Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-0 ...Game Over

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
A broken clock is right twice a day too.

Exactly. Or how about this one: "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while." They're idioms, but they're also generally recognized as a fact. Well, not sure about the squirrel one--I don't think there's much funding for tracking a blind squirrel around (let alone finding one)...

I'm not a Dellow fan, and I don't agree with most of what he says; I didn't even read all that he had to say about last night's game--just the excerpt that Mowzie posted in this thread, and I happen to think Tyler is right this time with regards to what was in said excerpt.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I just can't fathom their reply, Brown honestly wants to make a point on how Edmonton is compared to Detroit, Vancouver and San Jose as if we're gaining ground on them? San Jose has been one of the league's worst teams after their 7 game win streak, Vancouver up until recently has been average at best, and Detroit lost Lidstrom... For him to try and pretend like those teams are still dominant forces and we are catching up to them is absolutely idiotic.

My point about the practice, I got the "privilege" of watching an Oilers practice on Tuesday afternoon by winning one of the 93 jerseys. I don't watch tons of practices, so I have nothing to compare it to, but what I seen out there was 3 really nice coaches running an intensity and urgency free practice. I find it frustrating that while feeding us this "playoff drive" crap, that the practice was so bland. If this was a team that came out in games with lots of energy and controlled the pace, I wouldn't worry, but watching this predominantly reactionary team practice so casually makes me think there are teams in other cities that have a sense of urgency in their routine, and those teams, presumably are gonna be the teams in the stretch drive that beat us and take the last couple playoff spots we covet.

How this team runs with a short-handed coaching staff is beyond me. For a team deficient in EVERY possible category that makes excuses about shortened seasons and lack of preparation time, I can't help but think one extra coach may be of SOME benefit.

Thanks for this Mowzie. I have never seen this team practice so input like this is appreciated.

I happen to think that your observation regarding practice is something that rarely if ever gets talked about. Its been said that teams play like they practice and these social club practices (if they are the norm) may explain why this team is so ill prepared and lack intensity at the beginning of games. How incongruent is it to have a practice that lacks any kind of intensity during one of the most critical times in this so called rebuild. A time when this young team needs to learn that very lesson.

Its amazing to see this incongruency and lack of accountability filter all the way from Katz through to Management and the players.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Thanks for this Mowzie. I have never seen this team practice so input like this is appreciated.

I happen to think that your observation regarding practice is something that rarely if ever gets talked about. Its been said that teams play like they practice and these social club practices (if they are the norm) may explain why this team is so ill prepared and lack intensity at the beginning of games. How incongruent is it to have a practice that lacks any kind of intensity during one of the most critical times in this so called rebuild. A time when this young team needs to learn that very lesson.

Its amazing to see this incongruency and lack of accountability filter all the way from Katz through to Management and the players.

The Oilers fan relations guy told us right away that the Oilers have closed practices and that what we were about to see was privileged viewing. I definitely wouldn't use the word SOCIAL though. We were grouped together and told not to disturb the players or raise our voices, the only player to acknowledge us was Yakupov, who even went out of his way to make sure the little girl pressed up against the glass got a puck. To everyone else, we were totally invisible, I would have appreciated a wave or smile, if not for me, then for the little kids that were there. We were 3 rows up from the glass too, so we were close enough for them to be able to atleast look at us and wave.

After a very boring practice, the highlight being spotting Sean Brown watching a couple chairs down, we were told to wait in the "Cottswood Lounge" which is apparently Siberia with leather couches. "Just a few minutes" turned in to a good hour, then I was taken in to another room to meet Yakupov. Oilers PR were very quick to tell me that I will not have contact with any other players, and that I am only allowed to get one autograph. I was lucky enough to run in to Hall while going to grab my jacket... he did sign my jersey, but was sort of a jerk about it and made sure he showed me how much of an inconvenience I was. Still love the guy though.

Sorry for getting off track, but for a "prize" that this club put so much time and effort in to, it was really a second rate experience.

To get back on track, I agree that your play reflects your practice, which is why I was so frustrated with the practice. I wanna see some urgency and desperation SOMEWHERE in this organization, there is a contentness and a sense of entitlement with this organization that makes me want to puke.

This franchise treats its fans like 5 year olds on a long road trip. We ask "are we there yet" and they say "5 more minutes", we ask again in an hour and they say "five more minutes"...

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I could understand practices lacking intensity if the games had intensity. Or even the other way around, but when both the games and practices lack intensity it's upsetting to say the least.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I just can't fathom their reply, Brown honestly wants to make a point on how Edmonton is compared to Detroit, Vancouver and San Jose as if we're gaining ground on them? San Jose has been one of the league's worst teams after their 7 game win streak, Vancouver up until recently has been average at best, and Detroit lost Lidstrom... For him to try and pretend like those teams are still dominant forces and we are catching up to them is absolutely idiotic.

My point about the practice, I got the "privilege" of watching an Oilers practice on Tuesday afternoon by winning one of the 93 jerseys. I don't watch tons of practices, so I have nothing to compare it to, but what I seen out there was 3 really nice coaches running an intensity and urgency free practice. I find it frustrating that while feeding us this "playoff drive" crap, that the practice was so bland. If this was a team that came out in games with lots of energy and controlled the pace, I wouldn't worry, but watching this predominantly reactionary team practice so casually makes me think there are teams in other cities that have a sense of urgency in their routine, and those teams, presumably are gonna be the teams in the stretch drive that beat us and take the last couple playoff spots we covet.

How this team runs with a short-handed coaching staff is beyond me. For a team deficient in EVERY possible category that makes excuses about shortened seasons and lack of preparation time, I can't help but think one extra coach may be of SOME benefit.

They are not short handed, MacT has his fingers all over this team. MacT is the exact reason they did not get another coach according to Krueger.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
A team built and run like the Blues will beat up on a team like built and run like the Oilers all the time.

Why do we do so well against Chicago? Because they play like the Oilers and guess what we can beat teams like that.

Too bad the majority of teams in the west are big teams who love to grind out wins.

I have been saying this on these boards for years that the majority of "fans" want the 80s Oilers back and when the management heard this they decided to try and build that team again the only problem is that it is 2013 and that style won't work.

They are a bit of a confused group though because they went out last year after grabbing Yakupov and drafted a bunch of bruisers, btw most of you guys hated that..like really hated, so while they have this current group of small,skilled and fast forwards they seem to think that maybe we just might need some size at some point. Not only just size but guys who are not afraid to use it either.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I agree with Joe. I think we'd be in the playoffs in the East.

I said a couple of months ago that the fact we have no games this season against the East would hurt our playoff chances.

Tambo, Lowe et al thought if we just get enough skill, at some point we'll be able to beat any team. Unfortunately with the game the fastest it's ever been, and better video scouting and systems play, it seems to me that most of the time, the Western Conference style of play can beat skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad