News Article: Oilers lead the league in buried salary cap

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
It doesn't matter much because we're not near the cap and it will all soon come off the books but this sure sums up MacT as GM:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/buried-salary-cap-hits-edmonton-oilers-calgary-flames-philadelphia-flyers-karri-ramo-nikita-nikitin-andrew-macdonald/

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
We should be higher. Ference and Purcell aren't buried and I wouldn't care if they were. Not my money.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We should be higher. Ference and Purcell aren't buried and I wouldn't care if they were. Not my money.

for sure, I view our buried cap space as a good thing. It's all part of Chiarelli raising standards around here.

So good for Chiarelli to do this, and good on Katz for being okay with wasting millions on these buried players.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Not to worry. Katz will make it up when he doubles the price of tickets next season.

That's not fair. Katz should ask MacT to reimburse him for all this waysted $$$ that he was mostly responsible for. Ask MacT to give it back, it's his fault not the fans.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
If it was the same management team in charge that made all these mistakes, yeah this would be a bad thing. But all it really signals is competent management being in place of inept former management.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I am shocked there isn't more NHL money buried in the minor leagues. The Oilers could be higher, but I wouldn't call Scrivens a horrible AHL player. He is just slightly overpayed for an NHL backup, and had we no one younger to fill his role, he would have been an acceptable NHL backup to start the season.

So that would have balance some of the Ference non counting to the AHL.

Overall I am surprised that so little money puts you at the top of the burying money group, though I guess they aren't counting all the money buried and bought out that isn't counted such as retired players etc that aren't even playing on the otehr teams too

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Think that's bad, just wait until Purcell gets waived.

Then there's Ference, who we can't waive... he just sits in the press box. We've got everyone doubled.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That's not fair. Katz should ask MacT to reimburse him for all this waysted $$$ that he was mostly responsible for. Ask MacT to give it back, it's his fault not the fans.

Katz deserves to lose all the money he's losing for employing those two Schmucks for as long as he has.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
it'd be a good contest between us and Philly in who could buried more useless capspace

Nikitin
Schivens
Purcell
Ference

vs.

MacDonald
Lecavalier
Umburger

Though at least 3/4 of the Oilers have their deals expire after this season...

#Boldmoves

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I am shocked there isn't more NHL money buried in the minor leagues. The Oilers could be higher, but I wouldn't call Scrivens a horrible AHL player. He is just slightly overpayed for an NHL backup, and had we no one younger to fill his role, he would have been an acceptable NHL backup to start the season.

So that would have balance some of the Ference non counting to the AHL.

Overall I am surprised that so little money puts you at the top of the burying money group, though I guess they aren't counting all the money buried and bought out that isn't counted such as retired players etc that aren't even playing on the otehr teams too

There's little reward to burying players at this point due to the fact you get less that a million in savings. Generally if you're sending someone down, it's to make a statement.

But it this way in today's environment, guy's like Redden or Heut would never have gotten sent down.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Purcell
Ference
Scrivens
Nikitin

Amazingly, Ference is the omly guy who's been here longer than a year. MacT flushed all that cap space down the toliet in less than 12 months!

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Meh, most are gone after this year. Not like we need the cap all that much.

Im pretty giddy that next season we are looking at 9-10 mill in extra cap space. That provides room for some key resigining and allows us to land a solid vet for 4-5 mil

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
That video brings back the memories of how bloody awful the past 2 years have been.

Yes, it's been edited to make MacT look like a stammering fool, but, it's basically an accurate portrayal. The guy had no answers.

His cluelessness on so many fronts - particularly the coaching - combined with his hubris and general incompetence was just sooooo frustrating.

It still makes me feel ill just thinking about it.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Meh, most are gone after this year. Not like we need the cap all that much.

Im pretty giddy that next season we are looking at 9-10 mill in extra cap space. That provides room for some key resigining and allows us to land a solid vet for 4-5 mil

This line of thought i wrong now, will be wrong next year and has always been wrong. 'Meh We don't need the cap room this year'

It makes a huge difference having cap room when looking at trades and the trade deadline. Other teams are looking to rebuild or are ready for a big shake up, they want picks and prospects and are willing to give up a high end expensive player. You can't make the deal because you have 3 or 4 high priced scrubs in the minors.

Nothing we can do now because these players are so bad no one wants anything to do with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad