Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Mike Smith to 1-Year Deal ($2M)

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I find it odd how everyone is okay with Kosko but seems to be up in Arms over bringing back Smith. They were pretty much equal all year, cept Smith looked to be ale to make the better reaction saves but also made those stupid puck control blunders. The tandem worked last year... it was average enough to not hurt us.... so we get the same this year and have money to spend in other areas of which we did with some great other signings .
.902 sv% vs .917sv% arent even close to equal. One is bottom of the leagueish while the other is top 4th in the league.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
.902 sv% vs .917sv% arent even close to equal. One is bottom of the leagueish while the other is top 4th in the league.
There is an argument that Smith contributes to victories with his puck handling, which doesnt show up in those goalie stats. What supports it is that Koski and Smith have a similar amount of winning games

Edit: personally I see the point of it but it doesnt make up for the difference in goalie stats. To Smith's credit, his goalie stats aren't horrible though. He's not in the .880s

Reactions: CanmoreMike

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Since this is a one year and if he atrociously sucks what are the cap implications of a buyout?

I do wonder if a promise has been made behind doors interms of retirement for Smith if he's just not cutting it like Marty Biron.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Since this is a one year and if he atrociously sucks what are the cap implications of a buyout?

I do wonder if a promise has been made behind doors interms of retirement for Smith if he's just not cutting it like Marty Biron.

You bury the contract in the AHL and it saves 1M.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I mean Holland went out of his way virtually to sign a goalie that wasn’t Smith, only came back to Smith when he had virtually no other options and limited cap. Outside of a Vezina Calibre season Smith knows this is likely his last year, hopefully he gives it all he has left in his tank, but I think come mid-year whenever that is people will be cursing Holland and wishing he was jetted into the sun again.

Tippett needs to handle the goalies properly. Koskinen needs a bigger workload IMO.

space321

May 11, 2011
There is an argument that Smith contributes to victories with his puck handling, which doesnt show up in those goalie stats. What supports it is that Koski and Smith have a similar amount of winning games

Edit: personally I see the point of it but it doesnt make up for the difference in goalie stats. To Smith's credit, his goalie stats aren't horrible though. He's not in the .880s

There is also an argument Smith loses just as many games with his poor puck handling. Such as game 1 of the playoffs. There definitely instances in the regular season too but I don't remember the exact games.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You can’t buy him out. But he would probably retire or not report to the AHL if he got waived.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There is also an argument Smith loses just as many games with his poor puck handling. Such as game 1 of the playoffs. There definitely instances in the regular season too but I don't remember the exact games.
Total wins would account for that, and explains his lower save percentage. Meanwhile there are no real stats to monitor the positive impact

space321

May 11, 2011
Total wins would account for that, and explains his lower save percentage. Meanwhile there are no real stats to monitor the positive impact

Total wins would account for the positive impact then... if there were any. Spoiler alert, there isn't.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Why would we buy him out? He only has 1 year on his contract. Worst case scenario, we put him in the AHL and he retires. I no issues with Smith. Both him and Koskinen did bring us 9th overall in the standings. So I'm willing to give them another shot.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Total wins would account for the positive impact then... if there were any. Spoiler alert, there isn't.
Well if a goalie is a lot worse in goalie stats but the team still wins the game, doesnt that get you wondering?

Now I'm not so pro Smith that I think he's as good as Koskinen, and I know that total wins is a team stat so it's a bit of a stretch to attribute it to Smith, but I'm just saying it's possible.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

It seemed like Smith got a lot more goal support then Koskinen last year.

Also I’d say that while his abilities playing the puck can help, he was way to liberal with last season and it was more of a detriment. They will need him to pick his spots better this year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

It seemed like Smith got a lot more goal support then Koskinen last year.

Also I’d say that while his abilities playing the puck can help, he was way to liberal with last season and it was more of a detriment. They will need him to pick his spots better this year.

Whether it's because of Smith's puck moving or not it is very safe to say Smith got waaaaaaaaaaaaay more run support than Koskinen.

I never understand why it is this way but it seems to happen often. One goalie gets way more run support. I remember when we had Khabibulin we would lose 1-0 or 2-1 often but win barn burners without.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad