Proposal: Oilers off season moves

GoingInDrai

GoingInDrai89
Feb 10, 2019
First deal (already been posted but needs to happen to facilitate second trade)
To Ott:
Russell 4mil x 1 year (1.5mil actual salary)
#14 pick
To Edm:
#22 pick
#46 pick

To Arizona:
RNH 6 mil x 1 year (next deal likely 7x7, in that range)
Klefbom 4.6 mil x 3 years
Samorukov entry level
Ottawa's #46 pick
Edmontons #82 pick

To Edm:
OEL 8.25 mil x 7 years
Dvorak 4.45 mil x 5 years
Raanta 4.25 mil x 1 year
#110 pick
Next year's 3rd rd pick

Oilers get their true #1 dman, a cost controlled top 6 winger or 3rd line center and a good tandem goalie option, and by subtracting Russell and Smith they only add around 500k in salary and fill two holes while taking a downgrade in another. Arizona gets about 6.5 million in cap space to resign Hall or a Hoffman or Dadonov etc etc and will need a free agent goalie as well, also they get relevant picks this year and a very exciting D prospect in Samorukov, i feel he is expendable being behind Broberg and Bouchard and the emergence of Bear and Jones.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I've read that the Oilers are in talks with Ottawa but about AA, not Russell.

I reeeeeeally don't think we need another OEL to Oilers thread.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I’d rather not do that tbh. Now if that was Kuemper in the trade I’d think twice.

At the moment the downgrade from Nuge to Dvorak is bigger than the upgrade from Klef to OEL.

Reactions: DarthProbert

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't see how an expiring contract is an attractive piece for AZ in a trade for OEL and Dvorak. They don't even get a first back.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
That Arizona deal is straight up awful.

Considering last season, current trajectory, contract, I wouldn't trade Klefbom for OEL straight up. Over reacting from one playoff series to dump Klefbom is pretty stupid.

Then you have the downgrade on Nuge to Dvorak, downgrade on picks, having a goalie tandem making over $8 million with neither goalie being a proven number 1 and dealing a prospect from the Oilers.

IMO... hot garbage.

First deal, I'd do.

Reactions: spaghtti

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I still like something around Matt Murray and Adam Larsson for both clubs.

Murray + McCann for Larsson + Puljujarvi?

Maybe EDM adds a conditional pick based on JP’s performance/games played

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m not sure OEL changes much for Edmonton. They’re better off standing pat that making that deal.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
First deal (already been posted but needs to happen to facilitate second trade)
To Ott:
Russell 4mil x 1 year (1.5mil actual salary)
#14 pick
To Edm:
#22 pick
#46 pick

To Arizona:
RNH 6 mil x 1 year (next deal likely 7x7, in that range)
Klefbom 4.6 mil x 3 years
Samorukov entry level
Ottawa's #46 pick
Edmontons #82 pick

To Edm:
OEL 8.25 mil x 7 years
Dvorak 4.45 mil x 5 years
Raanta 4.25 mil x 1 year
#110 pick
Next year's 3rd rd pick

Oilers get their true #1 dman, a cost controlled top 6 winger or 3rd line center and a good tandem goalie option, and by subtracting Russell and Smith they only add around 500k in salary and fill two holes while taking a downgrade in another. Arizona gets about 6.5 million in cap space to resign Hall or a Hoffman or Dadonov etc etc and will need a free agent goalie as well, also they get relevant picks this year and a very exciting D prospect in Samorukov, i feel he is expendable being behind Broberg and Bouchard and the emergence of Bear and Jones.

Hard pass on the deal with Arizona

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Coyotes currently don't own next year's 3rd round pick. As a disheartened Coyotes fan, I don't like the idea of trading Dvorak.
ATM, I would hope the priority is a new GM, coaching staff, and scouting department before any trades are made.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Any team willing to take on 4M in cap is going to be getting a lot of phone calls this offseason. I would guess that it will cost a late 1st or a 2nd to make the dump. Taking Ottawa's one of Ottawa's picks out of the deal would make it more feasible IMO.

Then again Melnyk is incredibly cheap so maybe he'll prioritize the pure cash savings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad