News Article: Oilers Should Be Prevented from Drafting First Again

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Lol. I gotta say I still think the best solution to all this is no lottery, but you can't pick top 3 or 5 back to back, or something along those lines. Then you wouldn't have teams tanking multiple years in a row. You also wouldn't have teams who legitimately suck missing a top player they need because they're unlucky, or a team who sucks so bad they get a top pick every year because of their incompetence.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The Edmonton Oilers are once again battling for last place which would give them the greatest odds of winning this season’s lottery and thereby selecting Auston Matthews.

This is an atrocity.
Yes it is and the NHL is a ****ing joke if they let it happen again.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't think it will be an issue. The Oilers aren't as bad as their record and McJesus will carry them whether they like it or not.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It'd be so easy to just say that winning 1OA one year precludes you from winning it the next, no matter what.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't know, tanking is pretty gimmicky.

You can't stop it. If people want to prevent a team from getting #1 OA STILL after all the changes I can't think of any better evidence that you can't stop it.

Hell if you had 1-30 the Oilers would have had less #1's. Go figure.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You can make it less tempting. Having the top 3 or 5 picks drawn for with some sort of eligibility limiter is easy enough to implement and accomplishes that. The crime is that it wasn't done sooner.

1-30 only works in leagues where there is intense pressure to win (NFL) or little care for true parity (MLB).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Some team will inevitably get screwed over after being legitimately bad and getting slammed by injuries. No thanks.

Tanking isn't hurting anybody except fans of the teams doing it without a real plan for roster construction to go with it. They should vote with their wallets.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Some team will inevitably get screwed over after being legitimately bad and getting slammed by injuries. No thanks.

Tanking isn't hurting anybody except fans of the teams doing it without a real plan for roster construction to go with it. They should vote with their wallets.

I agree. However, it could be an easy, quick (and necessary) correction to simply state a team cannot win the lottery 2 consecutive years. It is one thing to be bad. The draft is meant in part to help fix that. Worst team potentially gets the best player. It is another thing to be lucky.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I don't think it will be an issue. The Oilers aren't as bad as their record and McJesus will carry them whether they like it or not.

They sucked with him, they will suck with him again.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I agree. However, it could be an easy, quick (and necessary) correction to simply state a team cannot win the lottery 2 consecutive years. It is one thing to be bad. The draft is meant in part to help fix that. Worst team potentially gets the best player. It is another thing to be lucky.

Precisely why I think you remove the lottery and just make it impossible to pick top 3 b2b.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Edmonton is home to the largest shopping mall in NA. Has a submarine, roller coaster, skating rink, and Imax theatre.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Malls are slowly becoming a thing of the past thanks to something known as online shopping. It doesn't help matters for Edmonton either that more people from there would rather live in Arizona than people from Arizona want to live in Edmonton.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Edmonton is home to the largest shopping mall in NA. Has a submarine, roller coaster, skating rink, and Imax theatre.

When your crowning achievement is a giant mall everyone seeks shelter from the winter in...

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
Edmonton is mostly known as a cold as balls place, the place Gretzky played for a long time, and winning 4/6 draft lotteries.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Untether the minor leagues from the affiliation system and bring back relegation. Edmonton won't tank when they have to worry about getting bumped into the AHL by the Hartford Wolfpack.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Untether the minor leagues from the affiliation system and bring back relegation. Edmonton won't tank when they have to worry about getting bumped into the AHL by the Hartford Wolfpack.

So the Springfield Falcons are going to compete against 70 million dollars worth of Blackhawks or Rangers?

They have a sport for that. Hockey isn't it.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
So the Springfield Falcons are going to compete against 70 million dollars worth of Blackhawks or Rangers?

They have a sport for that. Hockey isn't it.

Well, yeah. It's more important/relevant as a punishment for underperforming teams than as a reward for overperforming AHL teams. Ideally there's some mechanism in place to help promoted teams get up to speed with the rest of the league, though (like a dispersal draft, preference for loaned players, robust revenue sharing, etc.) but that's something that can be worked out after the Oilers lose their relegation playoff to Hershey!

Basically, I'm just not into all these weird attempts to gimmick up the lottery. They tried it and it still didn't work. Either do a straight 1-30 or overhaul the entire structure of the sport if one is serious about eliminating chronic/deliberate losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad