GDT: Oilers @ Jets • Sun Oct 23, 3PM • Heritage Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
A boring game is a boring game. Hughson was near monotone and the game was entirely too quiet with no mics near the stands. These games are supposed to be about atmosphere and there was none.

Don't be mad.

Sure Hughson was monotone, he was clearly cheering for the Jets.

He called the Oilers the "evil visitors" a couple of times.

Hrudey is very anti-Oilers.
They were so sad when we started winning.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Bizarre performance by the Jets.

Was watching the 1st with my dad and said "The cross-ice passes, giving the puck back to the point, and one-timers aren't working because of the bad ice, whichever team figures this out first will win this game". Oilers came out in the second, stopped worrying about stretch passes and one-timers, took the 3-0 lead and Winnipeg never clued in, were still trying to set up one-timers and putting pucks back to the point, only to watch them hop over sticks. Odd.

Good observation and was thinking about this late in the game.

Also of note, Jets have been pretty bad in the 2nd periods for far this year. Very lopsided numbers.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Bizarre performance by the Jets.

Was watching the 1st with my dad and said "The cross-ice passes, giving the puck back to the point, and one-timers aren't working because of the bad ice, whichever team figures this out first will win this game". Oilers came out in the second, stopped worrying about stretch passes and one-timers, took the 3-0 lead and Winnipeg never clued in, were still trying to set up one-timers and putting pucks back to the point, only to watch them hop over sticks. Odd.

Good observation and was thinking about this late in the game.

Also of note, Jets have been pretty bad in the 2nd periods for far this year. Very lopsided numbers.

Doesn't take a genius to figure this out. When has the ice ever been good for an outdoor game, it's the same every year. Even when it's "decent", it's still awful compared to the rest of the year.

So either the Jets are collectively the dumbest team in the league or it's simply how the game unfolded for the first period with players for some reason trying to put on a show.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hughson is bored at any game the Canucks aren't playing in. No idea how he got a national gig.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
a bit of both, we're alot better than last year but mistakes r still made, but i could see us battling for a playoff spot

oilers aren't dominating while they win. its just them grinding out wins. they certainly aren't a 5-1 team but they aren't the 1-5 team from the past. middle of the pack. I see them battling for a playoff spot.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
oilers aren't dominating while they win. its just them grinding out wins. they certainly aren't a 5-1 team but they aren't the 1-5 team from the past. middle of the pack. I see them battling for a playoff spot.

How do ya figure that?

It seems to me they won 5 games and lost 1 so far.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Oilers have deserved to win every game that they've won, which isn't something that has happened for them in like a decade.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

They outplayed St Louis. They have their off times, sure, but by no means do they win without controlling the play a hefty amount of time.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Oilers have deserved to win every game that they've won, which isn't something that has happened for them in like a decade.

maybe im expecting old oilers blood to leech into the system :laugh:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
A boring game is a boring game. Hughson was near monotone and the game was entirely too quiet with no mics near the stands. These games are supposed to be about atmosphere and there was none.

Don't be mad.

I know for me what makes or breaks the game is the tone of the announcer's voice.

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg

everyone likes to think the announcers are against them. Realistically, it's BS. If you couldn't pick up on the tone used for the "evil visitors" line, I don't even know how to help you.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon

The only game that could've gone either way was the Carolina game, and even then its not like we were outplayed by much if at all.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo

As someone with no dog in the fight. This site gets from mad when the oileus win.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
everyone likes to think the announcers are against them. Realistically, it's BS. If you couldn't pick up on the tone used for the "evil visitors" line, I don't even know how to help you.

you mean that flat tone he uses whenever it's not Vancouver?

He wanted the home team to win the outdoor game. I think he would have been the same for anyone but Vancouver. Hughson should never have gone national. He only was a bit pro-jets because you were hosting. Most games he wants Vancouver to win, regardless of their participation in the game.

Hrudey has an axe to grind with the Oilers though. Simpson is just awful.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Oilers win. First in NHL. "I have to find something to complain about... Boring game? Yeah that should do!"

I was on edge most of the game. It was highly entertaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad