Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Noah Philp of the UofA Golden Bears (Update: coming out of retirement)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I cant understand. I mean, I dont know his personal circumstances so I cant judge too harshly, but its crazy to pass up a chance at accumulating generational wealth for your family in just a couple of short years of work. And playing a game as a profession. He had enough potential to justify sticking it out at least 1 more year to see if the big ticket materialized (i can understand not grinding it out riding busses for the next 15 years on a wing and a prayer but still having an NHL shot and at worst a chance at a solid european payday is kind of a bummer to pass up). Must be serious health concerns for someone close to him, or himself. Sad news, love to root for guys like him. Hope he doesnt come to regret it.

It’s hard to know what’s going on behind the scenes too. I know nothing of Philp’s private life but I do know a guy in not too different of a situation who retired “early” coming off a career year because his financial opportunity he had was much better away from hockey.

At the end of the day, he’s still young and if he decides within the next year that he made a mistake, he can still return without being set too far back.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I cant understand. I mean, I dont know his personal circumstances so I cant judge too harshly, but its crazy to pass up a chance at accumulating generational wealth for your family in just a couple of short years of work. And playing a game as a profession. He had enough potential to justify sticking it out at least 1 more year to see if the big ticket materialized (i can understand not grinding it out riding busses for the next 15 years on a wing and a prayer but still having an NHL shot and at worst a chance at a solid european payday is kind of a bummer to pass up). Must be serious health concerns for someone close to him, or himself. Sad news, love to root for guys like him. Hope he doesnt come to regret it.
You are making a big leap that he was going to be an NHLer for years. He is 24 and at the cross roads if life. He was pretty far down the oilers depth chart. While some sang his praises, others still questioned his skating and wondered if it was up to the NHL level. He was never going to be a top 6 forward based upon the scouting reports I have read. He looked to be a tweener and a guy who's career would look like a road map of stops. Players sacrifice a lot of things and not all of them are worth it

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You are making a big leap that he was going to be an NHLer for years. He is 24 and at the cross roads if life. He was pretty far down the oilers depth chart. While some sang his praises, others still questioned his skating and wondered if it was up to the NHL level. He was never going to be a top 6 forward based upon the scouting reports I have read. He looked to be a tweener and a guy who's career would look like a road map of stops. Players sacrifice a lot of things and not all of them are worth it
Also making an assumption his family wasn't already insanely wealthy.

Most hockey families are.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
And when he has less financial stability in the future because of it he may regret his decision is my point. Falling into a career where you get to make that type of money and you aren't forced to go overseas for it is a tough pill to swallow to walk away from looking from the outside.

Tell that to all the Joe's who get no vacation or sick time and have to work 10 plus hours a day to crack 50 k a year.
I disagree.

Given that the average NHL career is less than 5 years in length, I suspect he won’t regret this decision when he is 45 and is making a decent wage as a professional with a U degree.

Not for me to judge. I wish him well.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I disagree.

Given that the average NHL career is less than 5 years in length, I suspect he won’t regret this decision when he is 45 and is making a decent wage as a professional with a U degree.

factor in his age and that he just turned pro. That would cut down the numbers for his career.

Reactions: brentashton

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I wish him the best, he gave it and decided it wasn’t for him to continue. If I was him I probably would have gave it another year to have maybe a better vision of his career as an athlete. But I’m not him, and as other have said he’s not getting any younger.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
And when he has less financial stability in the future because of it he may regret his decision is my point. Falling into a career where you get to make that type of money and you aren't forced to go overseas for it is a tough pill to swallow to walk away from looking from the outside.
It's entirely possible that he'll have better long term financially stability if he pivots into a different career track rather than remaining in the AHL too, though. I'm not even sure what he got paid this past season as it was at least originally an "amateur tryout contract."

It's very weird to see people suggest this was a bad decision for him, as though he probably hasn't factored in his own personal chances of making the NHL and weighed the pros and cons of a decision like this.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's entirely possible that he'll have better long term financially stability if he pivots into a different career track rather than remaining in the AHL too, though. I'm not even sure what he got paid this past season as it was at least originally an "amateur tryout contract."

It's very weird to see people suggest this was a bad decision for him, as though he probably hasn't factored in his own personal chances of making the NHL and weighed the pros and cons of a decision like this.
Yep. I believe some of these guys only make 50-60k in the minors. The Oilers signed him out of university, so it's very possible he's got some career options in front of him. The chance of him making the NHL full-time was very small and it likely had him targeting a role that would be very taxing on his body.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Yep. I believe some of these guys only make 50-60k in the minors. The Oilers signed him out of university, so it's very possible he's got some career options in front of him. The chance of him making the NHL full-time was very small and it likely had him targeting a role that would be very taxing on his body.
His salary was 80k as a first year 23 year old not alot of 23 years makig that much coin without working 70 hour weeks. Yeah yeah I get it money isnt everything but sure helps ease your burdens I'd bet anything though when he starts struggling financially down the line he's gonna kick himself for not sacrificing a few years of his twenties to build a nest egg for himsel and his family.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You can't be successful in hockey even in AHL or lower rungs if you don't love it. If you stop loving a sport you stop having any capacity to improve in it. So that quitting is then the right thing to do if you now hate playing. Even first picks in the NHL have gone on to retire. For the reasons I stated they just stopped liking the game.

hasn't anybody ever had that experience. You just stop liking something? I stopped liking my job. Fortunately that was around the time of retirement anyway. Something that i had loved for decades I had learned to despise. There was no going back. If I wanted to go back to fulltime work it would have to be something else. People have their reasons. Just with them luck.

A lot of athletes continue with a sport just further to scholarship and getting what they need from it. Then they just stop playing and pursuing it. Not saying its the case here but is for a lot of athletes across all disciplines.
I have to disagree.

Every league is full of people that don't like the sport they are playing and only in it because it of the paycheque or it's all they are good at. The NBA is notable for having players hate basketball, but because they are tall there were funneled into the sport at a young age. I imagine hockey is no different. Everyone has different motivations.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Tell that to all the Joe's who get no vacation or sick time and have to work 10 plus hours a day to crack 50 k a year.
I probably shouldn't put this out there but

when my dad died I inherited a lot of money ( like a decade ++ of my usual salary) and a house. Sure I have some nicer things now and no debt, but most of my issues are still there (health, anxiety etc) Money helps, but it isn't everything.

Speculating on Kemps situation does nothing but make the people doing it look bad. He has his reasons and he owes nothing to anyone.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

$92.5k signing bonus and an $80k salary, so he did pretty well.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
WTF I sort of feel like I believed in him more than he did lol

He was playing for the oilers soon imo. He was the top center in Bako. Walked in and took everyone's job. Great loss to the franchise but he's got to do what he feel is best.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Maybe he wanted to do something else with his life, and also sounds like personal circumstances changed. Maybe just doesn't love hockey, compared to next stage of his life?

If I was him I would think about likely financial situation moving forward... 80k in the minors for the next 10 years is actually not that great, as when he is done he would need to start a second career and basically be at square 1. Not sure what his degree is, but he could potentially make that now, and grow into a new career.

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
You can't be successful in hockey even in AHL or lower rungs if you don't love it. If you stop loving a sport you stop having any capacity to improve in it. So that quitting is then the right thing to do if you now hate playing. Even first picks in the NHL have gone on to retire. For the reasons I stated they just stopped liking the game.

hasn't anybody ever had that experience. You just stop liking something? I stopped liking my job. Fortunately that was around the time of retirement anyway. Something that i had loved for decades I had learned to despise. There was no going back. If I wanted to go back to fulltime work it would have to be something else. People have their reasons. Just with them luck.

A lot of athletes continue with a sport just further to scholarship and getting what they need from it. Then they just stop playing and pursuing it. Not saying its the case here but is for a lot of athletes across all disciplines.

I agree you have to love the sport you play to continue to be competitive in it. I was a very good golfer in high school, I basically could have gotten a full ride scholarship at any university I wanted. My senior year I quit, I got really burned out having to be at the diving range/course every day after school for at minimum three hours. It just got really boring to me and I didn't have the desire to continue. Everybody else thought I was crazy to give that up, but I never regretted my decision. I'm 37 now and I can count on one hand the number of times I've swung a golf club since then.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
WTF I sort of feel like I believed in him more than he did lol

He was playing for the oilers soon imo. He was the top center in Bako. Walked in and took everyone's job. Great loss to the franchise but he's got to do what he feel is best.
This is how I feel about the situation. I feel like he's not far away and he's the type the Oilers need right now

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I raised a kid in hockey who made it to Junior A and then said screw it, I want to come home and go to university instead... Hockey at the highest levels takes a physical and emotional toll.

Just things we know up front. From the ages of 17-20, Philp left home to live with some strangers to play in the WHL. Through the covid years lived in Edmonton to go to U of A. Played a year in California. Kid hasn't been around friends and family for 7 years. Maybe having a normal life appeals to him.

All the power to him.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
He’s 24, he can make up his own mind. Hard to leave 10000 people cheering for you. But of course there’s the other times when 10000 people are booing….

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I disagree.

In 5 years earning dirt money of 800kto 900k a year ala Ryan you have made 4 times most people total career earnings.

He has his reason for stepping away but you never get back that type of earning even for a short period.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In 5 years earning dirt money of 800kto 900k a year ala Ryan you have made 4 times most people total career earnings.

He has his reason for stepping away but you never get back that type of earning even for a short period.
That's if he actually made it to the NHL. There is also the risk he plays in the AHL for 5 years and he ends up with a concussion issue that lingers the rest of his life.

Reactions: Pucklington

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's also possible that he's pretty smart and got good grades or something and a 200k+ salary is in the cards for him. If you consider that his family is probably pretty wealthy, it's not totally out there for him to give up a hockey career if he doesn't enjoy it.

I doubt he considers this move if he's going to be in debt/toiling away at a 50k a year job lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad