Oilers play under Kris Knoblauch

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think Woodcroft and Manson partially fell victim to being "young" coaches. Had they (esp. Woody) been older and more NHL experienced, they might not be fired now. This is what I mean:

After the Oilers' loss to Vegas last spring, the whole fanbase and media seemed to feel it was the end of the world, and big changes in the team's system were needed. (I personally didn't understand this and thought it was crazy overreaction --- the Oilers had had a great season and were winning the Vegas series halfway though game 5 before a series of events quickly turned it in Vegas's favor and it was suddenly over.) Anyway, Woodcroft and Manson, so I think, felt pressured into coming up with a new defensive system, so they desperately tried to implement a zone defence in training camp.

We pause here to note that Dave Manson's wife died in the off-season, a no-doubt overwhelming blow to him and his family. I can imagine that the combined pressure of having to implement a new defensive system for a Cup-favored team while everyone was walking on eggshells around Manson probably didn't lead to a great implementation.

Then, add on the apparently easy-going pre-season Woodcroft seemed to favor (i.e., team wasn't really to go) and the injuries / neutered play of the team's best forward (McDavid) and best defenceman (Eckholm) to start the year, and you've got an unprepared, injured team, anxious and under pressure, trying to use a new system they don't really understand, to start the season.

The result we saw.

I do think that the club would have recovered under Woodcroft anyway, and would probably be back to a playoff spot by now (or close to it) even if he hadn't been fired, but obviously the turnaround has been so unprecedented and stark that Knoblauch and Coffey must be doing some little things very right.

For his part, Coffey apparently ordered the dressing-room changed around so that the all of the defensemen were sitting together. They can now chat before and during games. This seems to have had a good effect. Coffey is also a very 'positive' guy who builds up the Ds' collective confidence, and doesn't dwell on their mistakes. He has encouraged the D to always try first to make purposeful plays and passes when getting the puck out, rather than just whipping it out or sending it down the ice. The Oilers are now playing a zone defense, but now they seem to know how to do it. It's one thing to decide to do a new system, but it's quite another thing to communicate it to players so that they understand it.

Knoblach has made some line combinations work (like Draisaitl, McLeod, Foegele) that nobody else had really tried or experimented with. He has also managed / limited the ice-time of the superstar forwards better. But I personally think the biggest thing he has done is with the penalty-kill. The PK had been up and down under Woodcroft / Manson, and was frustratingly inconsistent. There were a few designated players who always were on it, but the cast of PK players was always shifting, and thus PK-ers were often out there with new teammates, not knowing what each was going to do. Knoblauch seemed to immediately say "to hell with that", and went back to a more traditional thing where specific combinations of specifically designated players go out and kill the penalties. This has had an amazing effect.

Reactions: Mr Kot

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
26-6-0 is a crazy good record but its only 1 point better than the Avs, 2 points better than the Nucks and 3 better than the Jets since November 12th. Its hard to give it to Knoblauch for being slightly better than the other guys in contention when hes coached for a shorter span of time this year. But if the Nucks or Jets get the Presidents trophy then its hard to not give it to their coaches since the expectations vs outcomes would be insane and it would be over an 82 game season and not a 69 game season. If they maintain the insane winning % (which is really hard to imagine) then hes in the conversation.
In 4, 3, and 1 less games played.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
26-6-0 is a crazy good record but its only 1 point better than the Avs, 2 points better than the Nucks and 3 better than the Jets since November 12th.
32 games played for the Oilers compared to 36 for Colorado and 35 for the Canucks and 33 for the Jets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duder54

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Not likely a Jack Adams contender imo.
The Oilers were picked to be a top contender before the season. As well the sample size is simply not big enough at this point. I mean we’re not even at the half way point and he took over part way through the season.
I think his trajectory is VERY promising.

Bill Barber, Bruce Boudreau and Ken Hitchcock, they all won the Jack Adams for their coaching as mid season replacements as well.

What might hold back KK is the media pinning the turn around more on the health of McD and Ekholm versus the system work, defensive improvement that I see as the biggest reason for the team’s improvement (and thus coaching).

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Gonna give this thread an update.

CategoryWoodcroftKnoblauch
Record3-9-126-6-0
Points7 (31st)52 (1st)
Points %0.269 (31st)0.813 (1st)
Goals for35 (28th)123 (5th)
Goals for per game2.69 (26th)3.84 (3rd)
Goals against51 (T-25th)73 (2nd)
Goals against per game3.92 (30th)2.28 (2nd)
PP%23.9 (9th)28.4 (4th)
PK%70.0 (30th)89.3 (1st)
Shots for per game34.2 (2nd)33.6 (4th)
Shots against per game28.8 (7th)27.7 (3rd)

Incredible stats for the Oilers in all categories. Whats especially impressive is that they are leading the league in points since November 12 while also having played the fewest games.

Kris Knoblauch has to be a a Jack Adams favourite at this point.
Can't see them giving a nod to a coach who didn't even coach a full season. Coaching bumps are not uncommon. If he repeats his stats next year then he can earn it then.

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
End of season update:

Record3-9-146-18-5
Points7 (31st)97 (1st)
Points %0.269 (31st)0.703 (1st)
GF35 (28th)257 (2nd)
GFPG2.69 (30th)3.72 (2nd)
GA51 (T-25th)185 (6th)
GAPG3.92 (30th)2.68 (5th)
PP%23.9 (9th)26.9 (3rd)
PK%70.0 (30th)81.7 (7th)
SF/G34.2 (2nd)33.7 (1st)
SA/G28.8 (7th)28.0 (5th

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
End of season update:

Record3-9-146-18-5
Points7 (31st)97 (1st)
Points %0.269 (31st)0.703 (1st)
GF35 (28th)257 (2nd)
GFPG2.69 (30th)3.72 (2nd)
GA51 (T-25th)185 (6th)
GAPG3.92 (30th)2.68 (5th)
PP%23.9 (9th)26.9 (3rd)
PK%70.0 (30th)81.7 (7th)
SF/G34.2 (2nd)33.7 (1st)
SA/G28.8 (7th)28.0 (5th

The crazy part is they had similar stats when Woody took over from tippet

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The crazy part is they had similar stats when Woody took over from tippet
I feel way better about the overall play throughout their roster and their consistency under Knoblauch this season then I ever did under Woodcroft and I liked Woodcroft and didn't think he deserved to be fired. They play a much more controlled game. They were on a big roll entering the playoffs last season and the media and some of the fans who only know how to look at stats (like some of these silly Oiler fans on here trying to claim Bouchard is good defensively) kept hyping up their improved defensive play going into the playoffs and I honestly was not that impressed overall. I thought they were inconsistent and prone to a lot of mental breakdowns defensively even though their stats looked good. Those issues got exposed in the playoffs. There is no guarantee that will not happen again but I feel much more positive in their play going into the playoffs this season then last. I think the way they have played for most of this season gives them a better chance to win in the playoffs, it just depends if they can maintain it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad