Oilers Prospect Rankings #2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What a bad set of forward prospects this team has. Like really really bad. Other than Lander who maybe projects to be a 3rd/4th liner, do any of them realistically project to get to the big leagues full time? Some might surprise and get there, but no one looks remotely close to helping the team in the next 2-3 years. I realize a large reason for this is that so all our early first rounders (and Eberle) are already in the show, but the picks outside of the first round... :cry:

(Nurse obviously)

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Wow I know the Oil have been picking first overall and graduating some players rather quickly but that is one weak prospect pool. As a fan I'm not encouraged, regardless of the star players they have now. Need sustained depth and 2nd, 3rd and 4th line forwards. D looks like it could be okay, no real sure thing either though. Oil needs to step their ****ing game up. Hope MacLowe know what they're doing. God I wish they could be gone from this organization forever.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Aren't you guys overreacting a bit?
We are loaded with d prospects and we already have a great top 6
Bottom six players are a dime a dozen and can be acquired quite easily

The Perfect Human*

Nurse made the highlight reel on TSN at the WJHC camp today.

For all the wrong reasons.

Connor McDavid made him look like Steve Staios off the rush today. Great start - schooled by a 16yr old.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
What a bad set of forward prospects this team has. Like really really bad. Other than Lander who maybe projects to be a 3rd/4th liner, do any of them realistically project to get to the big leagues full time? Some might surprise and get there, but no one looks remotely close to helping the team in the next 2-3 years. I realize a large reason for this is that so all our early first rounders (and Eberle) are already in the show, but the picks outside of the first round... :cry:

(Nurse obviously)

We don't have many sexy names but Khaira had a strong start to his NCAA career and might be a steal pick if he continues his development. The reason he went under the radar is because he was 5'5 when he was eligible for the WHL draft. He didn't get drafted and was forced into the BCHL where he grew 7 inches and started dominating offensively and physically. Next year we might be looking at a legitimate top prospect.

Toni Rajala is someone worth keeping an eye on. His size makes him a boom or bust prospect because he won't be a bottom 6 forward but he had a heck of a season last year. Most people had written him off before he even played an AHL game but he deserves a call-up this year if he continues on what he did last year.

Anton Slepyshev was the 1st overall pick in the KHL draft which says a lot about the kind of player he is. He was passed up at the NHL draft because people question if he will ever come over but with all the Russians we have accumulated over the past couple years it's an attractive option for him to come to Edmonton and we might end up with a steal.

It's definitely not good enough but there's some names worth paying attention to.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Connor McDavid made him look like Steve Staios off the rush today. Great start - schooled by a 16yr old.

That 16 year old happens to be one of the best players at the camp also. Brent Sutter would be making a huge mistake if he cuts him due to age. Also, I wouldn't say McDavid schooled him. They showed one clip of Nurse going against him..

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

If it was so easy than why has the bottom 6 been garbage for years? And then when you do acquire good bottom 6 guys it's through FA and you have to overpay. Having legit NHLers on entry level deals lets you spend your money elsewhere.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not in love with Khaira, and I say that because I find him to be extremely slow, but if he finds speed, then the potential is there for a lower tier power forward

The Perfect Human*

That 16 year old happens to be one of the best players at the camp also. Brent Sutter would be making a huge mistake if he cuts him due to age. Also, I wouldn't say McDavid schooled him. They showed one clip of Nurse going against him..

Yeah I re-watched the clip. He fanned on the puck and was trying to throw the body into McDavid while simultaneously making a move on the puck. McDavid's IQ came through. He switched sides, lifted Nurse's stick, and made a play.

If McDavid starts adding weight like Crosby he's going to be disgusting.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
The Oilers really need one of Pitlick, Martindale, or Hamilton to have a strong year and rejuvenate their lackluster pro careers.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We don't have many sexy names but Khaira had a strong start to his NCAA career and might be a steal pick if he continues his development. The reason he went under the radar is because he was 5'5 when he was eligible for the WHL draft. He didn't get drafted and was forced into the BCHL where he grew 7 inches and started dominating offensively and physically. Next year we might be looking at a legitimate top prospect.

Toni Rajala is someone worth keeping an eye on. His size makes him a boom or bust prospect because he won't be a bottom 6 forward but he had a heck of a season last year. Most people had written him off before he even played an AHL game but he deserves a call-up this year if he continues on what he did last year.

Anton Slepyshev was the 1st overall pick in the KHL draft which says a lot about the kind of player he is. He was passed up at the NHL draft because people question if he will ever come over but with all the Russians we have accumulated over the past couple years it's an attractive option for him to come to Edmonton and we might end up with a steal.

It's definitely not good enough but there's some names worth paying attention to.

As I said, maybe someone surprises. But they are all long shots.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Evidently not, or our bottom six wouldn't be as horrific as it is right now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
As I said, maybe someone surprises. But they are all long shots.

I don't see how some of them are longshots. I'm very excited for Slepyshev for one, and Rajala putting up a PPG in the AHL as a 21 year old is very impressive. The only reason we don't have any true bluechip prospects at forward is because they're all in the NHL already. We're actually looking pretty good at forward now imo

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The Oilers really need one of Pitlick, Martindale, or Hamilton to have a strong year and rejuvenate their lackluster pro careers.

I figure Pitlick is the guy most likely to do that. Skates well, really physical and has a good shot. Right now I think he could be a decent injury call-up for the 4th line, but I had 2nd/3rd line hopes for this guy when he was drafted.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Evidently not, or our bottom six wouldn't be as horrific as it is right now.

Most organizations have little problem finding competent bottom 6 players.
The Oilers are the exception to the rule, one of the biggest failures of the Tambellini regime and now MacT is off to a rough start at least on paper as far as finding competent bottom 6ers is concerned.

The reason why the Oilers prospect pool at forward looks weak is because all of their 1st round forwards who were drafted the last 6 years (Gagner, Eberle, Paajarvi, Hall, RNH and Yak) are in the NHL. After the 1st round, it's a crapshoot for most teams and still too early to tell on a lot of them so the panic about this being such a weak prospect pool is a bit unwarranted IMO.
With that being said, it would be nice to see one of these secondary prospects pan out. I think Lander will prove himself to be a good NHLer soon enough, I have little hope for the others though. Hopefully, they surprise (I'm looking at you Pitlick).

Anyway, the answer to the poll is Nurse obviously. A clear 2nd to Klefbom IMO.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced

I'd say all 3 of them need to pick their socks up.
The OKC Barons page had a good interview/article with Martindale today.
Hopefully Hamilton and Pitlick can both stay healthy this year too.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

As an ohl fan I truly believe this kid is the best thing to come out of the draft since Crosby. I'm sure you can find highlights of Crosby embarrassing any NHL d-man.

What about Nuge schooling Lidstrom? Did that make Lidstrom suck?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Other than Lander who maybe projects to be a 3rd/4th liner, do any of them realistically project to get to the big leagues full time? Some might surprise and get there, but no one looks remotely close to helping the team in the next 2-3 years.

I can't confidently say because I've never watched him play, but after the draft a number of QMJHL followers were commending the Marco Roy pick. His scouting report reads very much like a poor man's Patrice Bergeron. He was drafted as a winger, but it seems like he's capable of playing C. I'd say he's got the potential to be a full time NHLer in 3 years. Will it be with our team? Maybe not given his size (average) and projected role vs our need for size in the bottom 6, but seems to have all the intangibles.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
There are some sports experts out there commenting that the Oils have limited prospects. Currently, there is no need to have any great prospects who will make the top 6 because those positions are filled. They are filled with elite young players whose average age is 22 yrs old and not likely to be moved/replaced. If we did have top prospects who can play in the top 6, they will likely have to wait and wait to crack the line up. They also drafted for size in the last two years bypassing more skill instead. They are well-stocked on defence. The only weak spot is perhaps an upcoming goalie and a big centre but those are not severe short comings but can be managed over time and when opportunity knocks.

The statement that the Oilers are ranked lower than most clubs in draft prospects, in this case, becomes an exception of the conventional opinions. Why? Because their top draft picks are young and currently playing in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad