Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-0 ...Game Over

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Who? Gagner and Paajarvi for sure. Hall somewhat and???
Everybody else has either levelled off or regressed badly.

This.
Petry went from looking like a #2 d-man last year to looking like a #4. Eberle is hardly a game changer this season. This is Whitneys worst season of his career. Eager had nowhere to go but up at the start of the year. He still didn't. Hartikainen doesn't know his role.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hall tempest in a teapot.

So friggen what. Hall said a few things politely, probably wasn't happy about being booed but smart enough and wise enough not to say so and he's getting roundly criticized by the fanbase. I think it was maybe 5 days ago since people were noting some of Halls best games in his career and saying what a fantastic dedicated player and leader he is.

Man theres some extremes to being a fan.

Hall is fine and a player we want. Lets not forget that in the middle of Dellow's latest angry missive.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This.
Petry went from looking like a #2 d-man last year to looking like a #4. Eberle is hardly a game changer this season. This is Whitneys worst season of his career. Eager had nowhere to go but up at the start of the year. He still didn't. Hartikainen doesn't know his role.

Off the top of my head.... Smid, Petry, RNH, Eberle have all clearly regressed.
Dubnyk has levelled off. The vets outside of Horcoff and Hemsky have gotten worse which i didn't think was possible. Hall is probably better although even he seems off the last couple of games.
Even the rookies look awful compared to other top rookies and if anything Justin has regressed badly as the season has worn on. Yakupov just isn't getting any opportunity.
I can't think of any positives outside of Gagner's development (which was bound to happen at some point) and Paajarvi somewhat that Krueger has brought to this team. Not one.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

So friggen what. Hall said a few things politely, probably wasn't happy about being booed but smart enough and wise enough not to say so and he's getting roundly criticized by the fanbase. I think it was maybe 5 days ago since people were noting some of Halls best games in his career and saying what a fantastic dedicated player and leader he is.

Hall is fine and a player we want. Lets not forget that in the middle of Dellow's latest angry missive.

You mean to tell me that HFOil is blowing something out of proportion? This cannot be!

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
The Oilers are just too soft. They (for whatever reason) think they can run and gun past teams that backcheck...Instead of pulling up and cycling. The problem is they don't win enough battles in either end.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Off the top of my head.... Smid, Petry, RNH, Eberle have all clearly regressed.
Dubnyk has levelled off. The vets outside of Horcoff and Hemsky have gotten worse which i didn't think was possible.
Even the rookies look awful compared to other top rookies and if anything Justin has regressed badly as the season has worn on. Yakupov just isn't getting any opportunity.
I can't think of any positives outside of Gagner's development (which was bound to happen at some point) and Paajarvi somewhat that Krueger has brought to this team. Not one.

tbh it sounds more like a saw off they you might think. Seems almost an equivalent amount of players having good years and fallback years.

As a club there hasn't been significant regression or improvement. I do think playing exclusively against WC foes hasn't helped our cause. Also that there is no hopelessly bad teams this year that we can pad pts on. The WC is playing better hockey this year and due to shortened games and all games being more important theres less nights where opponents are taking the game off.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers are just too soft. They (for whatever reason) think they can run and gun past teams that backcheck...Instead of pulling up and cycling. The problem is they don't win enough battles in either end.

We've seen them do it at points during the regular season. Against Chicago (for one period anyway), and against the Avs. The problem is that the Blues are the last team the Oilers want to play. They just shut everyone down and lull them to sleep. Not that the Oilers did themselves any favours with plenty of missed opportunities.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think I'm not doing this right. :D

I get the general frustration surrounding the fanbase. A 3-0 game doesn't look good in any light, especially at home. I don't think they played too poorly and at times where victims of horrendous bounces (the 2-0 goal and Schultz had a wide open net that the puck jumped over his stick). But the Blues played a fantastic hockey game. People around here often look at how the Oilers played and not their opposition.

The Blues are a damn good hockey club. They have pieces all over the place that most of us Oiler fans would kill for. But the real culprit here...

Is the Avalanche GM for that ******, ****ing downright ******* stupid Erik Johnson trade. That trade put the Blues over the top (at least in terms of making the jump from good to great) and sank the Avs.

Alberta Oilfire

Jun 4, 2010
Central Alberta
Some one in Edmonton please sharpen Taylor Hall's skates' watching him slide around the ice is almost more annoying than Hemsky's Hustle meter. Grrrrr, tough to come on here today and be positive about this horrid team. Sell mode now? Good bye Whitney, Good riddance Belanger, Hoping Hemmer gets dealt.......

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

While theres some truth to this theres possibly some fiction as well.

Pay attention to the good teams executing their breakout. STl, LA, and Bruins are breakout legends. They perform this admirably and with fantastic puck support and rapidfire decision making and puck movement. I'm virtually amazed how well these clubs move the puck up ice virtually untouched and consistently to open ice conceived spots. This is textbook fantastic execution and something to behold.

Basically these are teams that are actually REMOVING battle from the game in own zone or NZ. IN essence moving the puck out of there before you even lay a hand on them. Not only the Oilers either. The speed at which these teams execute their breakout, and flawless make it is hard to keep up with unless a team is equally adept at it.

You can't hit what you can't catch. That was more the story last night and we could be playing a very similar game. But only if ALL the players buy in.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I get the general frustration surrounding the fanbase. A 3-0 game doesn't look good in any light, especially at home. I don't think they played too poorly and at times where victims of horrendous bounces (the 2-0 goal and Schultz had a wide open net that the puck jumped over his stick). But the Blues played a fantastic hockey game. People around here often look at how the Oilers played and not their opposition.

The Blues are a damn good hockey club. They have pieces all over the place that most of us Oiler fans would kill for. But the real culprit here...

Is the Avalanche GM for that ******, ****ing downright ******* stupid Erik Johnson trade. That trade put the Blues over the top (at least in terms of making the jump from good to great) and sank the Avs.

For sure, my read on the Blues this year is Definite SC contender. They are my darkhorse this year. Maybe even favorite. Last night was simply the best opponent execution we've witnessed all year. What impressed me is through 32 minutes we held this Blues team to 9shots. Then we screwed up and tried to open it up against them. By the end of the 2nd period the Oilers had lost the gameplan and guys started to adlib. But for 32 mins we played an unfamiliar, but very necessary game that this club needs to know how to play.

That avalanche trade was sinfully bad.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
tbh it sounds more like a saw off they you might think. Seems almost an equivalent amount of players having good years and fallback years.

As a club there hasn't been significant regression or improvement. I do think playing exclusively against WC foes hasn't helped our cause. Also that there is no hopelessly bad teams this year that we can pad pts on. The WC is playing better hockey this year and due to shortened games and all games being more important theres less nights where opponents are taking the game off.

Individually, there is more regression than progression as far as i can see and that shouldn't be happening at this point of the "rebuild".
The general gameplay of the team has levelled off at best.

I do agree that there is possibly some merit to their struggles being due to playing against exclusively West teams (God, i hope that management doesn't use this as an excuse) but by and large, this team is stuck in the mud and we should be seeing some natural progression by now. It's kind of a mess.

The positive is that it doesn't seem like they are going to go on a flukey playoff run so there should be no delusion in the eyes of management that this thing is headed in the right direction and they should be scared into making some big moves.
Then again, Tambellini hasn't shown the ability to identify problems and properly address them so the outlook doesn't look too rosy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
For sure, my read on the Blues this year is Definite SC contender. They are my darkhorse this year. Maybe even favorite. Last night was simply the best opponent execution we've witnessed all year. What impressed me is through 32 minutes we held this Blues team to 9shots. Then we screwed up and tried to open it up against them. By the end of the 2nd period the Oilers had lost the gameplan and guys started to adlib. But for 32 mins we played an unfamiliar, but very necessary game that this club needs to know how to play.

That avalanche trade was sinfully bad.

If we play that way against most teams in the West we'll have a chance to win. I don't think getting shut out by the Blues should be a completely discouraging thing.

I know it's a shabby excuse but the puck definitely wasn't bouncing in their favour last night. When Schultz missed the empty net (or rather the puck missed his stick) I said to myself it's going to be one of those nights where nothing goes right.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

And that's why it shouldn't be taken seriously.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Players already getting the big contract have regressed players looking for a contract are playing awesome. And this rule goes for most of the team and it even reaches farther.

Gagne playing for the contract
Paajarvi playing for the contract
Hemsky playing to get traded then big contract next year
Whitney picking up the pace for the contract

Eberle is already good money wise
Hall is already good money wise (Hall doesn't fit this he still wants to win)
Horcoff, well, regressed since his contract

Rnh not due yet but will pick it up when he needs his contract (if the others taught him well)
Belanger is due to have a good year next for his contract
N Schultz is due to have a good year next for his contract

Smyth is good for a couple of years then will retire

There are a few who just cannot step up to get a contract

YaKupov will learn this system, just watch when it is his time
J Shultz will learn the system, just watch when it's time

Seems the best teamwork is helping each other to look good for the contract.

Management is secure with their jobs so don't need to perform

Katz is getting a full house and making money hand over fist so doesnt see a need for change

Krueger needs to worry (or not, he might get a manegement promotion or has a two year contract)

We're toast, nobody has the need to perform other than some fourth liners and a few hungry third liners..

It gets worse. The media has plenty to talk about when we lose plus they seem to be saying whatever is scripted anyway. The NHL doesn't care because the Oilers still bring in money and send in money and what else is there?

Until the team starts loosing money were hooped.

For us to win a stanley cup we need ALL the contracts to come due at the same time.

Last edited:

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Oh here we go...

Not when its smallest possible font and a weird one at that.

What did I miss?

Please enlighten.

Just surprised you'd characterize something as an angry missive that you haven't read. Particularly when it pointed out that Hall and Horcoff basically said the same thing but that Horcoff, who's 14 years older, has the experience dealing with the media to say it in a way that's less likely to piss people off.

So, briefly, I may write angry missives (although I didn't here) but at least I tend to know what I'm talking about.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Just surprised you'd characterize something as an angry missive that you haven't read. Particularly when it pointed out that Hall and Horcoff basically said the same thing but that Horcoff, who's 14 years older, has the experience dealing with the media to say it in a way that's less likely to piss people off.

So, briefly, I may write angry missives (although I didn't here) but at least I tend to know what I'm talking about.

Best team like effort is here on the boards. Fight fight fight. He scores!!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I did read it. I was wondering if I missed something is all.

Look, we're all prone to reactions with this club and being long suffering fans of it. tbh I still don't gather how you are differentiating Horc and Halls comments on this or really the relevance of what they mean and how they are perceived. Sounds like a fishing excursion to me and nothing else.

I don't see the significance. In both cases the comments are better then "I just couldn't get into it".

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I'm no big fan of MC79 but man did he ever nail it in that blog.
Reading through the PGT yesterday I was prompted to go to the CHED audiovault to listen to just how bad Tencer's show was last night ... and it was bad.
That post game show (and unfortunately Rob Brown has to be included here) was terribly disappointing to fans who care about this team. I was so furious with the apologizing going on in that broadcast that I was considering putting together some of the quotes and writing a post similar to the blog MC79 posted. But then I thought, **** it because it was after midnight and why waste good energy on a team that obviously doesn't care what the fans think. So I am very glad that MC79 put that blog post up, and I urge fans here who may not have listened to the CHED postgame show last night to go to the audiovault page and check it out.

I think what Tencer and Brown don't understand (and I can't fathom why they wouldn't understand this) is that the fans aren't mad that the team lost to the Blues last night. They are mad that this team is losing for the sixth or seventh straight season and management/ownership seems to have no response other than to throw out some meaningless quotes for use in the next episode of Oil Change.

Fans are tired of the losers running this show. We are tired of the owner who is running this franchise into the ground while threatening the city with various dire consequences if he doesn't get the new arena he feels he deserves after a tenure as owner that could be described as nothing less that disastrous.

Not only should we be booing this sadsack team, we should start booing at the drop of the first puck. Why wait? This group of losers deserves to be booed whenever they are seen in public. The tools running this show need to know that just because they don't have any pride in the sweater that doesn't mean the fans are lapping up the **** they are selling.

Tencer and Brown claim the boos "help" the opposition get fired up. Fine - actually great. I honestly don't care if this team wins another game until Tamby gets fired. Let the boos rain down and let the opposition revel in them. This collection of losers wearing Oilers jerseys aren't worth cheering for. And everyone associated with the organization needs to understand that in the clearest way possible.

Mowzie made a post above that didn't get much notice. He said he called into CHED and asked about the lazy Oiler's practice he watched, and how he wondered why a team as bad as the Oilers wouldn't be practicing a whole lot harder than what he witnessed. I happened to hear that call and I couldn't believe the way Tencer scoffed the notion away. And then to hear the same radio host come out and say that this team is trying hard enough - and to have the captain say "its not like anyone in the room has given up" .... well, these are just insults added to injury.

Props to Disgruntled Goat for his excellent post above as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad