Oilers lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Horcoff had to earn his ice time? Now Ive heard everything. He was getting first line minutes and top pp unit whether they were earned or not.

He had to earn his ice time when he first broke into the league - He was sent down to the AHL when he first came out of MSU and when he was called up, he started off on the 4th line behind Weight, Comrie and Marchant.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Half a season is too long. If the team still isn't getting it or players have started to mail it in by the end of November, Chiarelli needs to make a move.

I accepted that it was going to take time to turn this around, but Chia's unwillingness to buy out some of the crap on the roster and bring in a cheap, mid-tier free agent defenceman the past off-season is a strike against him if the Oilers finish bottom 5.

If he bought out guys like Nikitin and Purcell we would of been dealing with part of their cap for another two years instead of just this season. Same with Ferrence except it would of been 4 year, it was the smarter decision to see if they could be somewhat useful and try and move them for anything he can get at some point during the season.

As for 40 games being too long, this team was a borderline AHL team, it doesn't just turn around over night, to my eye they are playing better overall with some poorly timed mistakes costing us some points. Other then that they are much better compared to last years on ice product. It takes time to develop consistency but once they do the wins will come.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Horcoff took 5 nhl years to produce at a level higher than RNH. The first year he produced well was the 05-06 season. Then 3 50+ point seasons And then cell off a cliff.

Horcoff was drafted in 98 and didn't have a good season till 05-06.

And the only reason he had a good season in 05/06 was becasue of having a hall-of-famer on the back end. So that season can be thrown out as an anomaly.

You know who else has career seasons that year? Hemsky, Stoll, Torres, Bergeron and Pisani. Smyth had his 2nd best season ever. What a difference having a #1 dman makes, huh?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If he bought out guys like Nikitin and Purcell we would of been dealing with part of their cap for another two years instead of just this season. Same with Ferrence except it would of been 4 year, it was the smarter decision to see if they could be somewhat useful and try and move them for anything he can get at some point during the season.

As for 40 games being too long, this team was a borderline AHL team, it doesn't just turn around over night, to my eye they are playing better overall with some poorly timed mistakes costing us some points. Other then that they are much better compared to last years on ice product. It takes time to develop consistency but once they do the wins will come.

I agree on Ference, but the team doesn't need the cap space this year or next, and I would take the extra few million in cap hit for next year if it gave the team the possibility of making the playoffs.

This team had no shot at the playoffs as constructed at the beginning of the year, and most people knew it. I'm not advocating taking on long term contracts, but as an example, buying out Nikitin and signing Ehrhoff or Franson to a 2 year deal would have cost the team the exact same cap hit this season and would have resulted in a penalty of only one million next season.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
And the only reason he had a good season in 05/06 was becasue of having a hall-of-famer on the back end. So that season can be thrown out as an anomaly.

You know who else has career seasons that year? Hemsky, Stoll, Torres, Bergeron and Pisani. Smyth had his 2nd best season ever. What a difference having a #1 dman makes, huh?

It's because of the massive scoring surge league wide that year. Some other players that registered career highs that year: Thornton, E. Staal, Alfredsson, Savard, Kovalchuk, Cheechoo (lol) and Lidstrom. Putting it all on Pronger is overstating his impact.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I agree on Ference, but the team doesn't need the cap space this year or next, and I would take the extra few million in cap hit for next year if it gave the team the possibility of making the playoffs.

This team had no shot at the playoffs as constructed at the beginning of the year, and most people knew it. I'm not advocating taking on long term contracts, but as an example, buying out Nikitin and signing Ehrhoff or Franson to a 2 year deal would have cost the team the exact same cap hit this season and would have resulted in a penalty of only one million next season.

It would be 1.5M, may not seem like a huge deal but with over half the teams working in LTIR or being within 1M of the cap, every dollar helps.

Who's to say Chia didn't try? Maybe he buys them out and then strikes out on those UFA's cause they had no interest in coming to Edmonton. Now we are carrying around extra cap for an extra year for no reason, when the alternative is to keep these guys for the year and maybe they can be semi useful players and you can get a late pick out of them at the deadline, worse comes to worse they are gone at the end of the season.

As much as people hate to hear it, playoffs we're never going to be an option this season regardless of what realistic moves would of been made. This was a season for incoming management and coaching staff to evaluate the roster, and lay groundwork. Any deals made for mediocre players that might have giving us a slight bump would likely handcuff us if and when a deal for a difference maker became available.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Oh. Interesting thread now. I see we've reverted to talking about the "good old days". How about that Gretzky fellow......heh!

:naughty::sarcasm::popcorn:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
It's because of the massive scoring surge league wide that year. Some other players that registered career highs that year: Thornton, E. Staal, Alfredsson, Savard, Kovalchuk, Cheechoo (lol) and Lidstrom. Putting it all on Pronger is overstating his impact.

Yeah, good point.

Which further adds to the fact that stats from that season should be taken with a grain of salt.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Horcoff had to earn his ice time? Now Ive heard everything. He was getting first line minutes and top pp unit whether they were earned or not.
Yah I'm sure there was no history prior to him being massively overpaid. He did earn his spot with the Oilers but unfortunately didn't do too much to keep it.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

It wasn't only that. It was the rule changes too. And having everyone healthy and in their primes essentially. 'Twas a perfect storm.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

You really think the coaches were cutting their own necks and getting fired to feed Horcoff minutes?

Well like I said, the hate around here for Horcoff is hard to fathom.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

All players play better with better plays around them....

Oct 15, 2008

You really think the coaches were cutting their own necks and getting fired to feed Horcoff minutes?

Well like I said, the hate around here for Horcoff is hard to fathom.

No but the coach had his head so far up Horcoff's posterior there was no earning anything. Horcoff was a 2nd line center for a little while but a 3rd line center for most of his time here. Regardless he played on the first line anyway. Suggesting he earned his minutes is preposturous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad