Oilers One-Hit Wonders

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
From Jan. 4th 1988 (in L.A.) to Jan. 8th 1989 (in Edmonton), Carson scored 72 NHL goals in 87 games. During this one-year period, he was traded (along with some cash) for Wayne Gretzky.

Five years later, he was traded for Dixon Ward. A year and a half later, he was in the IHL.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Kinda an off topic question. But going from the 91-92 season into the 92-93 season, what exactly was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak?

Cause looking at the end of season stats (I was still too young to to remember that season) it was a solid thunk going from conference finals to the cellars. Was there one trade or loss at free agency that can be identified that finally broke the team?

Traded Away a 90 point player in Vincent Damphousse for cancer known as Shane Corson.
Joe Murphy wanted $1million a year for his breakout PPG season, and held out. He was traded to Chicago.
Bernie Nicholls was traded for scraps.

And that was our entire first line.

I think Craig Simpson was traded before Training camp (I think it was holdout related?)

Then I think there were a few expansion drafts. We lost Scott Mellanby, Mark Lamb, and Anatoli Semenov.

Also I'm not sure why we traded Marty Gelinas for Scott Pearson.
Also Kevin Lowe was traded for Roman Oksuita who was barely an NHLer.

So.... all of our top-end talent, our captain, and a sizable chunk of our depth in a single year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Traded Away a 90 point player in Vincent Damphousse for cancer known as Shane Corson.
Joe Murphy wanted $1million a year for his breakout PPG season, and held out. He was traded to Chicago.

I think Craig Simpson was traded before Training camp (I think it was holdout related?)

Then I think there were a few expansion drafts. We lost Scott Mellanby, Mark Lamb, and Anatoli Semenov. All of our top-end talent, and a LOT of depth in a single year.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Came here to mention Kovalenko, Selivanov and Ciger. The Oilers had a ton of short stops in the 90s. Thank God they're not a small market team anymore.

Another one I'll add is Jochen Hecht. He was the big get from St Louis along with Marty Reasoner in the Doug Weight trade. He put up a modest 40 points in his 24 year old season, then got shipped off to Buffalo that summer for a pair of second round picks.

Fortunately one of those picks turned into Jarrett Stoll--the other JDD. So the whole thing wasn't a total write off.

That Tikkanen trade paid some serious dividends throughout the years.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Then I think there were a few expansion drafts. We lost Scott Mellanby, Mark Lamb, and Anatoli Semenov.

So.... all of our top-end talent, our captain, and a sizable chunk of our depth in a single year.
Ouch.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Not sure if this has been mentioned or anyone agrees but Roloson maybe. Had a strong run for us in the cup year and kind of fizzled our after that.

I'd disagree with that assessement.

Roloson was still a very decent starter after the playoffs.

YearGAASV%
06-072.75.909
07-083.05.901
08-092.77.915
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

These are pretty respectable stats considering he was playing on a team who's best player during those years was...

checks notes

coughs

Shawn Horcoff...

His 08-09, and 10-11 were his best seasons since before the lockout.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I'd disagree with that assessement.

Roloson was still a very decent starter after the playoffs.

YearGAASV%
06-072.75.909
07-083.05.901
08-092.77.915
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
These are pretty respectable stats considering he was playing on a team who's best player during those years was...

checks notes

coughs

Shawn Horcoff...

His 08-09, and 10-11 were his best seasons since before the lockout.
Ya fair point.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Sheldon Souray in the only real healthy season he played here was pretty good:

81gp - 23g -30a - 53pts

It's such a shame on how that all played out. I remember the contract signing news conference. Souray was so excited to sign. He was the one home town kid who came home to play for the Oilers. I think it was Lowe's/Tambo's handling of souray that really soured any good ufa from wanting to sign here and got us to the top of every ntc.

Last edited:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I think it was Lowe's/Tambo's handling of sour that really soured any good ufa from wanting to sign here and got us to the top of every ntc.

Yeah, it was so terrible how they handled things. But I'd say the Souray debacle was more the final nail in the coffin / the extra cherry on top...

Cause the Oilers had already been shunned so many times before then. The "exodus" after the 2006 run (obviously Pronger, but also Pecca, Samsonov, Spacek), Nylander signing and then not (2007), Jagr choosing KHL Omsk over the Oilers (2008), Heatley nixing the trade for Penner, Hossa leaving way more money on the table to sign with Detroit (2009), etc. etc. etc.
The Oilers were already an unpopular destination. The dumb and dumber show from management just made that bad situation even worse.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

Simpson was done. He only played 46 more games

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mike Comrie. Not one hit or anything like that but comes from an absolutely forgotten time, turn of century, when he was the next hope, the kid that could be a wizard, and the first of a slew of young kids the club would hope to spin them out of the doldrums. Comrie started off good, but started to be Comrie, and 3yrs later the dream here was done, was a pretty hated player here, and I can't even remember all that went on. This was the first player that the Oilers braintrust really nailed on. Lots of controversy with this one, and with a big trade that could have happened.

I don't even remember the circumstance of how the player retired. I faintly remember he had all the Brick bucks anyway and never needed to be playing. The whole saga was strange. Almost ended his career here too, unceremoniously part 2. Did the oilers bring him back just to kick him in the junk one more time. My memory is foggy this morn.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Comrie was good his whole first stint here, but it was his off ice antics that rubbed guys the wrong way.

Could've had Perry and a 1st for him, but Lowe asked for Comrie to repay a bunch of money.

Ana first ended up being Smid. Not sure who we would've taken, as there were a lot of misses that year so no guarantee we ended up with that great of a pick.

With that all being said Woywitka was a big local d-man with similar draft pedigree to Perry. We also ended up with Schremp at the draft who many were happy about. The summer of 2004 I don't think many were upset with the Comrie trade.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Slats was on a roll....:laugh:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Mike Comrie. Not one hit or anything like that but comes from an absolutely forgotten time, turn of century, when he was the next hope, the kid that could be a wizard, and the first of a slew of young kids the club would hope to spin them out of the doldrums. Comrie started off good, but started to be Comrie, and 3yrs later the dream here was done, was a pretty hated player here, and I can't even remember all that went on. This was the first player that the Oilers braintrust really nailed on. Lots of controversy with this one, and with a big trade that could have happened.

I don't even remember the circumstance of how the player retired. I faintly remember he had all the Brick bucks anyway and never needed to be playing. The whole saga was strange. Almost ended his career here too, unceremoniously part 2. Did the oilers bring him back just to kick him in the junk one more time. My memory is foggy this morn.
Plus he was boinking Hillary Duff, who had a few bucks herself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad