Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign G Nick Ellis

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
http://oilersnation.com/2016/4/7/oielrs-sign-undrafted-college-goalie-nick-ellis

Ellis spent three seasons with Providence, with his first two years in a backup role to 6'6" Calgary Flames prospect Jon Gillies. Gillies graduated to the AHL this season, while allowed Ellis to take over the starting role; he seems to have thrived with the increased responsibility:

2013-14: 7 games, 3-2-1 record, 0.904 save percentage
2014-15: 5 games, 2-0-0 record, 0.910 save percentage
2015-16: 36 games, 25-7-4 record, 0.936 save percentage
Not only does Ellis' 0.936 save percentage represent a personal best, it's also slightly better than the numbers Gillies put up in his three campaigns as starter (0.931, 0.931 and 0.930, respectively).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He could challenge Broissoit for the NHL backup role next season but most likely a AHL starter I would imagine - Perfect signing really.

I think Chia gets another goalie to challenge LB for backup position..

LB is clearly not ready and this guy probably needs some time in AHL\ECHL.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ranked 5th best NCAA free agent for 2016. Better stats than Gillies last 3 years on same team

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'd imagine he starts next season in Norfolk and then joins Bakersfield either once injuries hit or LB gets the call to Edmonton. Good signing though, definitely needed more depth at the position.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd imagine he starts next season in Norfolk and then joins Bakersfield either once injuries hit or LB gets the call to Edmonton. Good signing though, definitely needed more depth at the position.

That should depend on Eetu's play and Ellis' as well.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Ideally you have Ellis and Laurikainen battle it out for the Bakersfield back-up position.

Lundstrom might be too good for the ECHL/not good enough for the AHL, I could see him signing in Sweden.

Brossoit starts in Bakersfield.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It's a little worrying to see that Ellis' backup, Hayden Hawkey, put up slightly better numbers (albeit in only 5 games). These goaltenders are often impossible to judge via stats because they tend to play for stronger teams who don't give up a lot of shots or goals.

For comparison, Matt O'Connor was the big prize last year after putting up great numbers for Boston University and he ended up posting a .892SV% in the AHL. At the same time, this is a free asset so there's zero risk involved and if he turns out to be a decent goaltender, we add to our depth for essentially nothing.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
That should depend on Eetu's play and Ellis' as well.

I think Eetu's play since returning from Finland mid season should be enough to pencil him in as the backup in Bakersfield to start next season. Obviously Ellis' play could change that, but I think you have to plan to have him start in Norfolk.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Signing goalies is the way to go. I wouldn't bother with drafting one.

Bingo. Unless there is a clear BPA in a later round. If this guy is willingly to play in ECHL next year and back up in AHL the year after we are basically good for goalie prospects for 4 years

Assuming he goes ECHL starter to AHL back up to AHL starter to NHL back up (if he earns in). If any of the falter, just sign a new UFA goalie from NCAA or Europe and repeat

Most goalie picks are a waste. Oilers have drafted 6 goalies in past years and all flamed out or are about to (Bunz, Roy, Tuohimma, Perhoen, Bouchard, Nagelvoort). Our best goalie prospects were traded for and signed

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
It's a little worrying to see that Ellis' backup, Hayden Hawkey, put up slightly better numbers (albeit in only 5 games). These goaltenders are often impossible to judge via stats because they tend to play for stronger teams who don't give up a lot of shots or goals.

For comparison, Matt O'Connor was the big prize last year after putting up great numbers for Boston University and he ended up posting a .892SV% in the AHL. At the same time, this is a free asset so there's zero risk involved and if he turns out to be a decent goaltender, we add to our depth for essentially nothing.

he also got tommy salo'd in a nationally broadcast game lol hes wrecked

*its ajoke but the first part is true

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Replaces Rimmer and Lundstorm as they likely don't get qualified. Though I could see one of them getting a minor league contract to stay on as the #5/6 man on the organisational depth chart)

Talbot
______

Brossoit
Laurainen

Ellis
Rimmer

Similar to this year, but an extra year of experience for both Talbot and Brossoit who are the key names there.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Depth is never a bad thing. This gives us a backup for Bako if LB makes the lineup next year. We can't run into the same situation as this year, where we don't have goaltending in the A, and have the team choke

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd still prefer to leave LB in the minors for another year. Sign a legitimate NHL backup for next year.

Agreed. LB's confidence has to have taken a hit playing behind our ass defence. Sign Chad Johnson for a year. Good numbers on some pretty bad teams.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
TgmNwQp.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad