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
My god, HF's little crew of blog writers sure is all over the Oilers this week. We get it, we suck, you guys don't need to post 3 articles a day in our sub forum to remind us about it, our fans take care of that pretty good themselves.

sooooo I guess it's a bad time to say I'm launching my new oiler podcast called "Oil Spill" and its pretty much a rant about this team and what they need to do.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
sooooo I guess it's a bad time to say I'm launching my new oiler podcast called "Oil Spill" and its pretty much a rant about this team and what they need to do.

You're a regular forum member, and fan of the team. Fill your boots man. I'm just sick of these fans of other teams, or general hockey guys, just sticking it to us all over this board.

The Oilers thread on the main page would never be allowed to be like it is if it was about any other team, fans from other teams coming in here with there "coming in peace" bull, it's hard enough to be a fan of this team right now. I've been a fan of this team since 1985 and I've never been this pissed off, and this guys are not helping.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Honestly, I wouldn't give one of these guys a click on their page if they paid me to. They are just taking advantage of a rilled up fan base.

I know. If I bothered to click on it i'm sure there wouldn't be anything discussed that I couldn't find inside a GDT.

Wait until trade deadline time. Thats when the nonsense reaches its peak.

Like I said before, if you want to do this kind of stuff... don't start a blog. There are more blogs about the Oilers than you can shake a stick at around here. If you want to stand out do something different. However, please stop polluting these forums with your vanilla uninformative articles.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You're a regular forum member, and fan of the team. Fill your boots man. I'm just sick of these fans of other teams, or general hockey guys, just sticking it to us all over this board.

The Oilers thread on the main page would never be allowed to be like it is if it was about any other team, fans from other teams coming in here with there "coming in peace" bull, it's hard enough to be a fan of this team right now. I've been a fan of this team since 1985 and I've never been this pissed off, and this guys are not helping.

I could never understand the fascination of going to the mainboards. Its simply troll city at this point and pretty much designed to be a source of irritation. One reason I prefer a moderated board is other teams fans can't come in here and troll. So by never wading into the main board I experience none of what is upsetting you.

just stay away. Its a battle not worth fighting and that goes nowhere. One could say the same thing about some of the discussions here but at least we have the commonality of being fans of the same team.

have a good day and this team will play better than whats been showed in these first games. Not playoffs but I expect a club that will have much better results.

Things are rarely as good, or bad, as they seem.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The funniest thing is you wouldn't have to look back far to see some of the same writers saying good things about the Eakins hire and such. Even in the offseason some of these same reads were blowing positivity up me arse.

Its a little harder to take these opinions seriously when they are in constant flux and all over the map.

tbh I didn't even read the link though as I don't want to reinforce the hits.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I could never understand the fascination of going to the mainboards. Its simply troll city at this point and pretty much designed to be a source of irritation. One reason I prefer a moderated board is other teams fans can't come in here and troll. So by never wading into the main board I experience none of what is upsetting you.

just stay away. Its a battle not worth fighting and that goes nowhere. One could say the same thing about some of the discussions here but at least we have the commonality of being fans of the same team.

have a good day and this team will play better than whats been showed in these first games. Not playoffs but I expect a club that will have much better results.

Things are rarely as good, or bad, as they seem.

Haha. Holy Role Reversal Batman! Usually it's you that's acting pessimistic, and me trying to cheer you up. Strange happenings in Oiler land this year my friend.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
yeah it's rough. Honestly though, if this keeps happening, then I end up just tuning out and not caring, so it won't matter what other fans say about the oilers because I won't care enough to defend them.

Apathy is a scary thing, I'm a very passionate oilers fan, but the past couple of years have beaten me down to the point where I can tune out easily.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Haha. Holy Role Reversal Batman! Usually it's you that's acting pessimistic, and me trying to cheer you up. Strange happenings in Oiler land this year my friend.

Thanks.

You'll notice it a lot from me. I tend not to get too high or too low with this team. I can bring bombast sure, but I rarely if ever advocate things like "blow it up real good' or firing off of useful players.

I don't get real swayed by false hopes that this club was gonna make the playoffs, but I don't think they are going to be close to worse this year either.

For some reason Eakins has employed Swarm version 2. I guess he's enough of a slow learner to try that again. He abandoned it last year. Why resurrect it? :rant:

We have some player ingredients on this team. I wasn't even sold on the offseason moves, but this club is better than these results have shown. Stay the course with the players, that's our only play. Teams would pick our bones now if we started a firesale.

Boot Eakins asap. The one thing I'm resolute on. The players need and require that much. Its quite clear Eakins isn't being effective in his role. Players will always say the right thing but you would see this team play a lot differently under a competent coach with lucid schemes.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Thanks.

You'll notice it a lot from me. I tend not to get too high or too low with this team. I can bring bombast sure, but I rarely if ever advocate things like "blow it up real good' or firing off of useful players.

I don't get real swayed by false hopes that this club was gonna make the playoffs, but I don't think they are going to be close to worse this year either.

For some reason Eakins has employed Swarm version 2. I guess he's enough of a slow learner to try that again. He abandoned it last year. Why resurrect it? :rant:

We have some player ingredients on this team. I wasn't even sold on the offseason moves, but this club is better than these results have shown. Stay the course with the players, that's our only play. Teams would pick our bones now if we started a firesale.

Boot Eakins asap. The one thing I'm resolute on.

Yup, I totally agree. I've coached teams of 7 and 8 year olds who seem to be more coordinated than what Eakins has this team. I honestly think we need a disciplinarian for a year or 2. A Mike Keenan type.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Yup, I totally agree. I've coached teams of 7 and 8 year olds who seem to be more coordinated than what Eakins has this team. I honestly think we need a disciplinarian for a year or 2. A Mike Keenan type.

I think so too. Problem is the only guy out there right now is John Tortarella. You could go get Dan Bylsma, but he isn't exactly a hard ass coach.

Michel Terrian is another one I would of liked. Oh and Lindy Ruff hahaha, who ironically was available when MacT was looking for a coach....

Lindy Ruff and Jim Nill could of been ours, think of that for a second, another monumental mistake

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I resisted this line of thinking for awhile in favor of a good systems coach but I've seen enough to believe that theres some prats on this team that require some discipline from an NHL stalwart. Has to be somebody that would win the power battle though and would have backing.

Funny thing is the org kind of suggested or thought Eakins could be that guy. lolol

Yeah, some AHL lightweight is going to win a battle with contractually made young players that make 30 times what Eakins likely makes. Essentially I think passive resistance has gone on here with the go to set. With it even being more obvious than that on occasion.

Also I think the team is TRYING to rid itself of swarm. I want to believe that our go to players are not stupid enough to ever swarm 4 players to one area in earnest. Looking at it its like they're either coach, or system killing right now by not employing. just my take.

This not to be confused with defense of the system either, its nuts anyway as the players recognize. They're half assing it at best.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I resisted this line of thinking for awhile in favor of a good systems coach but I've seen enough to believe that theres some prats on this team that require some discipline from an NHL stalwart. Has to be somebody that would win the power battle though and would have backing.

Funny thing is the org kind of suggested or thought Eakins could be that guy. lolol

Yeah, some AHL lightweight is going to win a battle with contractually made young players that make 30 times what Eakins likely makes. Essentially I think passive resistance has gone on here with the go to set. With it even being more obvious than that on occasion.

Also I think the team is TRYING to rid itself of swarm. I want to believe that our go to players are not stupid enough to ever swarm 4 players to one area in earnest. Looking at it its like they're either coach, or system killing right now by not employing. just my take.

This not to be confused with defense of the system either, its nuts anyway as the players recognize. They're half assing it at best.

It's not even the swarm that bothers me so much as the bloody diamond on the PK. That system was proved ineffective 25 years ago. Any team that has at least 2 decent passers on the powerplay can have a diamond broken down in 3 or 4 passes and have players scrambling to catch up. There is a reason why 30 of 31 teams use the box.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This is all good, the more bashing this team takes the better. It has only taken the national media and some local bloggers two years or more longer to get it than most.

The more the story of the train wreck this team gets out the better.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I wonder how many post game threads in Hfboards he read before writing this.

What ever happened to writing hockey articles that everyone else hasn't covered?

I had a two hour discussion over the phone on this topic the day before yesterday.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

I enjoy the articles please by all means keep it coming. If all for any form of print media bashing this organization.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I get why the Oilers fans are upset to have to be reminded about their teams performance, but objectively, the Oilers are the story in the NHL right now. People love drama. And since the Oilers draws an audience (as opposed to Florida), why wouldn't people be writing about this year's most dramatic team?

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB

No doubt. I'm depressed as it is about this team. It just feels like a kick in the teeth for these people who aren't even Oiler fans to shove it in our faces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad