Oilers lose 9th straight: 4-1 to Calgary

Ogopogo*

He is a good defenceman, and will only become better. I suppose we can start all over again with another rookie.

Petry is far from the problem the Oilers have.

What the hell is your definition of good? Every freaking game he hands the puck to an opponent in front of our net. He never creates offense and gets caught out of position regularly. If that's good, no wonder we suck so bad.

Bloody hell. We have sucked so long, people can't even recognize incompetence anymore.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
What the hell is your definition of good? Every freaking game he hands the puck to an opponent in front of our net. He never creates offense and gets caught out of position regularly. If that's good, no wonder we suck so bad.

Bloody hell. We have sucked so long, people can't even recognize incompetence anymore.

Um hes actually our best defense man. I know thats not saying a lot but its a fact.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Jets fan here coming in peace. Question for all of you. Do you think theres any malice /intentional negligence with the management or is it juts pure incompetence with good intentions? As much as I'm jets fan who often saw my team get clobbered by you guys back in the 80s, it pains me to see what happening to your team right now. No fan base deserves this. Its sad to think that people who were part of the legendary 80s years -Lowe; MacTavish could let this happen.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Jets fan here coming in peace. Question for all of you. Do you think theres any malice /intentional negligence with the management or is it juts pure incompetence with good intentions? As much as I'm jets fan who often saw my team get clobbered by you guys back in the 80s, it pains me to see what happening to your team right now. No fan base deserves this. Its sad to think that people who were part of the legendary 80s years -Lowe; MacTavish could let this happen.

Pure incompetence. If this was race, they are so far behind everybody that they think they're in first place.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Pure incompetence. If this was race, they are so far behind everybody that they think they're in first place.

Exactly,

Think of it like Mario Kart. We come in last every race, and we get unreal items to use, but we don't properly use them. Bullet Bill? Charges right off the edge of the map.... Blue shell? Somehow comes back hit our own kart. Golden star? Doesn't matter, so far behind we can't catch up to 7th place no matter how long we have the star.

I think i'm gonna go play mario kart

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hard to answer that question properly. This has been debated to death on here. Some think this was intentionally done (does that suggest malice or intentional negligence?) not only to try and get Macdavid this year but also for the 3 first overalls that we already have. Some suspect this team was trying to win and ended up where they were due to sheer incompetence. The team spent close to the cap for the 2009-10 season and for this season. That suggests complete incompetence. Tambellini did nothing to improve the roster his entire time here, I'd call that intentional negligence.

Whatever the truth is doesn't matter anymore. The fans are sick of this garbage now and want everybody who played any part in it gone. There is no more confidence left in anybody in this organization to grant them anymore patience. Most people can see now that this is going to take several years to fix and don't want to waste anymore time on anybody who has been involved.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
3%2BStooges.jpg
wheres the oilers version of shemp?

url9.jpg

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
I've been a fan of this team since the WHA days and I've NEVER felt the way I do about them at any point in the past. Even after the Gretzky trade when everybody hated Pocklington with a passion I still enthusiastically supported them. Same with the early to mid nineties when they weren't very competitive. Every year you crossed your fingers and hoped they'd be better.

This year I actively hope this team loses and genuinely feel disappointed when they win. I would never have imagined I could ever feel this way about MY team. It has nothing to do with McEichel either. I'm long past the point where I think 18 year old kids will help this team any time soon.

I'm just disgusted with everything that's gone on here over the last severals season. The owner holding the city hostage over a new arena, the intentional losing, the insanely high ticket prices, players making millions and not caring how they perform, the inept and combative management... I could go on.

This team stopped bringing any enjoyment to its fans a long time ago and I stopped caring about them. I Wouldn't have believed it to be possible but it happened. I only watch out of habit now.
maybe it might have been better if katz just moved the team to a american city, like las vegas and saved oiler fans some grief.....

it seems all of these american sun belt teams are doing way better than the canadian ones....

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Well if he is the most incompetent one in your opinion, what do we do with the other 6 dmen?

Please name the dmen in order from best to worst in your opinion, so we understand what you think bad and good is.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
Dellow is worthless. I suspect his BS Corsi wisdom helped bring us such elite-level talent as Benoit Pouliot, Nikita Nikitin and Teddy Purcell.

actually i believe dellow was very vocal against the signing of nikitin, as it happened before he was hired on by the oilers

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Um hes actually our best defense man. I know thats not saying a lot but its a fact.

I personally think people mistake talent for competence when it comes to Petry. Just because he SHOULD be our best defenseman does not mean he IS our best defenseman. There is a reason why you don't see Fayne with a critical giveaway leading to a goal each game... It's because he has attributes that Petry will never have... He can concentrate under pressure and he plays a safe game within his means.

Petry is just a talented Spaz and with respect to our past Dman with that nickname, Petry plays with a tiny fraction of the heart

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
So what the hell happened to Joensuu??? He's on loan? why? Was he a cancer or something?

Remember that 4th line we used to have? yeah, I want that back.
Take Pinizotto out, or plug him somewhere else.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
So what the hell happened to Joensuu??? He's on loan? why? Was he a cancer or something?

He played well for 10 games, and then completely disappeared - which is the story of his career, unfortunately

Take Pinizotto out, or plug him somewhere else.

Pinizotto has been waived today, and we claimed Matt Fraser off waivers from Boston

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
well Joensuu was on the fourth and still hitting at least. I don't know what the Brass expects of our role players, it's our "stars" that need to get benched not the guys in the trenches.

Yeah saw that. Hunt needs to go next.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Oh the other hand, we endlessly complain about a total lack of hockey management experience inside of the Oilers organization, but as we stand on the precipice of rebuild #3 there is no one with more rebuild experience that the Edmonton Oilers.
No one with more rebuild attempts.

You know, it's so much easier hating on a team when they are good. I HATED the Oilers growing up as a Flames fan how could I not. But now, can't dredge up even a single bit of dislike I just feel sorry for Oilers fans. The situation is so absurd it is beyond comprehension, something has to give. BTW I cheered for the Oilers in 2006 you guys should have won the Cup and would have if Roloson had not gone down.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009

Combination of both. They were bad at building a team (but wanted marketable stars) so decided it was too difficult and went hard at 1st overall in the draft ("build through the draft" was the new motto). The thinking through this was that at some point we would fire Tambellini (the pretend GM) and flip a switch to start winning again.

Apparently there's more to winning in the NHL than deciding you want to again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad