Post-Game Talk: Oilers play well but still lose 3-2

randylahey

Jul 18, 2007
At the very least, it would be a good story. It would give us SOMETHING to feel good about, and perhaps even give the rest of the guys on the team more motivation (not likely, but who knows). After the accident he had, to come back from that and be able to play NHL hockey would be a nice little glimmer of positive light that we could latch onto, and give us a bit more emotional attachment again. So many people are emotionally detaching, and I don't blame them. Fedun would be something to rally behind. We're not going anywhere this year anyway; call him up and play him. Give us a positive story to grasp on to. This fan base needs it in the worst way. I don't think he'd be a world beater, but I think he'd be at least as good as Larsen, and can still develop. It makes sense to bring him up. In other words: it likely won't happen--not unless/until there's some heavy injuries on D.

The reality is sure, maybe Fedun would be a fine number 6 on THIS team, but the fact people are hankering for him to be called up says everything you need to know about our defence and the depth we have. He's not an NHL player on 29 other teams, and he isn't a young prospect either at 25. Great story either way though.

DarthP0ker

Nov 21, 2013
Dubs would've got lit up like a Christmas tree in this one. The score was 3-2 instead of 6-2 because of Bryz.

End of story.

Wins in Anaheim just aren't realistic. For any club.:amazed:

Agreed, Bryz will consistently keep us in games. Dubs would've shrugged and started feeling sorry for himself after the 2nd goal.
Ducks are 13-0-2 at home, they put up a decent fight

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
This team is not built to play in the Western Conference. It's that simple. Maybe they are a. 500 team in the East but unless someone in management wakes the ****** up they will never get anywhere in the West with this weak roster.

Two of Eberle, RNH, Gagner, and Yakupov absolutely need to be exchanged for bigger, meaner talents.

Tired of watching the same thing over and over again.

Those 2 will have to be Gagner and Eberle. Offer to Philly along with 1st for Coyburn, Simmonds and Couterier

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
Meh, for all the Penner love, he's clearly a product of Getzlaf and Perry on an Olympic mission. The safer bet is he would have been listless here if he couldn't do anything in LA to begin with.

But then when he he scored, I went "obviously" thinking him or Cogs would be the player to seal the game. It's as predictable as slapstick comedy at this point.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Meh, for all the Penner love, he's clearly a product of Getzlaf and Perry on an Olympic mission. The safer bet is he would have been listless here if he couldn't do anything in LA to begin with.

But then when he he scored, I went "obviously" thinking him or Cogs would be the player to seal the game. It's as predictable as slapstick comedy at this point.

like clockwork too, you just knew it was going to happen at that stage of the game.

sigh, all well, it's not like we can even pretend to care anymore. This team has single handedly destroyed my desire to care.

I watched half the third, meh. all i care about is big trades that will shake up the team. and i frankly dont care who goes anymore

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Why is Larsen playing? Can they please get him out of there? He messes up more than he doesn't. I crings when I see him on the ice, especially when he's the only QB on a PP.

Hopefully Potter gets suspended for that hit. When it happened and the ref right in front didn't put up his arm, I was pissed. I don't care who's pulling that BS, it doesn't belong in hockey! Glad to see it was a 5 and a game and deserves a suspension. Nice to see the boys really play well in the PK as well.

I'd like to see how many goals we've deflected into our own net. They said the Oilers are third in shots blocked. As a new stat, i'd like a comparison of teams that block shots and shots deflected into their own net. Feels like we're good for at least one per game or every second game. Bryz woulda stopped it if it wasnt deflected.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
im not saying we should have resigned dustin penner (we should have though) but having someone dominate the boards and corners with their size is so lacking on this team it isnt even funny

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
On a plus note Gags owned the dot last night. Enough said in that department. The statistics also show we gave less then double digit turnovers. :handclap: Overmatched by a bigger more experienced team. Lovejoy was spreading around the carcasses left and right. Wish we had a defender that did this. Top 6 mix isn't going to cut it. Trade time.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Our problem is that we have the worst defence I have ever seen put together in the history of the Oilers.

Ference - Not even close to a shut down #1 guy.

Petry - Still pretty green and is horrid some games.

Larsen - Makes more mistakes than good plays.

Potter - LOL

Grebs - LOL

J Schultz - Having an extremely rough year.

N Schultz - Whatever.

I don't care who plays forward, with this mixed bag of nuts, no one in the league could win with these guys out there. There is not one defensemen that you can count on to shut anything down. Doesn't matter who plays with who, they are horrid.

To piss me off even more, there was no need to trade Smid. First dumb move by MacT. Well, that and having Eakins getting out coached nightly makes things very depressing.

The Smid move was stupid. Flat out stupid. I was never a huge fan of his game but he's simply better than most of what we've got back there.

People know I was never in favor of the Gilbert N Schultz deal. wouldn't you know it Tom is putting up a solid year in Florida, a go to defender there, and Nick is gifting goals to opponents.

Gilbert was always going to be the better D and was at the time.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
On a plus note Gags owned the dot last night. Enough said in that department. The statistics also show we gave less then double digit turnovers. :handclap: Overmatched by a bigger more experienced team. Lovejoy was spreading around the carcasses left and right. Wish we had a defender that did this. Top 6 mix isn't going to cut it. Trade time.

Um, what?

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Dubs would've got lit up like a Christmas tree in this one. The score was 3-2 instead of 6-2 because of Bryz.

End of story.

Wins in Anaheim just aren't realistic. For any club.:amazed:

I agree, but Dub would have let three in early, and totally deflated the team, probably a shutout for the ducks..

The team certainly plays with more confidence when BRYZ is in net...

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Isn't there a league standard on how good the ice should be? Or does everyone who goes into Anaheim and maybe the warmer cities expect to be playing with a tennis ball? After a game like last night, where the ball/puck bounced on every second pass, maybe the league needs to tell the Ducks arena owner to fix the issue. Could be another reason why the Ducks are without a loss at home, since they've prob gotten used to the way the ball bounces there.

McNutty780

Apr 12, 2011
Garbage D :shakehead

I'm not sure how Mac T and Eakins can keep a straight face while discussing who is going to get top 4 minutes

bminucci

Nov 7, 2010
Santa Ana, CA
^This is the Oilers problem, you guys have drafted high 7 years now and apart from your top picks have nothing to show for it. Its not just about how your drafting but how you develop those players, IMO the Oilers rushed Hopkins into the line up in a attempt to push for the playoffs, he needed time to grow and to bulk up, but instead he got hurt his 1st and 2nd year, I wont be surprised if he gets hurt again.

Also doesn't help management changes coaches every year, theres no direction from management and it shows in the way your team plays. Kruger should of been given a real opportunity to work with your kids, he was on to something, Eakins spent all preseason working on that swarm defense, and has since abandoned it with no real defensive coverage, I dont see any puck support coming out of your own end, half your forwards cheat out of the zone looking for odd man rushes which is why you guys turn it over in the neutral zone so much. Throughout the line up your forwards are small and in the west thats a death sentence along the half wall where all the top western teams play offense and defense.

All this falls on the shoulders of management, so until theres a shake up, up top you cant expect different results. There is no quick fix here for this team, they need to hold on to the youth they got and move guys like Hemsky, Gagner, Smyth, Jones, Gordon, Joensuu, Ference, Petry, Potter and N. Shultz and bring in some kids hungry for a opportunity to play that has a combination of grit and skill.

I wish the Oilers, Flames and Jets canturn things around, because the playoffs just aren't the same when so many Canadian teams are out.

I can't disagree more with this part. The Oilers need leaders and veterans in the locker room. I agree this is management's fault, but just getting younger and more skilled will not help you win in the west. You need role players and leaders. Like Burke likes to call them "character" guys.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So...I think we know now why Larsen was a throw-in with a 7th round pick for Shawn Horcoff. Just an awful defenseman. Why is he on the team over Fedun? Oh right, MacT prefers dmen who can't play defense.

this is a pretty important question that i've yet to see the answer for... fedun was miles and miles better than larsen has been... sure it was a small sample, but the kid can only play the games he's put in

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
PGT with only 5 pages? I guess I'm not the only one who just doesn't care anymore. Haven't watched a game since they **** the bed against Detroit.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Watched pretty much every game this year but I noticed that the last couple of games I watched, I stopped caring. Usually when one of our players score, I get somewhat excited but now nothing. What irks me the most is the post game reactions by Eakins. He seems fine with losing . I think most of the players are now. "We lost again. Ahh..whatever. We played alright though".....Ugh

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Watched pretty much every game this year but I noticed that the last couple of games I watched, I stopped caring. Usually when one of our players score, I get somewhat excited but now nothing. What irks me the most is the post game reactions by Eakins. He seems fine with losing . I think most of the players are now. "We lost again. Ahh..whatever. We played alright though".....Ugh

Does falling asleep repeatedly during the games constitute non caring?

I nodded off several times in the second period. Only problem is I kept having an Oiler related nightmare and waking up..

I think next I don't need a halloween costume. Oilers attire should do fine.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
The comments on this board (and others) should be frightening for Oilers management. If we're in a similar position this time next year the franchise is going to take on some of the financial damage that it has avoided over the last 8 years. The only thing more impatient than MacT, in this town, is the fan base. Simply put people are beginning to care less.

This rebuild came at the perfect time (if you're the Oilers brass), right on the heels of a cup run. The fan base was re-energized after 15 years in the wilderness. First we bought the rebuild on the fly, then we soaked up the scorched earth rebuild and now we're at what re-rebuild? Hockey fans in this town are, generally, very knowledgeable about the game and we're beginning to see with our eyes and not our hearts - we're beginning to see just how poorly this team is constructed and how poorly managed this team is. Fans don't care about the remaining games this year because they were out of the playoffs by November and most don't want to hear about draft picks anymore. Thats a dangerous combo if you're the Edmonton Oilers.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Does anyone else think Larsen makes the absolute worse decisions I have ever seen with the puck when he is last man back, especially on the PP. Not exaggerating here possibly the worst ever IMO.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Larsen hasn't been that great but I think JSchultz and Petry have been really poor as well. Belov has been pretty underwhelming so far also.

Potter, NSchultz and Ference have been a little "less mediocre" imo.

I'd give a longer look to Fedun just because he probably isn't going to be any worse than all 7 of those regulars up above and who knows, Fedun could be a bit of a surprise based on his play in the few games he played so far which wasn't bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad