TSN: Oilers sign UDFA Colin Larkin

North

Jun 25, 2009
Possibly not, but if Chia goes out and sign 8 or 9 career AHLers to NHL deals on July 1st again, it does matter. It's unbelievable that this team was so close to the 50-man limit while not having a single viable option to bring up from the minors, particularly at forward. Just imagine if we had actually injury issues this year rather than the imaginary issues people try to blame this season on. Imagine 30 games of Rattie, Malone, Currie or Laleggia. We'd definitely be in the run for a top 5 pick even without winning the lottery.

If he does that again than there is reason to complain...about those signings.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If he does that again than there is reason to complain...about those signings.

Fair enough. But this guy is as old as some of those signings and has accomplished even less so far.

Ultimately, I don't care about this single signing, but Chiarelli has been shopping down the wrong aisles going on close to two years now. I don't see this as a sign that he is changing that trend. This is akin to drafting a BCHLer with mediocre stats in the 2nd or 3rd round. In a perfect world you may get a Jujhar, but more likely than not you just wasted a pick.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
His rookie season he played almost exclusively wing with Zetterberg. The past 2 seasons he's been centering the 2nd line.

OK, thanks for the insight. That would explain a bit why his numbers have stagnated somewhat compared to that big rookie season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Fair enough. But this guy is as old as some of those signings and has accomplished even less so far.

Ultimately, I don't care about this single signing, but Chiarelli has been shopping down the wrong aisles going on close to two years now. I don't see this as a sign that he is changing that trend. This is akin to drafting a BCHLer with mediocre stats in the 2nd or 3rd round. In a perfect world you may get a Jujhar, but more likely than not you just wasted a pick.

But we did get Jujhar so what if this guy is another exception?

RJP

Mar 5, 2018
Speaking of all things Larkin, what happened to Dylan? He seems to have stalled somewhat, only 9 goals in 65 games compared to 23 goals in his rookie year. It seems like he's stagnated a bit after a hot start to his NHL career.

You don't suppose Detroit *gasp* RUSHED HIS DEVELOPMENT?? *MINOR KEY* lol

Perhaps they should've followed their own "over-ripen" advice in this case, he might be a better player for it now.

Just an FYI, Dylan has only scored 9 goals but has 49 points in 66 games. He’s working hard this year as 2nd line center, not wing, where Detroit wants him to be more of a play maker. Please post complete stats if you’re going to post them otherwise you’re just scewing the information to make what point??? Detroit plans for Larkin to be a captain, he needed no further time in the AHL.

RJP

Mar 5, 2018
...And Colin Larkin is a fast skater just like his brother!

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Ok turn off the lights, close the thread with the addition of this College tweener Oilers are now the fastest team in the league. Chiarelli comes through !!

Reactions: CycloneSweep

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
But we did get Jujhar so what if this guy is another exception?

Khaira played in the NCAA (a Division I school) as an 18 year old, in the WHL as a 19 year old, and now he is in the NHL and is a year younger than Larkin. I don't see a Khaira comparison. I'm not against this signing, I just find it odd.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Khaira played in the NCAA (a Division I school) as an 18 year old, in the WHL as a 19 year old, and now he is in the NHL and is a year younger than Larkin. I don't see a Khaira comparison. I'm not against this signing, I just find it odd.

I was just responding to the person who brought him up. I'm not sure why they did. Maybe because Khaira wasn't prolific scorer. I don't know.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not going to get over that are you.
Why would I. We literally had a scout watching a college league that's 2 leagues below standard college level and signed him to a 1 year NHL contract. Guy will be lucky to break into the echl

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
apparently we're going to have a lot of contract spots open up so I guess it's okay to have a two way deal. Maybe it was the incentive we needed to get him, and maybe it will inspire him to have a monster off-season, maybe with his bro

North

Jun 25, 2009
Why would I. We literally had a scout watching a college league that's 2 leagues below standard college level and signed him to a 1 year NHL contract. Guy will be lucky to break into the echl

Just seems like a lot of anger over one contract spot when there are so many going to be opening up. It's also clear they aren't just randomly signing div 3 players to NHL contracts or else they would have signed Logan Day to one.

Colin Larkin has enough going for him they were willing to take a one year risk. It's not the end of the world.

Reactions: StrBender

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Just seems like a lot of anger over one contract spot when there are so many going to be opening up. It's also clear they aren't just randomly signing div 3 players to NHL contracts or else they would have signed Logan Day to one.

Colin Larkin has enough going for him they were willing to take a one year risk. It's not the end of the world.
The only thing he has going for him is that he is too good for a bad league, he probably wouldn't cut it in Div 1 as it's a much higher quality league. And that he has name recognition.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The only thing he has going for him is that he is too good for a bad league, he probably wouldn't cut it in Div 1 as it's a much higher quality league. And that he has name recognition.

It's one year and it's minimal risk. If he turns out great, if not, maybe he helps in the AHL where we also need help.

He could be found money.

I'm not convinced he'll be something, but I'm willing to wait and see.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's one year and it's minimal risk. If he turns out great, if not, maybe he helps in the AHL where we also need help.

He could be found money.

I'm not convinced he'll be something, but I'm willing to wait and see.

Him turning out would be helping in the AHL. Much better chance he can't hack it in the AHL than he even gets a cup of coffee in the NHL.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Him turning out would be helping in the AHL. Much better chance he can't hack it in the AHL than he even gets a cup of coffee in the NHL.

But we don't know that is all I'm saying.

Sure previous evidence in terms of other players would indicate that there isn't much hope for him, but what if he is the exception?

Here's the question I have: say he actually does turn out to be a useful NHL player and the Oilers missed out on signing him because they didn't offer an NHL deal. How many people would be railing at management for not signing him?

At the end of the day, he has a one year deal to show what he can do. If it turns out he isn't much then no harm, no foul.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well this isn’t entirely accurate. Division II isn’t really a thing, except for one conference.
He didn't know that.

And he also doesn't know how long our 'scout' had their eye on this guy.

Long ball college signing. Pretty much all of them are. The vast majority are pretty forgettable.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
People have mentioned the 50 contract limit as something to be concerned about for at least the past 15 years on this forum. Is it ever really a real world problem worth worrying about as a fan? Contract spots seem easy enough to arrange if needed.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I was just responding to the person who brought him up. I'm not sure why they did. Maybe because Khaira wasn't prolific scorer. I don't know.

My bad. I remembered him being more of a tweener BCHL prospect at the time of his draft, and couldn’t think of some of the names from the numerous times the Oilers have gone for a stroll in the BCHL and went off board in a draft selection.

All in all I’m not so against the signing. It just concerns me as it continues his trend of strolling through an even lower tier to find guys to fill higher spots (ala the numerous career AHLers last July 1, when we needed guys who could realistically threaten to play a real role in the NHL). I’ll be happy to be proven wrong, but I’m having a hard time believing this move has much hope bearing fruit.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad