Oilers past 5 first round picks.

LoiltyAtItsFinest

Aug 18, 2014
Seguin>hall
RNH good choice
Galchenyuk>yakupov but yak could definetly turn it around and end up being the good choice
Risto>nurse a little early that's what looks like now
Draisaitl good choice. I would say guys like Bennett ehjlers and nylander are better but drai is good pick cause of his size

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
It's not so much that these players failed to bring the Oilers out of the doldrums, they walked into an organization that was plagued by a losing culture set by the Old Boys Club.

Now with new management, there's a new culture and an expectation of winning.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Wasn't Oleksiak picked way before Klefbom? I remember Oleksiak being a 5-10 pick prospect due to his Chara-like size, while McNeill and Klefbom were in the 15-20 range.

Either way, I was happy with the pick then and I'm happy with it now.

Galchenyuk was never a serious possibility for the 1st overall pick. Guy had missed almost his entire pre-draft year with injury; even Connor McDavid would have had trouble getting drafted 1st if he missed out on all of last year.

I wouldn't say Dallas picking him 4 spots ahead is way ahead. A lot of people had Oleksiak in the 15-20 range, so I thought we had a pretty good chance at landing him

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Could you imagine if the Oilers took Seguin over Hall?

Take away the cup ring and add the perceived character issues and chances are you don't see the same Tyler Seguin in Edmonton.

Taylor Hall was the right pick.
I think if they had it would have dramatically changed who they drafted every year after that too. I suspect Landeskog would have been selected instead of RNH at the very least. I think Seguin would have imploded if he'd have played here. His activities in this fishbowl market would have made it so tough on him. It was bad enough for Jason Arnott and that was before social media when you could hide those kinds of things. Who knows where we would have been if that was the case. We may have had a better shot at McKinnon and Ekblad and possibly been out of the running for MacDavid.

In any event, I don't see a scenario where this team would have been dramatically better then it is now. Even taking MacDavid out of the mix. This team's biggest problems haven't been the players drafted with those high picks. It's been the inability by management to put other players around them.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Hall>Seguin when you take everything into account, lol can you imagine Seguin under Eakins ROFL

RNH >=Landeskog id argue Landskog is an elite winger with a lot of valuable entangibles but RNH has become so good 2way and still has that high level offensive talent he just needs someone who can share or take 1st come.

trading down>Yak>Murray>Galch
I dont think Galchenyuk will be elite by an stretch and while Murray has had injuries they arent reoccurring so i wouldn't say hes injury prone. Trading down for the pens 1sts or to get Murray+ wouldve been what id be looking for.

To early to tell whether Nurse was the right pick but im happy with it, i sure as hell wouldn't have taken a winger lol Nurse vs Risto essentially.

I think in hind sight Bennett wouldve been a better winger than Drais now that we have McDavid but hes still a solid pick, his size and talent are perfect for us.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
2010 - I just like Hall's character more. He is showing to be the far more dominant player in the WHC.

2011 - I still wish we had better C depth because I do like Landeskog as a player more. That said, with the lack of Depth down the middle, RNH was the right choice. I think Larsson was going to be the pick if not RNH anyways...

2012 - I just looked at all stats from 2012 draft class. Yak still 2nd in scoring (tied for goals lead) behind Gally. No Eakins, and I think they would be tied in points with Yak being the clear goal scoring leader from that draft. One of the high end D-men would be better sure, but would the oft-injured Murray, or the potential bust Reinhart have been a better fit? Because those were the alternatives at that pick...

2013 - Nurse/Risto/Nich.... I was going to be happy with either of those picks. I kind of wish it was Ristolainen, but Nurse is a stud too.

2014 - Still wish we took Bennett here, but Drai is still a great prospect, and as many have pointed out, fills a team need.

2015 - Hanifin fills a need for sure, but I can't believe we passed on McDavid and Eichel. Both have top 6 potential! :sarcasm:

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
2010 - Hall - Everytime in hindsight. At the draft I wanted Seguin, glad it didn't happen.
2011 - RNH - Especially after taking Hall. Was sooooooo happy with the Klefbom pick then and now.
2012 - Wanted Murray, got Nail. Would have been fine with either. Not a great draft class that year.
2013 - Nurse/Monohan - BPA. Whichever was available after Calgary. If Calgary had gone off the board at this point, it would have been a tougher decision.
2014 - Would have been fine with any of the top 4. Drai will be very good for us.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Edmonton's biggest issue with their 1st overall picks wasn't that they picked the wrong player or didn't properly develop them. The issue has been that there hasn't been a generational talent like Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin/Stamkos available in the drafts that Edmonton had 1st overall.

This year is obviously different, thank god.

Think about if you put 18 year old Hall/RNH/Yak into this years draft, the draft would probably go McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Hall, RNH.... Yak wouldn't even make top 5..

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
2010 - Hall - Everytime in hindsight. At the draft I wanted Seguin, glad it didn't happen.
2011 - RNH - Especially after taking Hall. Was sooooooo happy with the Klefbom pick then and now.
2012 - Wanted Murray, got Nail. Would have been fine with either. Not a great draft class that year.
2013 - Nurse/Monohan - BPA. Whichever was available after Calgary. If Calgary had gone off the board at this point, it would have been a tougher decision.
2014 - Would have been fine with any of the top 4. Drai will be very good for us.

I agree, even if Sam Bennett turns out to be a higher point producer than Drai I think that Drai is going to fit the make up of our team better. Having RNH-McDavid down the middle is arguably already too small, Bennett would make it worse. Draisaitl might be a perfect fit, I see him as a Jordan Staal type impact for the early Penguins

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Edmonton's biggest issue with their 1st overall picks wasn't that they picked the wrong player or didn't properly develop them. The issue has been that there hasn't been a generational talent like Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin/Stamkos available in the drafts that Edmonton had 1st overall.

Think about if you put 18 year old Hall/RNH/Yak into this years draft, the draft would probably go McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Hall, RNH.... Yak wouldn't even make top 5..

I disagree. Hall for sure would be ahead of Strome, and RNH may be as well

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I disagree. Hall for sure would be ahead of Strome, and RNH may be as well

I was actually going to say Hall and Strome are pretty equal. But either way the point is the same. Our best player on our team that we drafted 1st overall would go 3rd in a year with a generational talent...

Edmonton has been lucky to win the lotteries but has been unlucky in regards to who is available in those draft years..

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I was actually going to say Hall and Strome are pretty equal. But either way the point is the same. Our best player on our team that we drafted 1st overall would go 3rd in a year with a generational talent...

Edmonton has been lucky to win the lotteries but has been unlucky in regards to who is available in those draft years..

I agree with the big picture of what you're saying. I still don't think Hall and Strome are QUITE equal. Seguin was a better C than Strome (ignore the points, look at the tools), and Hall was rated the better prospect by most.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
When you think of the 5 first round draft picks.

Only 2 have made any significant contribution to the team.

Yakupov has actually been detrimental with his play.

Perhaps there's reason to hope for next year.

We could be getting contributions from 3 more. And who knows if Yak turns it around.

Clearly zero effort on your part to look at the game by game reults for the player.Yak needed the eakins stench off him!

Krueger and post allstar break Nelson:
77gm 26g 25A 51P -15 .338 GPG .662 PPG
Eakins to pre allstar break;
115gm 16G 21A 37P -57 .139 GPG .322 PPG

A XXX-Mcdavid-Yakupov soft comp 3rd line wil be interesting!

Hall(24)-Lander(24)-Draisatl(20)
Pouliot(29)-RNH(22)-Eberle(25)
Yakimov (21)-Mcdavid(19)-Yakupov(22)

i am ok with were SM drafting will have us since 2008.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I was happy with all the picks they made however now in hindsight I wish they had changed a few. Seguin seems to have become a better player then Hall. Granted he has been on better teams then Hall but he was the NHLs top scorer for a long time this year anyone that can accomplish that is a superstar. I still like Hall alot but I do wish the Oilers had selected Seguin now in hindsight. The other is instead of Yakupov I wish the Oilers had Ryan Murray. When they took Yakupov I was all in support from highlights he looked outstanding and I still think he has much potential but the Oilers are in desperate need of solid defence and I think Murray would have been a better pick once again in hindsight. I think the Oilers made the correct choices with RNH, Nurse and Draisaitl.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
2010 - Two time Mem cup champion and two time Mem cup MVP and WHJC gold medalist. Of course you take Hall - every day. Chiarelli would have jumped all over him if he had first pick

2011 - very bad draft year. RNH is a #6 or #7 guy this year if it's his draft year. But right choice

2012 - Murray was the right choice, not a smaller winger. Regardless of Murray's injuries, when he's been healthy, he's been a very solid dman for Columbus

2013 - Nurse over Nichushkin - tough to call still. We needed both. In the end I think we will come out ahead (wanted Monahan bad but Calgary beat us to it good pick by them obv).

2014 - Draisaitl - he's 6'1", and 208lbs. Will probably be 220. So far, he is not big at all on the ice. Not sure what some people watch, but saw NHL men much smaller than him take the puck off him. He will learn though, he's still a kid. At least, I hope he will. If not, we got Chad Kilger. Would have preferred Bennett

2015 - Jack Eichel - he fits us better actually. But of course we take McDavid. However, if Murray didn't trade Myers, I'd have been very tempted to have traded them McDavid for Eichel and Myers.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Seguin disappears in the playoffs, no?

Neely said it best, if Seguin brought HALF of what Kane brought in the finals, Bruins might have another cup.

Is this really what people want out of their stars?

Bruins 2nd Stanley Cup trip:
GP:22
G:1
A:7
Pts:8

In Dallas:
GP: 6
G: 1
A: 2
Pts: 3

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Hall - Yes

RNH - Yes

Yakupov - They had no choice. Yak was the clear cut #1 at the time. I know people like to say Galchenyuk was an option, but he was injured almost the entire season. It would have been a huge gamble. And Murray was very specifically projected as the #1 for EDM due to roster holes. Taking out the "need" factor, most places had Yak ahead of him if I recall correctly. So I have no problems with this pick, regardless of how it ends up. If we're retroactively going to change things, I'd take Trouba over Murray any day of the week. That kid is amazing.

Nurse - Too early to tell, but I had Nichushkin and Ristolainen ahead of Nurse.

Draisaitl - Again, too early to tell, but I was on team Bennett.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Can't wait for the time when RNH will not to be forced into playing 22-24 mins a night....Much more effective player when he only has to play 18-20 mins a night...has an extra jump in his step when not being overplayed

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Pretty much all it boils down to.

I don't really lose much sleep over this stuff either.

If you change one of these picks, then odds are we aren't sitting here talking about McDavid.

Everything that led to us getting the McDavid had to happen exactly the way it did. If you change one thing, then everything else after it changes.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The only one I questioned was Drai, as I liked Bennet more, but overall that isn't. All the rest of the picks all stand up and look like the best picks now.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Do you believe the Oilers made the right choices as of 2015?

Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Nurse
Draisaitl

I believe in building from the back end out, but of course you should always choose what you think is the best player available (if it is obvious). If it's questionable, refer to my list below.

In the opening round, my preferred position ranking are:
1a. Center
1b. Dmen
2. Wingers
3. Goalies

I am a big fan of:
Canadian/Swede Dmen
Big talented C
Dmen with some nastiness
fast and tenacious wingers

In the first 2-3 years I would have preferred the Oilers draft defencemen, as it takes longer for them to realize their potential.

I'll be honest, my picks on the actual draft day were:
Hall (he's a winger but IMO too good to pass up)
Larsson
Lindholm
Nurse (finally the Oilers pick a Dman)
Draisaitl

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Do people not realize that Murray had a total of 3 freaking points this year?

I don't care how good he looks when he's healthy, he has proved nothing at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad