GDT: Oilers@Rangers - 11AM - on Rogers Bet Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Discuss.... While I put something of value here.

OILERS vs. RANGERS

STREAM:
11:00 a.m. MT; televised on Sportsnet

Oilers Team Scope

So far, the Oilers trip to New York has been one to forget.

Edmonton comes into Saturday's contest having dropped a 5-2 decision to the New Jersey Devils and a 3-0 game on Wednesday against the Islanders.

Against the Islanders, it was the outstanding performance of Ilya Sorokin that downed the Oilers hopes, with the netminder turning aside all 49 shots he faced on the evening.

The Islanders took the lead early in the second period while Edmonton was on the powerplay. Zach Parise started the counterattack before firing a hard pass at the net for Jean-Gabriel Pageau to tip in at the near post for a 1-0 advantage.

Pageau doubled the lead 2:06 later, but this time on an Islanders man advantage. A late second period goal by Sebastien Aho would be more than enough offence for New York, who locked down the game in the third period courtesy of 23 saves by Sorokin in the final frame to net his second shutout of the season.

Jack Campbell made his first start in nearly two weeks and acquitted himself nicely, turning aside 28 of 31 Islanders chances on the night.

Rangers Team Scope

The Rangers welcome the Oilers to Madison Square Gardens sporting a 10-7-4 record, including a 4-3-3 record at home.

The Broadway city team has been lead by the continued strong performances of Mika Zibanejad, Artemi Panarin and Norris Trophy winner Adam Fox. The trio are all tied for the Rangers lead in points with 23 in 21 games this season, contributing 21 goals combined on the year.

New York has seen stellar goaltending courtesy of 2021-22 Vezina Trophy winner Igor Shesterkin, who comes into Saturday's game with a 2.38 goals-against average, .917 save percentage, and he has been in net for all 10 of the Rangers wins this season.

New York is coming off a 3-2 defeat to the Anaheim Ducks in California, where John Gibson made 41 stops to give the Ducks their first regulation win of the season. Jaroslav Halak made 19 of 22 saves in the loss, which dropped his record to 0-5-1 on the year. Anaheim was lead offensive by a two-point night by Dimitri Kulikov, while Troy Terry scored his eighth of the season for the game winning goal.

"We had lots of opportunities," Rangers Head Coach Gerard Gallant said after the game. "Gibson obviously stood on his head, so I can't fault the performance. It's just disappointing we didn't get any points out of it, but we played hard, we played well. If you play like that, you're going to win a lot of those games."

By The Numbers

The Oilers 49 shots last game were the most in franchise history in a shutout loss... The Oilers are 12-6-3 since 2019-20 in day games, the fifth-highest winning percentage in the NHL over that stretch... Edmonton is 19-20-3 against the Eastern Conference since 2021-22, while they are 40-17-3 against the West... The Oilers have won five of their last six games against the Rangers...

Artemi Panarin is fifth among all NHLers in points since 2018-19 with 359, trailing Patrick Kane, Nathan MacKinnon, and the two Oilers stars McDavid and Draisaitl... Adam Fox is one of three defenders who lead their team in points, joining Erik Karlsson and Josh Morrissey... Mika Zibanejad has recorded a point in 12 of his last 13 games... Igor Shesterkin's 46 wins since the start of 2021-22 are tied for first among all goaltenders over that stretch...

Injury Report

OILERS - Tyler Benson (knee) is on a conditioning assignment in Bakersfield; Oscar Klefbom (shoulder) is on IR; Mike Smith (undisclosed) is on IR; Evander Kane (wrist) is on IR.

RANGERS - N/A

-- Michael Arcuri, EdmontonOilers.com

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Discuss.... While I put something of value here.
I've sworn off watching the NHL until Bettman and his gang are punted and the officiating has gone through an extensive overhaul.

I think I'll be watching discus instead.
throwing-daniel-stahl.gif

Reactions: Oilhawks

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
This is a must win game for many reason. 1 being, can't go under .500.

Too many good soccer games on to waste time watching these stupid matinee games live. Enjoy if you are watching this now. And just f'in win Oilers!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Does Barrie get burned on a 2 on 3 for a 3rd straight game?

Do the Oilers remedy getting outshot 87-3 in the first 10 minutes?

Do special teams do something special?

Can the bottom 6 do something other than playing dead?

Does Woody play Holloway more than 17 seconds?

Can Campbell steal us a game?

Tune in to find out!

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
My viewing patterns of Oilers games has completely changed since moving. I used to watch every 7-8pm start game and miss most of the matinee and east coast games. Now it’s the complete opposite, it’s too much being up till 1-2 in the morning watching hockey games.

This start time seems to suck for the team but it’s perfect for me. My neighbour is a paediatric surgeon originally from Calgary so we went did a little fishing and scuba this morning before taking in the Oilers, Flames double header while mercilessly shit talking each others teams.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Nice to see McDrai again, don't care what anyone says. Love watching them play together.

I also expect Campbell to put up a stinker. He's has what, one game .900 or above all year? Maybe two? Guy is an absolute joke.

Reactions: 29Beast97Mode

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nice to see McDrai again, don't care what anyone says. Love watching them play together.

I also expect Campbell to put up a stinker. He's has what, one game .900 or above all year? Maybe two? Guy is an absolute joke.
5 games above 900, one at exactly 900. 2 games under 800, 6 games with 4+ goals against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad