Oilers lose 9th straight: 4-1 to Calgary

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
I'd keep Hall, RNH, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin, Fayne, Gordon, Pouliot, and Hendricks.

Keep our best player, our best assets up the middle, and our only strong point in the system right now at D.

Right now we have a glut of wingers and the worst center depth in the NHL.

Chances are we end up drafting top 2, get a center, then we start to have something to build around up the middle. Trade from our strength on wing to help the D out now, and in net.

If you are going to build a team to win with your strength in one area you sure as hell don't do it on the wing.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm going to keep on watching. What else can you do? I could never be a fan of another team and I'm not going to stop watching hockey altogether. I will say though that there are very few players on this team that I really like anymore. So I'm really kind of cheering for the brand at this point. Which makes me sound like a putz I realize given that I strongly disapprove of the way the brand is run and don't care much for the owner. Oh well.

You obviously have the internet; that means you have access to hockey.
I've been a fan of this team since the WHA days and I've NEVER felt the way I do about them at any point in the past. Even after the Gretzky trade when everybody hated Pocklington with a passion I still enthusiastically supported them. Same with the early to mid nineties when they weren't very competitive. Every year you crossed your fingers and hoped they'd be better.

This year I actively hope this team loses and genuinely feel disappointed when they win. I would never have imagined I could ever feel this way about MY team. It has nothing to do with McEichel either. I'm long past the point where I think 18 year old kids will help this team any time soon.

I'm just disgusted with everything that's gone on here over the last severals season. The owner holding the city hostage over a new arena, the intentional losing, the insanely high ticket prices, players making millions and not caring how they perform, the inept and combative management... I could go on.

This team stopped bringing any enjoyment to its fans a long time ago and I stopped caring about them. I Wouldn't have believed it to be possible but it happened. I only watch out of habit now.

PeterTZ

Fr Crosby's hm town
Dec 10, 2014
Edmonton
at this point i want us to finsh last and lose the lottery, show managment its not a viable strategy. Rebuilds are more than sucking for the top pick, you actually have to pick the right players and build a team that compliments each other. Did anyone else not see this when we picked yak? last thing we needed.

Problem is, with 2 nearly equal top draft picks this year, even if we don't 'win' the first overall, we get second overall automatically. That's the last time this can happen, so the MacT/Lowe strategy will end this year.

But I'm betting McDavid will opt to not sign and stay in Jr till we trade his rights.
That Eichel will not sign and stay in College till we trade his rights.

I don't expect we'll see either in an Oilers Jersey. McDavid has said several times he doesn't want to play on a team that tanked to get him and how could you conclude anything else with this season.

McEichel has commented he'd stay in College unless he gets a signing he wants.

Big problem with this is, if Katz doesn't clean house ASAP, then we have Lowe and MacT doing the trading of their rights. No way they will do as well as the Nordiques did (Lindros) to build an SC winner (Avalanche) within a couple years.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They should fire Nolan and hire Eakins. Actually...If Pegula wants to secure himself 30th wipe out his front office and bring in Lowe/MacT and Howson.
It's hard for me to accept that Buffalo is really trying to tank when they hired Ted Nolan as coach. He always gets 100% effort from his team's regardless of how bad they are.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Why? Fill a hole by making new one's. A Kevin Lowe speciality.

You're not necessarily making new holes but rather evening out the balance of the roster. If you're heavy on wingers and light on centers then it makes sense to try and move one to help the other.

Besides, whats the alternative? Trade no one and fix nothing? Thats Kevin Lowe's true speciality and look at it's current glorious results!

And the draft isnt really an option. If no one past the first round has come through in the last few years then it doesnt seem realistic to think that despite having made no changes to scouting or management that the results are all of a sudden going to change. Thats basically believing in magic.

Oct 15, 2008
You're not necessarily making new holes but rather evening out the balance of the roster. If you're heavy on wingers and light on centers then it makes sense to try and move one to help the other.

Besides, whats the alternative? Trade no one and fix nothing? Thats Kevin Lowe's true speciality and look at it's current glorious results!

And the draft isnt really an option. If no one past the first round has come through in the last few years then it doesnt seem realistic to think that despite having made no changes to scouting or management that the results are all of a sudden going to change. Thats basically believing in magic.

You trade Hall and Eberle then who's left to play wing?

Not much and next to nobody, that's who.

Fact is we arent loaded at any position sadly. Whoever takes over this tire fire will have their work cut out for them that's for sure.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
You trade Hall and Eberle then who's left to play wing?

Not much and next to nobody, that's who.

Fact is we arent loaded at any position sadly. Whoever takes over this tire fire will have their work cut out for them that's for sure.

This is really the crux of the matter. There isnt an abundance of talent in any position and that makes the whole thing a disaster.

There isnt even a ton of muckers and grinders, the dime-a-dozen type of guy. The whole thing is a mess.

Jun 9, 2011
Anyone else kinda numb? Like they aren't really invested in the Oilers as much. Still my team, but this could end 'not with a bang, but a whimper'. T.S. Eliot

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Anyone else kinda numb? Like they aren't really invested in the Oilers as much. Still my team, but this could end 'not with a bang, but a whimper'. T.S. Eliot

I definately am. Its brutal being an Oilers fan right now. I've considered switiching teams but I just can't do it. The fact that they are the "Edmonton" Oilers cheering for another team just feels wrong like i've turned against my own people :laugh: dumb but its the truth :help:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A Christmas break is exactly what this team needed Hall said. A time to get away is exactly what the team needed.

Hall and the Oilers respond by being completely non competitive and going down 3-0 in the first 8minutes of the first game back in the *BOA*.

Followed by ensuing laughter and checking for a pulse.

Just shut up Taylor Swift.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Most people are just waiting for management to get wiped out I think. That's the only thing the Oilers can do now that would actually make it acceptable to fans to be patient again for things to turn around.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Most people are just waiting for management to get wiped out I think. That's the only thing the Oilers can do now that would actually make it acceptable to fans to be patient again for things to turn around.

They'll probably still suck for a few years (maybe even another lost decade) after the management is gutted.

The Oilers find a way ...

Pompous-Malcolm.png

Ergot

Pinko
Oct 4, 2014
GVA
I'm reading the Buffalo tank thread. They've literally given up on drafting McDavid or Eichel since 29th place has a 2/3 chance of dropping to 3rd overall.

...and they thought they knew how to lose. NO ONE outsucks the masters.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
These idiots don't deserve the privilege of trading anyone. No trades until we have someone competent to make them. That includes the POHO, GM, Senior VP of Hockey Operations, any assistant GM that hasn't been promoted yet, whoever is in player development, every amateur and pro scout, every single coach (intern, head, GM kinda-sorta, assistant, associate, goaltender, video, skating, strength, and life) and Bucky - what ever the hell he's doing right now he needs to stop. THEN we can start looking for the best available person to fill these roles and not necessarily the guy who is closest to you in the room when a vacancy opens up. You know, like interviews and stuff.

Honestly though, I don't want anyone who might be useful traded until we have a chance to see them work for a well run organization.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
I feel the same way too. On the one hand I desperately want something to be done, but on the other hand I do not trust these incompetent clowns to do anything right. If the MacT/Lowe/Howson group make a major trade, you just know that the player we deal is going to break out and the player we get in return is going to be playing in the Sahara Sand League in 2 years.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I feel the same way too. On the one hand I desperately want something to be done, but on the other hand I do not trust these incompetent clowns to do anything right. If the MacT/Lowe/Howson group make a major trade, you just know that the player we deal is going to break out and the player we get in return is going to be playing in the Sahara Sand League in 2 years.

Its quite obvious nobody should have the faith in these clowns, and rightfully so. Nobody would want a group of failures to do something all over again such as a rebuild, when they have failed miserably.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
This is really the crux of the matter. There isnt an abundance of talent in any position and that makes the whole thing a disaster.

There isnt even a ton of muckers and grinders, the dime-a-dozen type of guy. The whole thing is a mess.

That's because drafting and player development are not about the 1st round. And it can't be fixed by trading players. Flushing the management, scouting and player development personnel down the toilet is what's needed to fix the problem.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Oh the other hand, we endlessly complain about a total lack of hockey management experience inside of the Oilers organization, but as we stand on the precipice of rebuild #3 there is no one with more rebuild experience that the Edmonton Oilers.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
The sad reality for me is I believe a few players have been damaged beyond repair, and will have to reset their careers somewhere else. This amount of losing... the way they lose, the drama and gongshow surrounding the team.... I can't believe this is going to work out well anymore. Not trying to be over dramatic, you can see it on the players faces. How many guys have already checked out and just don't care anymore, virtually about anything.

Ogopogo*

What has he brought to the team exactly? I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him turfed if MacT and co. get the axe.

Dellow is worthless. I suspect his BS Corsi wisdom helped bring us such elite-level talent as Benoit Pouliot, Nikita Nikitin and Teddy Purcell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad