News and Blog Report: Oilers Rookie and Main Camp rosters announced

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Very impressed with:

McDavid - looking great in the games in he's played in
Draisaitl - showing his a physical force
Perlini - Great dark horse candidate and has over shadowed and out worked Benson
Smith - Whats gamer, nearing 40 and showing he can still bring it
Kosko - Great looking in the preseason, if he holds this level on play into the season he has a great redemption arc coming his way
Keith - Hasn't looked out of place, but you can tell he is still getting into game shape after only 2 games
Nurse - what a beauty
Turris - Improved from last year

Biggest disapointments

Benson - Supposed to be his year to make the team and has shown nothing indicating he can take the next step
Yammo - looking like hot garbage seems to be disinterested, not a good look after the new contract

everyone else is just meh.

All in all a good camp and pre season. Excited for the season we have some depth and real gamers on the team. Hopefully good things are coming.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
The recency bias here on Yamamoto is hilarious

He seemed to have a great camp, had a good first game, and played really well on a line with Hyman and Ryan.

Like I understand saying that his offensive output is disappointing, but how the hell does he look "disinterested"?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Those who are about to lose their minds over preseason practise lines please post here : Calgary Flames

:nod:

I love that Tippett is utilizing pre-season to work on leveraging his top six versatility and building some reps and hopeful chemistry which can be deployed in-season. Keep McDavid/Draisaitl sharp as a lethal pairing and build some reps for Hyman/Nugent Hopkins to slip into a competent second line pairing. Only quibble I might have would be to try Puljujarvi with Hyman and Nugent Hopkins to help bring size and finishing ability. Try Yamamoto's tenacious puck pursuit with McDavid Draisaitl who have enough size and McDavid's insane slashing penetration game to break down defences.

This team's top six versatility with smart players who think the game well and can move around the line-up to create favourable in-game situational match ups can be a very good competitive advantage, imo.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
$5 says top 6 is the same opening night ;)

It wouldn't shock me at all. If Hyman/RNH/Yams can be a plus line, that 1st line (playing 15-16 mins ES/night) will absolutely *steam roll* other teams. If the second line has a xGF 51-55% line, and play 13-15 ES mins/GP, that means we'd have control of the game for 28-31 ES/GP. There is about 9-12 mins of specialty teams play every game on average, so there is about 49-51 mins of ES play. So with a good 2nd line, we'd be utterly dominant at ES for 30-33% of ES time (1st line), good at ES for 27-29% of ES time (2nd line). This would only leave around 38-42% of ES time to try and tread water with the 3rd/4th lines.

I still like splitting McDrai up myself, but I understand the desire to see if we can have a good 2nd line without McDrai on it. It would give us a chance to create some nightmare matchups situations for some teams, especially in home games.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I love that Tippett is utilizing pre-season to work on leveraging his top six versatility and building some reps and hopeful chemistry which can be deployed in-season. Keep McDavid/Draisaitl sharp as a lethal pairing and build some reps for Hyman/Nugent Hopkins to slip into a competent second line pairing. Only quibble I might have would be to try Puljujarvi with Hyman and Nugent Hopkins to help bring size and finishing ability. Try Yamamoto's tenacious puck pursuit with McDavid Draisaitl who have enough size and McDavid's insane slashing penetration game to break down defences.

This team's top six versatility with smart players who think the game well and can move around the line-up to create favourable in-game situational match ups can be a very good competitive advantage, imo.

Agree 100%. I like the idea of Pulj on the 2nd line as well. It makes the 2nd line better, and lets be honest, you can stick almost anybody with McDrai and they would still have success.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Keith-Bouchard should be a pairing. Put Koekkoek-Ceci in a minimal role.

Reactions: Duke74

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
I just don't see that second line being very effective.
RNH can't drive a line as a center. Hyman's skillset works best playing with highly skilled line drivers and Yama is in a bit of a funk.

If the ref's keep calling penalties the way they are McDavid and Draisaitl will be playing together a bunch on the pp anyways. I don't see why Tippet wouldn't be trying other combinations with McDavid and Draisaitl being on sperate lines to try and build some chemistry so he could go with a couple lines that were strong instead of relying on loading up the first line.

I would have liked to seen something like this:
Perlini-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-Ryan-Yamamoto
Sceviour-Shore-Turris
(Benson and McLeod rotating in)

Pulj seems to be playing well with McDavid, try Perlini a game to see how he does, he has speed and skill.
I would really be interested to if Hyman could build chemistry with Drai and RNH.
I think the 3rd line doesn't look bad and a good place for Yamamoto to get his confidence and game back.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Gluing McDrai together already in the preseason games. That's why Dave Tippett gets paid the big bucks.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Wish we would see Perlini on the right side. He must really not want to play the right side. I still prefer to see Perlini - Ryan - Foegele or something. I dont like Sceviour on the third line.

Perlini and Shore have developed some chemistry. I like having an effective 4th line.

Sceviour is just a place holder till Kassian is back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad