Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-0 to the Kings.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Being shut out in 1/6th of our home games, losing by 3 goals or more in 1/3rd of our games, being completely out of 50% of the games before the halfway point....

Didn't you watch any of the games? Losing a back and forth 3-2 game is one thing, losing like these Oilers lose is a completely different story. A lot of this **** is unwatchable.

Also 13 shorthanded goals and a stubborn determination to employ 1 D configurations or having forwards play the point on the PP.

Anybody that watched both the Calgary performance and the back to back Edmonton performance should be absolutely disgusted at the lack of compete of this team. Which starts from the top and emanates through the org. The basic difference being a sense of culpability, responsibility, and expectation of doing your best in Calgary and no such expectation here where jobs are just next to guaranteed.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
Sooo.... thats 1 out of every 6 home games this year the Oilers were shut out?
Kind of like a russian roullette for Tier 1 fans when deciding which game to go to...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sooo.... thats 1 out of every 6 home games this year the Oilers were shut out?
Kind of like a russian roullette for Tier 1 fans when deciding which game to go to...

Went to 5 games this year. In not one of them did the Oilers play well even though they won one of those games. Against Carolina, in OT after a complete collapse and giving up a 3 goal lead.

This club has been an unmitigated disaster at home in front of paying fans. With apparently not the simplest concept of what it means to pay a professional game to people that pay dearly to watch.

The shutouts just represent some of the lower ebb of how deeply this team thinks its OK to sink. Last night this club competed for 1 period of hockey at home and got 3, and 4 shots in the other two periods. Got outshot 23-3 in the 3rd. To the chorus once again of fully deserved boos. The entire period looked like an LA PP. I don't know the Oil got an offensive zone faceoff in the whole period. Looked like the ice was tilted and with LA resting guys like Doughty and Regehr for the playoffs.

How any professional athlete can play multitudes of games like that and still look in the mirror is beyond me.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
It was actually pretty painful to listen to Gord Miller describe what a sad state of affairs this team is in compared to when he covered the team in the glory years. I also cringed when he and Ferraro said it's not a quick fix, and that it'll probably get worse before it gets better. Worse than this? Maybe relegation?

Yeah, you could tell the two of them weren't really interested in a traditional broadcast of the game. I was surprised how often they were chatting about glory years, smyth, tons of other stuff too. It's pretty apparant to me that Ferraro doesn't think too highly of the Oiler "young guns". He's always ripping on them about their compete level and the flaws in their games (i.e. faceoffs, defensive zone covereage, etc.).

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yeah, you could tell the two of them weren't really interested in a traditional broadcast of the game. I was surprised how often they were chatting about glory years, smyth, tons of other stuff too. It's pretty apparant to me that Ferraro doesn't think too highly of the Oiler "young guns". He's always ripping on them about their compete level and the flaws in their games (i.e. faceoffs, defensive zone covereage, etc.).

While I fully agree with all the disparaging comments that were made that commentary was every bit as bad as the Oilers. Truly unprofessional. I think the fact all of them are out of jobs might have contributed to the lack of professionalism and there terrible attitude towards the game. They easily could have focused more on how good LA is and talked about their up coming playoff run.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
They have 2 competent bottom 6ers in Hendricks and Gordon and even those two are 4th liners ideally.
The Oilers need an entirely new 3rd line. The bottom 6 is a big problem.

The top 6 is an issue also as well as the defense, coaching, management and ownership. They pretty much need to blow up the entire organization.
It would be nice if Katz sold to an owner who wasn't a fanboy.

pretty much nailed it. Gordon's a 4th line center who kills penalties and can take imprortant defensive zone draws. If he's your 3rd line center you're in trouble because you ain't getting any offense from him.

Hall/RNH/Eberle have moments of flash, especially against teams they match up well against, but I can't see them being effective over the long haul of a season. Still think they need a big body on the 1st and 2nd line. Perron's the only one I'd keep on the 2nd. Gagner and Yak trade bait. Hopefully, Yak can start the season well to increase his value but I'd still move him for an asset we really need. So, from a forwards perspective I'm seeing a need for:
big winger that can play on 1st/2nd line
Bigger Center that can play on 1st/2nd line
3rd line center....looking at the lineup I'm thinking the 3rd line may need a total revamp because I'm not seeing anyone currently slotting into it.
4th line I'm OK with Gordon, Hendricks, and Gazdic.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
While I fully agree with all the disparaging comments that were made that commentary was every bit as bad as the Oilers. Truly unprofessional. I think the fact all of them are out of jobs might have contributed to the lack of professionalism and there terrible attitude towards the game. They easily could have focused more on how good LA is and talked about their up coming playoff run.

Continuing with the broadcast, I was pretty bummed to hear how L.A. and Anaheim (and possibly San Jose?) have a wealth of talent in their system that is close to being ready for the big leagues. Looking at the Oil's system, I don't see any forwards that I'm excited about (excluding guys still in juniors). I don't get how we've been in the bottom of the league for so long and really have no top-end forward prospects on the Barons.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005

The last thing the Oilers' org needs is another bunch of media lackeys whose main concern is sweeping any problems under the rug. We've already got a bunch of guys who refuse to ask any hard questions to anyone other than Russian players.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The last thing the Oilers' org needs is another bunch of media lackeys whose main concern is sweeping any problems under the rug. We've already got a bunch of guys who refuse to ask any hard questions to anyone other than Russian players.

Again I agree, but if you watched the game last night and listened to these guys trail off an argue over who has to watch/comment on the game and who got to go off air to look for stats about random stuff... Unprofessional is the only word for it.

They coulda woulda shoulda just focused on draft talk or the LA Kings, it's their jobs to make the game more interesting and get people to watch NHL hockey. I seriously got the impression they wanted those watching to just turn off the game and go do something else.

Sounds advice, but not their place to imply it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Again I agree, but if you watched the game last night and listened to these guys trail off an argue over who has to watch/comment on the game and who got to go off air to look for stats about random stuff... Unprofessional is the only word for it.

They coulda woulda shoulda just focused on draft talk or the LA Kings, it's their jobs to make the game more interesting and get people to watch NHL hockey. I seriously got the impression they wanted those watching to just turn off the game and go do something else.
Sounds advice, but not their place to imply it.

Interesting point. I did not agree with you until that. But listening to the commentary there was a level of disgust with the Oilers being voiced that was refreshing on one hand, but that wanted me to grab the remote on the other. It was convincing, not that I needed convincing, and I only watched the 3rd period anyway and more to see drama, jersey tossing, booing etc. Got my wish on all expected counts. Wasn't expecting to see the Oil play a hockey game. Although the Flames expectedly did a night earlier.

Miller and Ferrraro certainly seem disgusted with the Oilers. Given the insular control the Oilers have over media sources here I do like to hear the candid commentary. It was sure forthcoming. Warranted too.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Its pretty unreal how they suck so bad in the defensive zone. Everybody just watches the friggin puck and never looks back to take the guy in the slot. i dunno how many times I counted last night where LA had all these grade A chances right in the slot. Seriously **** this team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its pretty unreal how they suck so bad in the defensive zone. Everybody just watches the friggin puck and never looks back to take the guy in the slot. i dunno how many times I counted last night where LA had all these grade A chances right in the slot. Seriously **** this team.

Took 27 secs for that to materialize last night. Plus I have to ask, what on earth was RNH looking at there?

This is the young center "that plays a solid allround game"?

Where'd that notion ever come from?

Have to lol at J Schultz chasing butterflies on every GA as well. Plus that he was also on for the goal that got called back and a couple other goal posts. J SChultz, with any bad luck could've been -6 last night. Just colossally bad. What position did this guy learn to play?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Took 27 secs for that to materialize last night. Plus I have to ask, what on earth was RNH looking at there?

I looked over at my friend when that play was developing and said 'watch they're gonna score'.. and booom.. in the back of the net. My 8 yr old son in the second period said loudly to me 'Dad the Oilers suck so bad'.. which drew a huge chuckle from everybody sitting around us.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
The problems clearly are drafting and development combined with terrible free agent signings to round out the roster. No goaltending, no defence. Small skilled forwards in the top 6. That is a recipe for disaster at the AHL level nevermind the NHL level.

Other teams clean house at the management level when disasters of this magnitude strike not to mention several years in a row. Katz will probably do nothing. Lowe has a lifetime contract it seems.

No doubt. Canucks have like 2 bad years and PRESIDENT AND GM get axed. Lowe jsut keeps moving up the corporate ladder it makes me sick.

And to the dude who brought up Hemsky as the reason our kids aren't playing well are you freaking kidding me? I get that the kids have no real STARS to mentor them they had Hemsky, Horcoff and a bunch of other players that were not much good but to single out Hemsky is ridiculous. Hemsky was more of a victim of this mismanagement than the cause of all this losing.

How is it Detroit can take all these late round draft picks and make them either serviceable players or super stars and we cna't do squat with top picks. Our management is a whole new level of incompetence only bested by NYI.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
No doubt. Canucks have like 2 bad years and PRESIDENT AND GM get axed. Lowe jsut keeps moving up the corporate ladder it makes me sick.

And to the dude who brought up Hemsky as the reason our kids aren't playing well are you freaking kidding me? I get that the kids have no real STARS to mentor them they had Hemsky, Horcoff and a bunch of other players that were not much good but to single out Hemsky is ridiculous. Hemsky was more of a victim of this mismanagement than the cause of all this losing.

How is it Detroit can take all these late round draft picks and make them either serviceable players or super stars and we cna't do squat with top picks. Our management is a whole new level of incompetence only bested by NYI.

In Hemsky, you're talking about a player who once complained in the media that he was being turned into a checker by Mactavish because he was asked to take a bigger role in preventing goals.

The team is absolutely mismanaged, but Hemsky isn't the poor victim some want to make him out to be.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I was at the game, and that first goal crushed the Oilers, I think the fact that there was a pretty loud cheer for the goal totally screwed with their heads. My takes on individuals are as follows:

Jeff Petry was awful, like non-NHL level defenseman awful in this game. Puck was like a bomb on his stick when he could even get it on his stick. I saw him fan on no less then 3 easy board plays.

Hall/Nuge/Eberle all looked lost all game long. I don't know what was up with them. They would seem to just zone out on their assignments (IIRC the first goal was Nuge's man that popped that in) Taylor Hall at one point wasn't covering his defenceman and was actually right beside Fasth for about 10-12 seconds in the defensive zone.

Gagner seemed to be playing well til he got hurt (which I didn't really see happen, I was chatting to a guy next to me and glanced away for a second, didn't see what happened at all) Perron had flashes of nice play, but would do some dumb things here and there. (Although I don't think Gags is too badly hurt, they were signing stuff at the Kingsway yesterday, and I walked past them, didn't see anything on his leg)

Fasth fought the puck all night, but it's tough not to when the game is predominately in your own zone all night long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad