Oilers lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It needs to be retweaked. I also still don't understand how a player that dives will get him and the other opposing player that didn't even trip him in the first place will both get penalties.
The NHL has been doing this for 15-20 years. I remember reacting the same way you are the first time I saw them do it too. I remember thinking it's either a penalty or a dive, how can it be both? The league has their own logic regarding it though and I'm so used to these double calls that I don't bat an eye at them anymore.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
But the team isn't learning anything. McLellan basically said the only way the Oilers start to play with intensity is when they fall behind. That's not how hockey works.

Bs. The team is clearly playing better. Improving slower than we had hoped does not equate not learning anything.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Then maybe they should stop taking first periods off.

As I suggested earlier in the season...turning around the losing culture that exists in the locker room is not accomplished in 15 games.
Poor mental habits and defeatist thinking is very difficult to change.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
The core needs to be better. Last night RNH was on ice for the first 3 Hawks goals that decided this game. He would be -3 on the night were it not for the meaningless Sekera goal late in the game.

RNH lost checks and battles several times in the game and including in the first minute on the first goal.

In post game interviews he talks (once again) about the team needing to be prepared to start playing the games from the start. That the team needs to learn to do that.

Wait, what?
You have to learn that good teams impose their will on games from the first shift? This is drummed into you at every level of hockey you ever played.

Next this is a game in Chicago in the Madhouse. By nature you need to dial up quick or get blown away. This is a known for any club and certainly for this one. How many years of learning the same thing are required?

Heres an idea. Pregame skates are designed and meant for players to gear up to speed so that they are ready to hit the ground running on their fist shift. You aren't supposed to be stretching out your legs and getting kinks out in first shifts of professional NHL games.

Weak starts are killing this club. This has been the case for countless games this season.

The core, who start seasons slow, and start games slow are a key reason this club isn't jumping out of the gate better. They are a key reason this club doesn't get momentum and start out in positive directions. Something in the nature of this core, as Mclellan has suggested seems to need to be behind before they start playing well. This is a real problem that Oilers fans have been seeing for years.

Oh, and Patrick Kane has been stealing this teams lunch money for years. Theres no team in the league he does better against.

These guys are elite athletes, getting paid million's of dollars per year...

When it is game time, you should be at 100 or 110 percent percent..

Those of us that "work" for a living or have employees working for them, would not put up with..I'll be fine after first coffee...

Every player should be game ready ,when the puck drops..If not, we have a problem...

Gambl0r83*

We can't trade RNH while McDavid is injured, and we can't trade him while Lander and Letestu are our bottom 6 centers, and we can't trade him without getting another center in return.

RNH + Letestu/Lander + Fayne + Talbot for Dubinsky + Bobrovsky + Hartnell + Murray

That's the kind of trade we need to blow this **** up.

Gross

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
As I suggested earlier in the season...turning around the losing culture that exists in the locker room is not accomplished in 15 games.
Poor mental habits and defeatist thinking is very difficult to change.

Well either they start it up quick before they start going through the motions again.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well either they start it up quick before they start going through the motions again.

This team wasnt going to make the playoffs. They are simply not better than 10 other Western conference teams much less 8.

Turning around years and years of losing is going to require a lot of work and it may likely involve a major trade.
I happen to believe that Chialelli and McLellan are the right people to accomplish this task.
Having said that I also understand its not going to happen quickly.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This team wasnt going to make the playoffs. They are simply not better than 10 other Western conference teams much less 8.

Turning around years and years of losing is going to require a lot of work and it may likely involve a major trade.
I happen to believe that Chialelli and McLellan are the right people to accomplish this task.
Having said that I also understand its not going to happen quickly.

I think we all understand that but another last place finish is inexcusable for this team. Yes they lost McDavid but nobody has stepped up and that to me says more about this team than anything else.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think we all understand that but another last place finish is inexcusable for this team. Yes they lost McDavid but nobody has stepped up and that to me says more about this team than anything else.

I agree that a last place finish is unacceptable. So is a bottom 5 finish.

15 games is simply not a big enough sample size the start worrying about that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I agree that a last place finish is unacceptable. So is a bottom 5 finish.

15 games is simply not a big enough sample size the start worrying about that.

Well unfortunately there are no easy games, especially not for this team. I'd love to see them go out and punk Anaheim, Arizona, and the Kings but logic dictates that just the opposite will happen...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well unfortunately there are no easy games, especially not for this team. I'd love to see them go out and punk Anaheim, Arizona, and the Kings but logic dictates that just the opposite will happen...

Wait until game 40.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter

They don't stand a chance in hell against the Kings.

Arizona and Anaheim are two very mediocre teams though. No excuse to miss out on points there.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They don't stand a chance in hell against the Kings.

Arizona and Anaheim are two very mediocre teams though. No excuse to miss out on points there.

Not exactly teams the Oilers have enjoyed success against recently. In fact they beat the Kings more than the other two combined last year.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Wait until game 40.

I agree that is when we will get an accurate representation of the team and whether or not they are making significant progress or are in need of some serious changes to the roster.

I'm thinking by then we will see more consistent efforts and we will start stealing some of those points back we've been leaving on the table. Mix in a McDavid return probably not long after and this team should have a strong second half. not enough to make the playoffs but we will climb back into respectability.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I said it many times before the season started ... this team would start slow. New coach, too many inexperienced D, etc. etc.

They will play better in the 2nd half of the year.

If you were seriously expecting them to be a playoff contending wall to wall this season, your expectations were simply out of wack.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree that is when we will get an accurate representation of the team and whether or not they are making significant progress or are in need of some serious changes to the roster.

I'm thinking by then we will see more consistent efforts and we will start stealing some of those points back we've been leaving on the table. Mix in a McDavid return probably not long after and this team should have a strong second half. not enough to make the playoffs but we will climb back into respectability.

Quite honestly I think this team is very close to being a .500 team or better right now. Even in the games so far they are a couple of bad bounces away from being 7-8 or even 8-7.

The biggest hurdle facing them right now is between their ears.

If McLellan can sort that out and Chiarelli can make a roster improvement followed up by a McDavid return then this team will provide a much better representation of who and what they are.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Not exactly teams the Oilers have enjoyed success against recently. In fact they beat the Kings more than the other two combined last year.

That is true. One has to wonder why the Coyotes give them such a problem, seemed like every team in the league except the Oilers beat them last year. I think we scrape together at least a point on the Ducks.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Horcoff's top 3 producing seasons: 73, 53, 51 = 177
RNH top 3 producing seasons: 56, 56, 52 = 164

Horcoff's top 3 producing seasons, adjusted to 2014-2015 averages: 64, 50, 47 = 161
RNH top 3 producing seasons, adjusted to 2014-2015 averages: 56, 56, 52 = 164

Horcoff's peak goal scoring: 22
RNH peak goal scoring: 24

Horcoff didn't score above 40 points until his 5th year in the NHL.
RNH has 3 50+ point seasons in his first 4 years and is now only entering his 5th season.

I wouldn't say Horcoff is a better point producer, especially when you account for point deflation over time.

They also had different starting points.

Nobody ever gave Horcoff anything, he had to earn every second of ice time he ever got....

Which is ironic based on the hate on for Horcoff around oiler fans...

That said, I am an RNH fan. I think he can be a better player then Horcoff, and that is saying quite abit.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Quite honestly I think this team is very close to being a .500 team or better right now. Even in the games so far they are a couple of bad bounces away from being 7-8 or even 8-7.

The biggest hurdle facing them right now is between their ears.

If McLellan can sort that out and Chiarelli can make a roster improvement followed up by a McDavid return then this team will provide a much better representation of who and what they are.

Agreed, they have the horses, they just need to do it until it comes natural.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Wait until game 40.

Half a season is too long. If the team still isn't getting it or players have started to mail it in by the end of November, Chiarelli needs to make a move.

I accepted that it was going to take time to turn this around, but Chia's unwillingness to buy out some of the crap on the roster and bring in a cheap, mid-tier free agent defenceman the past off-season is a strike against him if the Oilers finish bottom 5.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Half a season is too long. If the team still isn't getting it or players have started to mail it in by the end of November, Chiarelli needs to make a move.

I accepted that it was going to take time to turn this around, but Chia's unwillingness to buy out some of the crap on the roster and bring in a cheap, mid-tier free agent defenceman the past off-season is a strike against him if the Oilers finish bottom 5.

I guess he wanted to give everyone a fair chance. He did say it was going to be a "look to see what we have first" type of season and he seems to be sticking by that so far in this young season.

Oct 15, 2008
They also had different starting points.

Nobody ever gave Horcoff anything, he had to earn every second of ice time he ever got....

Which is ironic based on the hate on for Horcoff around oiler fans...

That said, I am an RNH fan. I think he can be a better player then Horcoff, and that is saying quite abit.

Horcoff had to earn his ice time? Now Ive heard everything. He was getting first line minutes and top pp unit whether they were earned or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad