Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
1687893837134.png

RELEASE: Oilers to open season with home-and-home vs. Canucks

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Cursory looks shows 9 back to backs? Unfortunately they seem to be mostly backloaded which sucks.

Actually looking closer, our April schedule is bullshit. Tire the team out entirely before playoffs.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
11 afternoon games WOOF WOOF. I will continue to do the only thing I can. Not watch.

Don't even have to look to predict a poor December/January for them. They've consistently gone into winter depression since as far back as I can remember.

Reactions: Duke74

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The homestand in December kind of sucks only because we typically play absolutely horrid hockey at home in December for basically the entire McDavid/Draisaitl tenure. Other than that looks ok. I also like that we aren't starting the year with a heavy home schedule either.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Any way to find out which games have specific events/themes? i.e fan appreciation.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not a bad road trip. 3 in New York area and then 3 in California. With a xmas break in between.

Any way to find out which games have specific events/themes? i.e fan appreciation.
Do they even give out anything worthwhile at those games?

Even the playoffs, stupid orange tassel thingys. Like at least a towel you can use or display

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Tons of divisional matchups and central division games to start.
Good opportunity to climb to the top of the West and just work on consistency through the middle of the year.

Have to earn it of course. Woody needs to come in with a proper training camp plan. We are in win now mode, I don't want to see bubble players and camp hopefuls still on the roster on October 1st. Last 3 preseason games should be as close to real game day as possible, find that groove early.

I want to see Campbell bounce back. Can't bank on it, but it would be nice to clean up on those 10 odd back-to-backs and get some rest for Skinner before a strong playoff push and hopefully longer Cup run. Again, Woody needs to have a plan and be ready to adjust or stay composed here with season momentum swings. Still beyond frustrating to me how he managed the Vegas series in Games 5 and 6. Get it done this year.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Tons of divisional matchups and central division games to start.
Good opportunity to climb to the top of the West and just work on consistency through the middle of the year.

Have to earn it of course. Woody needs to come in with a proper training camp plan. We are in win now mode, I don't want to see bubble players and camp hopefuls still on the roster on October 1st. Last 3 preseason games should be as close to real game day as possible, find that groove early.

I want to see Campbell bounce back. Can't bank on it, but it would be nice to clean up on those 10 odd back-to-backs and get some rest for Skinner before a strong playoff push and hopefully longer Cup run. Again, Woody needs to have a plan and be ready to adjust or stay composed here with season momentum swings. Still beyond frustrating to me how he managed the Vegas series in Games 5 and 6. Get it done this year.
Ooh boy, you got that right.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Cursory looks shows 9 back to backs? Unfortunately they seem to be mostly backloaded which sucks.

Actually looking closer, our April schedule is bullshit. Tire the team out entirely before playoffs.
2 of the B2Bs are against Calgary in February and April. Calgary doesn't play the night before for either game nor are either of the other BOA games BTBs for the Flames. Because of course.

The Oilers' opponents (Rangers, Ducks, Kings) on the second half of their first 3 BTBs also have an off day the day before playing the Oilers. The Oilers don't get the benefit of playing any of them on the second night of a BTB this season either.

The Oilers-Senators game in March has both teams playing the second half of BTBs against each other, and for some reason that is also the case for both Oilers-Pens games in March which are naturally a week apart from one another because why not?

The last BTB is on the last day of the season against Colorado, who will be well rested. The Oilers get the Avs on the second of a BTB earlier in April though so that one's a wash. All 3 games against the Avs are from mid-March onwards.

Besides the Pens games, the following games against Eastern teams are also stacked somewhat close together:

NY Islanders - Nov.13; Dec. 19 (5 weeks)
Tampa Bay - Nov. 18; Dec. 14 (4 weeks)
Florida - Nov. 20; Dec. 16 (4 weeks)
Carolina - Nov. 22; Dec. 6 (2 weeks)
New Jersey - Dec. 10; Dec. 21 (11 days)
Detroit - Jan. 11; Feb. 13 (5 weeks)
Boston - Feb. 21; Mar. 5 (13 days)
Buffalo - Mar. 9; Mar. 21 (12 days)

All of the Eastern Canadian games are splashed together in January and March.

Only 3 divisional games against Vegas (2 Home, 1 Away) and San Jose (1 Home, 2 Away) this year.

Also for some reason the Oilers have four 2 day breaks In October, and two more in the first half of November to drive hockey starved Oiler fans crazy to start the year. Then there are 5 day breaks to start December and over the Christmas holidays. Then some more 2 and 3 day breaks in January, a 9 day All-Star break into February.

From February 13th until their last game on April 18th though the Oilers play 34 games which is the most in the Western Conference. That's 41.5% of their schedule in the final 34.5% of the season.

Compare that to the other Western teams over that final stretch (particularly playoff teams - bolded):

29 games (35.4% of schedule) - Calgary, Vancouver, Vegas, Colorado
30 games (36.6%) - Seattle, Minnesota, Dallas, Nashville, Chicago
31 games (37.8%) - Anaheim, Arizona, San Jose, St. Louis
32 games (39.0%) - Winnipeg
33 games (40.2%) - Los Angeles
34 games (41.5%) - Edmonton

Eastern Conference:

28 games - Philadelphia
29 games - NY Rangers, Tampa Bay
30 games - Boston, Florida, Montreal, NY Islanders,
31 games - Buffalo, Carolina, Columbus, Detroit, New Jersey, Washington
32 games - Toronto
33 games - Pittsburgh
34 games - Ottawa

The Oilers are also the only NHL team this year with 5 games (2 B2Bs) in the last 7 days of the NHL season, and I believe the only team with 10 games in April.

Colorado had a similarly brutal end of the season this year (27 games in last 50 days) and got bounced in Round 1. So ya know, just some things that make you go "Hmmmm?".....again....

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Interesting to note that in the 10 back to backs, they might not even have to move hotels for three of them. Likely not need hotels even for three more of them and only a couple with significantly long flights between cities.

2 of them are ANA/LA (an hour drive),
one NY/NJ (an hour drive),
one EDM/CGY (short flight probably come back home after)
2 are both games in EDM (no hotels)
one TOR/OTT (1 hour flight)
EDM/SEA (less than two hour flight in a one off game in the middle of home satand with first game being a matinee)
BUF/PITT (~one hour flight I think)
ARI/COL (likely the hardest one but final two games of the season so some guys might get a night off).

Also the only road trip longer than 4 games has a 6 days Xmas break in the middle of it and on either side is New York, New York, New Jersey, all within an hour drive of each other, and the other SJ, LA and Anaheim (could stay in same hotel for LA and Anaheim).

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I've got a buddy in NY I want to visit whenever the Oilers are in town but f*** sakes they always put those games around the holidays.

Whatever, win the games.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

I LIKE YO PANTS AROUND YO FEET
WHILE YOU'RE LOOKING UP AT ME
YOU JUST GOT MCDAVID'D, SO WEAK

NOW IT WASN'T THAT HARD, I'M A GOSH DARN SUPERSTAR,
YOU'RE JUST A LITTLE TINY FLAME

*"headbanging" part*

Sorry for the caps. It is my nickelback parody song "little tiny flame". There are some nickelback songs in my car play list. One of them is "figured you out":P

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad